Basic Fish + Fishbowl Setup w/ Queries

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by Jm3, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Jm3

Jm3 (Banned or Deleted)

I went out and bought my girlfriend a fighter fish on the weekend. The lady at the pet shop was very nice, she pretty much explained everything to me and was very helpful. I asked alot of questions and thought I had asked them all but then my girlfriend started questioning me about somethings that I thought I knew and I've got no idea.

The setup is as follows:-

Fighter Fish in a fish bowl with gravel and a fake plant in the middle. I did as the lady at the pet store told and washed the bowl, gravel and plant well before adding water and then added the water treatment (1 drop per litre) which gets the water ready for a fish right away. Now I believe she said this was a tropical fish.

A few things:-

1. Girlfriend mentioned that the water has no oxygen or something and that the fish might die. She has been told by her mum who use to have a similar setup? Is this right? Are we missing anything? I have no idea what they are on about. All I could think of was the treatment I added, maybe that's what they were talking about?

2. I feel terrible when I see this cute little fish swimming in this bowl all by him/herself. Whilst he looks great I can't help but feel like he's lonely. Do fish get lonely? (seriously) I'm eventually going to get a big tank with more fishies.

3. Is my fishy male or female? Do they have genders? I know barramundi change sex to adapt, what about these fighter fishies. Girlfriend wants to give it a name but wants to know first. I'm hoping it's a girl otherwise we've got a little queen on our hands :p

[Pictures Will Go Here]

Thanks,
    Jamie

2. kr0nic

kr0nic Member

If it has the big massive fins then its a male. Im going to assume its a male because females are pretty hard to come by unless you go looking for them. Whatever you do dont put any other fish with it, plain and simply the fighter will kill it, dont put another fighter fish with it either as they will kill eachother.

There tropical fish yes, so might be worth buying a small aquarium heater to keep the temp around 23-26 degrees.

You really should get some kind of filtration happening, you can get very small hang on filters, if you really dont want to do this then i recommend 50% water changes every 3 or 4 days (depending on how big the bowl is).

If your bowl dosnt have a lid then you better get one quickly or you will walk into the room soon and find a dead fighter on the floor.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that fighters dont really need that much oxygen in the water compared to most tropical fish, but it certinally wouldnt kill it if you added a small pump and airstone.

And whatever you do dont feel sorry for the little fella and buy him a tank mate!

Also heres the difference between males and females for you:

Female : http://www.oneworldinternetcafe.com/betta/betta05G.jpg
    Male : http://badmanstropicalfish.com/abc/male_betta.jpg

Btw there usually called Bettas

Cant wait to see the pics :D

Last edited: Jul 23, 2007
  3. OP
    OP
    Jm3

Jm3 (Banned or Deleted)

Thanks for the quick reply! And so detailed too :D

Going by those pics we have a male, I'm almost 90% sure he fancies the same sex though as he looks like a girl :p

I know they don't like other fish, but I was thinking of having alot of smaller fish in the tank like those tetras. Would that be ok? He seemed ok in the shop with lots of other little ones around.

Also I live in Darwin so the temps are usually warmer. Also I will do the water change every week or so until we get a big tank and a filter. Oh and definately need a lid, I didn't think of that!

4. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Bettas are a "labyrinth fish" which means they have a weird cavity thing in the top of their head which is like a very rudimentary lung. Which means, in short, that they don't need that much aeration in the water because they can breathe air directly at the surface. Gouramis and some other fish are the same, not many though. I think this is because Bettas normally live in stagnant water which doesn't aerate much. But yeah, #1 reason I hear for Bettas dying is them getting too cold in winter (#2 reason is getting stuck behind heaters..)

edit: as for "other fish", anything that looks remotely like another male Betta will be savagely attacked by your Betta. so no fancy guppies etc. Check out their fish profile, usually a good place to start.

5. kr0nic

kr0nic Member

Tetras would be the worst possible tank mates for bettas. Not because the betta would kill the tetras but because tetras are notorious fin nippers and would bite off the bettas fins.

6. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Tetras are fin nippers? What kind of tetras? I have 20+ neons, 3 glowlites, 4 black phantoms, 4 golden and probably others I've forgotten in a community tank with over 50 fish in it.. and I've never seen any fin nipping. The goldens chase each other a bit but no nipping. I had some serpatetras that were a bit agro, but "tetras" covers a huge variety of mostly harmless (and immensely popular) fish.

7. k_sheep

k_sheep Member

My danios are the worst fin nippers I've ever had ... and I've had some massively aggressive cichlids.

To the OP, if you're getting into fish, then a fact often overlooked is it is far easier to maintain a bigger tank (say at least 2 foot long) than a smaller one. Way easier to keep parameters stable, clean, etc.

8. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

I have 6 zebra danios in another tank with some mollies and bristlenoses (breeding tank) and they're super-playful but don't seem to actually make contact fortunately.

9. Urban_Jungle

Urban_Jungle Member

Try to get him a female and if you do manage to find one plant some wandering dew in the tank. Fighters make bubble nests which are very cool. I had a male and female in a tank with lots of other fish. They are very timid with most other fish but as said make sure the other fish look nothing like them or yeah they go agro :).

10. OP
    OP
    Jm3

Jm3 (Banned or Deleted)

Hmm a female companion might be nice but as mentioned before it might be a bit hard to find one?

And yeah he goes psycho when he sees his reflection :p

Another question:-

- My girlfriend and I have been to scared to turn the lights out on him so we've dimmed them for now. Do they need light at night or will they be ok in darkness?

11. kr0nic

kr0nic Member

Just turn the light out at night.

If you put in a female they might breed.... MIGHT but certinally will fight (to the death)

12. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Why wouldn't they be ok in darkness at night? I'm sure they don't have nightlights in the wild. :) Seems a strange thought. I actually cover my tanks with cloths at about 10pm coz I'm normally up till 4am and they get a bit stressed without sleep.

13. Barca888

Barca888 Member

I think you can get heater pads for bowls, haven't seen any as I don't really look for them, just heard of them.

14. Urban_Jungle

Urban_Jungle Member

Yeah you could probable use one of those heating pads they use for reptiles.

15. Doofus

Doofus Member

Remember that the average Betta is a bogan. He will beat the crap out of a single female. You will need a larger tank and about 3-4 females so they can group and escape him.

Lights? Fish like day/night cycles just like humans.

16. kr0nic

kr0nic Member

While your right, they reason you can put a couple of females in a large tank with 1 male isnt so they group up and escape its so his violence is spread out over the females evenly lol.

17. Zoiks

Zoiks Member

So what fish are suitable for a tank with a betta? Im looking at getting a couple of other fish for my tank.

18. kr0nic

kr0nic Member

Probally neon or cardinal tetras would be ok, but avoid some of the bigger tetras.

Any livebearers should be ok such as guppys / swordtails ect (except those really fancy guppys you can get with the massive fins cause your betta might attack them)

Also catfish like the bristlenose catfish would be fine.

Just dont overstock and make sure theres plenty of hiding places.

19. Doofus

Doofus Member

Now that you mention it, yes, my bad. :)
    We had a 2" tank with hiding places. 4 females, 1 male. He beat them all equally, such a loving man he was. At least they stayed alive.

Bettas don't beat up other fish, just their own kind, so the rest of your fish will be safe from them. Bettas are pussies and will be beaten up by anything that has a mind to do so. I can't tell you which breeds will attack them though, sorry.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2007
  20. Jay

Jay Member

People probably skipped one of the more important things, that's bowl size.

He's probably better off by himself given that there's no active filtration setup. Just because he can breath air doesn't mean he doesn't end up swimming in his own waste.

For longevity and your own sanity that you don't have to clean it so much, don't add any more tankmates.

In Darwin we don't really need heaters for most of the year, but in case of the cold dry season nights, a heater might be good from letting the water temp drop too low. Just drop it in whenever it's going to be a cold streat perhaps.

When you get a bigger tank, Neon tetras and "Glo-lite" Tetras, and Bristlenoses have been great with mine in a community tank.

If he's got colour, longtails and is pretty and you bought from the fish shop without really intending to get a female, it's a male.

OH AND bettas are atrocious wife-beaters. Don't get him any tank mates of his own kind unless you're getting something bigger like a 4ft. Even then I'd put at most two bettas in.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2007