Basic Sponge Cake

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by tunagirll, Jan 21, 2011.

1. tunagirll

tunagirll Member

The only basic thing about sponge cake is the ingredients - there's a skill involved in making it right: but don't fear! Put the baking powder down... here are all my tips and tricks for the perfect sponge cake.

ps: Real sponge cake doesn't use butter or oil.

Ingredients
    7 free range eggs, large size (not XL or Jumbo) or 350g in shells.
    * The eggs need to be as fresh as possible *
    1 1/2 cups pastry flour
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    1 teaspoon cream of tartar
    1/2 cup orange juice

[​IMG]

9" or 10" loose base or springform pan, avoid the nonstick variety
    Candy thermometer

Prewarm your eggs. Clip a candy thermometer to a saucepan, and make a water bath of 40 degrees and pop your whole eggs in it. This warming will ensure maximum volume out of your eggs.

[​IMG]

Prepare your cake tin. Rub some unsalted butter around the top rim of the tin, making sure to avoid the sides. The batter needs to be able to hang onto the sides of the tin as it rises. Butter and flour the base of the tin.

[​IMG]

Preheat your oven to 160 degrees with the rack on medium low.

Take your eggs out, dry them and separate them into two bowls; the bowls need to be spotless. Use a large glass or stainless steel bowl for the whites.

[​IMG]

Add a teaspoon of cream of tartar to the egg whites and put the bowl on a 40 degree water bath to keep warm.

[​IMG]

Beat the yolks and on a low speed add a cup of sugar to the mix. Beat the mix until the yolks are pale, about 4 minutes.

[​IMG]
    until...

[​IMG]

Wash the beater thoroughly so it's spotless.

Remove the whites and dry the base. Beat the whites until soft peaks form. Add 1/2 cup of sugar slowly (but not too slowly, as you don't want to over beat the whites) and beat until firm peak stage.

[​IMG]

Fold the orange juice into the yolk mix. (In this case, I had drunk all the OJ so substituted two tablespoons of lemon juice and the balance to make up the 1/2 cup in warm water)

Sift the flour.

[​IMG]

Alternate adding the sifted flour and the yolk/juice mix to the white mix.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Use small batches spread over the surface of the white mix, and fold through gently. About 5-6 batches for both the flour and yolk mix usually does it.

See below for a brief video on folding technique

[​IMG]

When all the mix is in, gently spoon the mix into the cake pan. Tease it out to the edges to ensure its even distribution.

Pop the cake mix into the oven and cook for 55 minutes, turning once halfway to ensure even colouration. The colour should be a rich golden brown, and the top should spring back lightly when pressed with a finger. If in doubt, cook a little bit more than a little less.

[​IMG]
    into the oven

[​IMG]
    25 minutes, turn

[​IMG]
    55 minutes

Turn the cake onto a cooling rack and prop the pan so not all the weight is down onto the middle. Leave it to cool with the tin on. It'll shrink and pull away from the tin.

[​IMG]

Turn it back over, add plate, flip again and remove tin.
    Dust with icing sugar/decorate with favourite fruit/jam/cream etc.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  2. OldnBold

OldnBold Member

Looks very edible .. thanks :thumbup:

3. scon

scon Member

Yummo. I'm planning on doing more sweets this year. Might have to give this one a go. Will report back with results.

4. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

with vodka no doubt. :)

this looks like a ripper recipe.
    if i ever have the courage to try it out i'll be sure to let you know how badly i fucked it up.

5. Loop Goose

Loop Goose Member

This looks delicious ! I'll give it a try when I have a working oven...

6. danielsan

danielsan Member

Looks awesome! I'll have to try making some lamingtons now :)