Basic but quiet graphics cards

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Iron_Horse, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Iron_Horse

Iron_Horse Member

Hi everyone,
    I have a client with a brand new ASUS RX550-4G who says that the fan noise is too noisy.

I was wondering if anyone from their own experiences have any suggestions as to a quieter fan cooled graphics cards at roughly $150 with similar specs.

2. everybodies

everybodies Member

what is he doing with it?
    most cards will run fans full speed under load, best bet would be to get a card with more fans? like Gigabyte Windforce design.
    its not an easy ask

3. DarkSnipa

DarkSnipa Member

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  4. OP
    OP
    Iron_Horse

Iron_Horse Member

Wouldn't more fans cause just as much noise?? Web browsing and a bit of photoshop are the main things that they do.

5. Roscosity

Roscosity Member

Hey Iron_Horse, more fans usually lead to less noise as it means better cooling, which means the overall RPM for the fans will be lower, as most noise is only made at the higher RPMs on the fans

If they're really only using the card for web browsing and photoshop, then perhaps they could look into fully passive designs? (https://www.umart.com.au/newsite/go...MIvOrbut6c2AIVUAQqCh1TAgX8EAQYBiABEgIZgPD_BwE) But the performance is lower

Alternatively, they could look into the windforce series cards or a slightly better GPU, as it'll be able to handle more, therefore decreasing the power required under load

6. OP
    OP
    Iron_Horse

Iron_Horse Member

Thanks for all your suggestions everyone - we've sorted out an alternative. :)

7. cvidler

cvidler Member

I've got a asus GT710 2GB passive cooled card in my workshop PC, never sees a game, works fine running a 2K monitor (2560x1600) via DVI-D, zero noise.

8. power

power Member

got a few of these for the office - work well, do the job and the fan will never fail.