Basic MySql query question

Discussion in 'Programming & Software Development' started by Gunna, May 23, 2019.

1. Gunna

Gunna Member

Ignoring the variable's, I cannot work out why this code has U.%field name% in the query. The query works but trying to understand the purpose of the stand alone 'U' as it would work without it:

SELECT
    U.USR_UID, concat(U.USR_FIRSTNAME,' ' ,U.USR_LASTNAME)
    FROM
    USERS U
    WHERE
    U.DEP_UID = @@departmentUid
    AND U.USR_UID <> @@QPR_MGRHID
    AND U.USR_STATUS = 'ACTIVE';

2. RnR

RnR Member

I think its just habit. When you are banging out the code, muscle memory is hard to override.

3. OP
    OP
    Gunna

Gunna Member

so could it be any letter like A.USR_UID? or does the 'USERS U' bit allow the use of the U?

4. asho444

asho444 Member

It's something my boss drilled into me.
    Always use an alias, always associate a field with an alias so if you or the next clown need to join another table or what ever it's much easier

5. asho444

asho444 Member

Oh. Yes it's an alias.
    The U after the table users allows you to reference it simply as U in the future when adding columns or other tables.
    And can be any charector or set of charecters.

Say you want to join the user field a second time but join it on the supervisor ID to employee ID you could call the second table S or Super and allow you to differentiate easier

Linky https://www.w3schools.com/sql/sql_alias.asp

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  6. RnR

RnR Member

Yeah the 'USERS U' allows the alias of 'U' to be used instead of the full table name.

As asho444 said, its habit. And a good habit :)

7. OP
    OP
    Gunna

Gunna Member

Ok now I get it.

Thanks for the help

8. Westerntribal

Westerntribal Member

Im guessing they have used U because its the first letter of the table name. As a convention I usually use the first two letters of the table name. In the past when I was doing a lot of oracle dev it was not uncommon to be writing queries where I would be joining on 20+ tables. It was also not uncommon to have PLSQL blocks with 500-2000 lines of code. This is where it pays off. Also sometimes you might want to join a table on itself in which case it would be U1 and U2.. also if the first two characters of a table happen to be the same then just go to the next one so U then US. SQL server also does some what I consider strange things with alias's. For example I found sometimes sub queries wouldn't work unless you aliased them.. where in Oracle something very similar without the alias would work fine. I havent done a lot of work in MYSQL although Postgres seems to be what all the cool kids are using nowdays anyway

RnR likes this.
  9. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

This line has designated that the file can be addressed as U, my guess is numpty coder lifted the query from a query that had multiple files where smarter coder designated USERS as U so less typing.

Code:
    SELECT
      1.id, 2.name
    FROM
      table1 1, table2 2
    WHERE
      1.id = 2.id

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  10. neRok

neRok Member

I've been doing a little SQL lately, and I prefer to write "table AS alias". I find it easier to read, and I presume it has no unintended consequences (my queries work at least). Part of the reason why is because I am writing some code in a statically typed language (Go in this case), so setting a variable to hold a type would look like "var u User", which is written in the opposite order. Using AS just spells it out easier IMO.

Code:
    SELECT
      t1.id, t2.name
    FROM
      table1 AS t1, table2 AS t2
    WHERE
     t1.id = t2.id

GumbyNoTalent likes this.
  11. asho444

asho444 Member

Certainly good practice if others are going to be working on it, if I know other people are going to be looking at it I will even comment out after and give a brief description of what the table is / does