Bangkok - What should I eat? (updated with Photos)

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by scon, Feb 18, 2014.

1. pugsley

pugsley Member

Man i miss Thai food. Impossible to have a bad meal over there.

2. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

The one and most loved food form me in Thailand is green curry. There is no place to get a better one. Unfortunately the one you get on the streets tend to be a bit "oily".

3. Taceo Corpus

Taceo Corpus Member

Are you home? Photos?! :D

4. OP
    OP
    scon

scon Member

Ah, I've been remiss. I'll put googlemaps links to all of the places too just in case anyone else decides they want to try any of this if they're in Bangkok. Costs are all in Thai Baht which translates to about 30THB:1AUD

So the first two are from a place called "Muslim Restaurant" which was just outside the hotel we stayed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The first was Oxtail Soup, so it had a couple hunks of slow cooked oxtail swimming in a limey broth, really yummy - the gelatinous hunks of skin attached to the oxtail were delicious, the other pastry looking thing is called a Mahtabak - basically a roti stuffed with beef, egg and I think there was some fenugreek leaf in there too - unfortunately that wasn't cooked fresh to order but it was delicious all the same cost for the two plus some iced tea was 170THB.

Further down the road at a place called Prachak Pet Yang (since 1909) I got a bunch of Chinese BBQ meats, including some of the best duck I've ever had. The lot cost about 430THB and could have fed about 4-5 and up the back are some banana fritters I bought from a little hawker stall for 20THB on the way back.

[​IMG]

I ventured up to Yaowarat (Chinatown) a few times, one thing I was really keen on trying was the Goo-ay Jap Nam Guy (Pork Offal Soup) - this was awesome, again a super clear broth but this time with loads (and I mean loads) of white pepper. There were little slices of tongue and liver in there and a nice big hunk of crispy roast pork, ate that with a glass of freshly made mango juice, 80THB for the soup, 40THB for the juice.

[​IMG]

My wife got sick, some kind of flu (which I eventually caught but luckily not until we came home - she kept getting annoyed by my calling her patient zero) and so unfortunately she didn't really enjoy our going to Nahm, which was our only real splurge on that holiday. Run by the Australian, David Thompson, the night before it was voted the best restaurant in Asia in the San Pellegrino awards, I didn't take any photos because I don't like to in fancy places, but we had:

• Chilli Prawn Relish on Pinapple as an amuse bouche.
    • Rice Crispy Pancake with lime & kaffir lime and chicken canape.
    • Crab salad on toasted rice canape.
    • Smoked catfish and tapioca ball canape - these were amazing.
    • Betel Leaf with papaya salad canape.
    • Then a awesome mixed mushroom dtom yum and then we shared:
    • Lobster & Mangosteen Salad
    • A red crab curry
    • Grilled pork cheek with a dipping sauce (I think it was a crying tiger style sauce)
    • Salted duck egg, sweet crispy pork and grilled catfish relish.

It was all amazing, unfortunately the wife had to go home so we skipped dessert. Food at Nahm was 2000THB each.

So back to street food, I was up checking out all the Wats (temples) and the Grand Palace and grabbed a curry at a roadside stall called Pa Aew and had a simple, but delicious pork curry with pea eggplants. They also had some bbq'd whole fish which I really regret not getting. The curry was 40THB.

[​IMG]
    Several times I had tried to go to Nay Mong up in Yaowarat to get their stir fried oysters on crispy batter - I went there three times and it was closed every time. On our last night we were in Bangkok I dragged the wife out who was feeling a little better, originally to go to a place called Jay Fai, which is supposed to do the best drunken noodles in town, however we couldn't actually get there due to roads being closed because of all of the protests - I could see the taxi driver was also getting a bit worried so I told him to turn around and head back to Chinatown and luckily Nay Mong was open, so we went in and got the oysters on both the regular and crispy batter, this photo is of the regular batter, which I preferred, I think the gooey texture really complimented the oysters.

[​IMG]

And then on the way back from that I was in the mood for a pigout so I grabbed 10 satays for 50THB. Yummo.

[​IMG]

5. Taceo Corpus

Taceo Corpus Member

Thanks for posting that write-up, scon! One of the best things about travelling is the food. :D:thumbup:

Nice photos, too! That meal Nahm sounds incredible.

6. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

i'd have shot with a stop or two smaller aperture on some of them tbh :p

7. Sorrow

Sorrow Member

I miss proper street food :(

8. vec

vec (Taking a Break)

Absolutely the street food, give restaurants a miss in Bangkok.

My #1 favorite snack is deep fried chicken knuckles from the street vendors in BKK. The absolute perfect food to have with a few cold beers.

9. Zee

Zee Member

Well, this thread is handy, looks like I may be headed to BKK in a few weeks. I'll be adding a few of those to my hit list...

Z...

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  10. OP
    OP
    scon

scon Member

Nice one. It seems that the protesters have moved out of the streets and into the parks now so it should be a little easier to move around now. If you have any trouble finding anything or want any more info let me know.

Cheers.

11. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

As someone who travels to Thailand 1-2 times a month...

Street Food...

Market Food...

If you want to go to a fancy place, you're not really going for Thai food.

Some of the best food I've had was random homes on the side of the motorway. Beef Noodles stocked with some Chilli, Sugar, Fishsauce, Vinagar.

Shits amazballs.

12. Raptor_Eye

Raptor_Eye Member

my fiance is Thai and we are still working on visa's so i travel to Thailand a lot.

Yes street food is very good & not all restaurants are 'bad' however you just pay a lot more for food that usually tastes no better, though you do usually get higher quality meat & chicken etc from the expensive restaurants.

I would not eat at cheaper restaurants though (there are a lot of cheaper buffet style restaurants and least to say food hygiene is not high on there list of priority's)

But street food where they cook it in-front of your eyes is perfectly safe and very yummy.

13. Zee

Zee Member

Yeah, I'm generally a street food person, I have a few favourites that I hit up on my trips, though that Nahm place has me curious...

Z...

14. Taceo Corpus

Taceo Corpus Member

This isn't f=48. ;)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  15. Glitchlol

Glitchlol Member

I'll be in Bangkok in a few weeks too.

There's this one stall I always get my grilled pork from on soi sukhumvit 7, unfortunately just outside the seedy infamous beir garden!

60TBH gets you enough pork for 2 people, sticky rice and some spicy papaya salad if he hasn't sold out.

Cocktail van that sets up just outside the Park Hotel is really friendly too. 120TBH bucket cocktails. Mao off $8 AU and it wasn't goon.

16. wwwww

wwwww Member

Where abouts is it? I could use nice Isaan food there. I usually drink at New Wave and they get their food from the food court next to it (it's bad)

Can you pin point it on this satellite footage of the area:
    Code:
    _____[U]Sukhumvit[/U]____
        |S|____________________
    NW  |o_[U]passage to soi 5[/U]____
    FC  |i|
    ASS | |BG
        |5|
        | |

NW=New Wave
    FS=Food Court
    BG=Bier Garden
    ASS=Hotel who whinges when you park in front of it with the cocktail van in front

17. fester2001

fester2001 Member

100% agree with this less the pineapple (only because I don't like pineapple)

18. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

Worst place to go for Isaan food is Bangkok or anywhere south.

19. wwwww

wwwww Member

Yes I know, but sometimes one finds oneself in one place and has a craving for food from another place - one has to make do.

20. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

Fair enough.

Fun fact, milk is thai is Nom...

Its also the worst Thai people use for Tit...

Nom nom nom nom...