Banned Dog - Dogo Argentino

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by n3wbi379, Aug 24, 2015.

1. n3wbi379

n3wbi379 Member

Hey guys iv taken a fancy to a dogo argentino for the family.... Great toward family and its owner but also very protective with em too.

perfect when im at work on the week ends...

Currently banned in Australia but a bit of searching around, there are breeders across Australia.

How does this work, banned but you can buy it?

2. Rabnud

Rabnud Member

It's a banned breed... ie... It's BANNED

For good reason. Unless you have vast experience training dogs then this breed is way out of your league. You would need to be a very dominant and skilled dog trainer.

DO NOT trust this breed around kids if you have any doubt of you're own ability to master it.

And you'll never be able to register it... because it's BANNED

3. OP
    OP
    n3wbi379

n3wbi379 Member

Thanks for that i didnt relise it was banned.
    :rolleyes:

Didnt really answer the question just an opinion. No more dangerous then a German Shepherd.

How is some1 allowed to advertise and sell something that is banned?

Ps: when i read it was banned and crossed it off the list.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  4. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

Anyone in Australia breeding them (legitimately) faces massive fines and potential prison time. Even if they are cross breeding.

Each state has similar laws - 1 penalty unit = $110.

Specific information for VIC:

Breeder not in VIC.

In addition to this:
    I.E you cannot legally own that breed.

In NSW
    Breeder can't be in NSW.

In QLD
    Breeder can't be in QLD.

In SA
    Breeder can't be in SA.

In WA
    Breeder can't be in WA.

So anyone telling you they are breeding Dogo's and selling them as such is either a liar, and / or doing so illegally.

As an owner you can't buy or sell them either, and if they are all desexed in every state, they aren't going to be able to breed.

Your best bet if you want something similar is a Mastiff or Bull Terrier / Bull Arab type dog. But PLEASE read up on the breed information, and research research research if the breed will fit your lifestyle, because the dog will pay the penalty if you choose incorrectly

There are far too many dogs in shelters because owners have picked "the wrong dog", or because they've failed to understand the breed they bought.

One reason why a lot of malamutes / huskies / staffies find themselves in shelters. Because the owners tossed them in the too hard basket because they didn't understand the breed they were buying.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2015
  5. JugV2

JugV2 Member

Fuck all malamutes or huskies are in shelters, they may change hands but are very very rare in shelters.

Source - I am a director of an animal rescue.

Dogo's are required to be a single animal household with a strong, dominant, intelligent and consistent owner. This is an impossible ask in Australia. Most dogs that are in need of these requirements in an owner end up being PTS.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  6. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

When we were weighing up options of getting a med/large dog recently and looking at the RSPCA and other large rescue organisations, a large majority of dogs up for rescue were staffies/huskies/malamutes.

My point still remains though.. about knowing the breed before you get the dog, and get a dog that suits your lifestyle.

Unfortunately far too often people buy the dog for it's looks than its suitability.

Or they get the dog and don't understand the breed well enough.

E.G Getting a Kelpie or Border Collie, when you want to sit around all day after work, leave it in a small backyard, and never exercise it, is asking for trouble as its the wrong breed for such a person.

7. WJR

WJR (Banned or Deleted)

They probably do it the same way the Pit Bull breeders get around BSL....call it something else.

8. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

QFT...

Our Kelpie X gets a walk twice a day and vigorous tug-o-war sessions after those walks and I still get the impression he could do more!

That said - He doesn't seem to be destructive or overly sad when we go to work so maybe he's happy.

9. Craggles

Craggles Member

With so many other breeds available in Australia I just cant understand why you would even consider wanting a dog like this.

10. JugV2

JugV2 Member

Even if you were able to buy one, given it is a banned breed, if something happens and it did bite someone (god forbid it bit a kid) can you imagine the shitstorm that would rain down upon you?

11. Juggs

Juggs Member

this is incorrect before buying our latest dog i went through the pounds in sydney 60-70% were staffy or staffy crosses a large number of huskies were present, at least over 20 dogs between the pounds i looked at

12. Tinian

Tinian Member

I'm against BSL, but with the Dogo, you can be assured that almost anyone in Australia who specifically wanted that breed is the wrong person to do so. The Dogo is seriously aggressive to anything that is unfamiliar and is inherently unsociable towards strangers and other animals.

13. kombiman

kombiman Dis-Member

What could possible go wrong with your kids, their friends or visitors? :eek:

Why would you want such an animal?

14. Tinian

Tinian Member

It's not a definite that harm will accrue, but they are very protective and not the most social. They also have great capacity for harm.

That being said, they're reportedly magnificent hunting animals which is unsurprising given that's what they were bred to do.

15. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

Unfortunately bogans have tarnished the name of many breeds. Then you have those breds that have disposition to being aggressive.

E.G.
    1. Rotties get a bad name, yet police and security use them as they are highly trainable. With a deadbeat owner they can be trouble. With the right owner wonderful sooky dogs.

2. Someone I know had a Doberman. Big muscular dog. As you approached the house, she'd snarl and bark and you'd hope like hell the fence was going to hold. Yet you'd go inside and as long as her owner was home, she'd roll on her back and want her tummy rubbed. Amazingly affectionate, but jump their fence and I reckon you'd be in pretty bad shape.

That's why its so important to match your lifestyle with the right breed. Heck even a Lab or Jack Russell can bite under the wrong circumstances.

16. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

I'm trying to wrap my head around on why the ciggie butt brains are drawn to these breeds.

17. Revenge

Revenge Member

Same answer for both... it's cheaper than a V8 Commodore and serves (in the owners mind) that same penis extending purpose.

18. JugV2

JugV2 Member

Sadly you're 100% correct.

A shame when there are so many great dogs in shelters begging for a loving owner.

19. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

Exactly ... and what's funny is if you asked them, they'd spit out the line about loving their dog and doing anything for it?

Yet by treating the dog like they do, they run a real risk of it being destroyed when it attacks someone.

I doubt such owners realise dogs don't actually know right from wrong.

20. Zee

Zee Member

A friend of the family had a Doberman many years ago - she's a "little old lady", and he was quite the large Doberman. She refused to have his tail docked when she bought him as a pup, nor his ears clipped. He was the most sooky dog I have ever met, very protective of his master, but such an incredible sook that I never would have known what he actually was had it not been spelled out for me. I actually really loved that dog, he had such an amazing personality, and capacity to "talk". I was very sad when I heard he had to be put to sleep.

Z...