Barramundi en papillote

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by hsvguy, Jul 30, 2015.

1. hsvguy

hsvguy Member

This is a super easy dish that produces awesome results. Tonight i'm using Barra as I hadn't tried it before, but this can be done with most white fish.

You will need:
    Piece of white fish
    Lemon
    Carrot/zucchini/spring onion/capsicum or any veg combination you think will work with the fish. I used carrot and zucchini as that's what I had in the fridge
    butter/olive oil
    White wine (optional)
    Herbs of your choice
    Baking paper.

Method:
    Julienne your veg and place to one side.

Grab a large piece of baking paper and fold it in half (its better to have too much than not enough, if you have too little you wont be able to complete the bag properly). The standard method here is now to cut the baking paper whilst folded into a half moon shape so it resembles a heart when unfolded, but it's not a necessity, I have done it without cutting and just using a folded piece.

Now brush one side of the paper with oil, and lay down your choice of veg and herbs, add some salt and pepper if you like. Lay your fish on top of the veg, a knob of butter and then a nice slice of lemon or two on the top as pictured. If you have a really thin piece of fish, you can fold or roll it to thicken the piece as to not overcook the fish.
    [​IMG]

There are videos on youtube on how to do this next part if you aren't familiar, but it's really easy. Fold the other half of the paper over, and beginning at one end, fold the edges together, move down a half an inch, and repeat the whole way around the opening till you get to the other end. As I said, refer to youtube, it's alot easier than it seems. Just before you seal the last bit, you can pour in a tablespoon of white wine if you like. You should be left with something like this.
    [​IMG]

Cook for approx 15-20 mins, depending on your fish thickness. Remove from the oven and serve in the bag. The fish is beautifully steamed and the lemon goes soft and gooey and you can then squeeze it over your fish. I served it with boiled potatoes and corn and it makes for a really clean meal.
    [​IMG]

Enjoy!!!!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  2. scon

scon Member

Yum. I do something simillar to this with salmon, but put potato salad with lots of mayo underneath and slices of lemon and shittake on top. It's delicious!

3. OP
    OP
    hsvguy

hsvguy Member

Will try it as above next time, sounds awesome. :thumbup: