1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Basic Am386 Build

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade Worklogs' started by iMic, Jan 27, 2018.

1. badmofo

badmofo Member

Finding the right sounds card for a period build is the best of times and the worst of times. If you come across one then the PAS16 is an awesome 386 era sound card to play around with - not as easy to set up as the Creative alternatives but worth the effort I think. Once you have your mixer configured properly then they can sound really nice - a great OPL3 implementation.

They were bundled with an app called Track Blaster Pro, which is a simple but effective mod player for DOS.

2. Spearchucka

Spearchucka Member

If you require a desktop case, I still have your Microbits one here...

3. OP
    OP
    iMic

iMic Member

Cheers for looking after it. I recall trying to install the motherboard I have into that case at one point, but it wouldn't fit. I can't remember if it was due to cable length or the CPU heatsink contacting the 5.25" drive bays, but it was one of the two.

I may still end up assembling it in that case if nothing else. Just waiting to see how much free time I can scrape together.

4. adz

adz Member

Holy moly, thanks for that tip, the packet driver was doing my head in until I read that, now I have a networked 386 :leet: