1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Battery life in Bootcamp with Win7

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by Philll, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Philll

Philll Member

Has anyone experienced this? I'm considering a small partition for an install but last time I did it with XP (1.5yrs ago) it was shocking, sometimes to the point of 40 minutes from a full charge (usually 6hrs on OSX).

If you have can you post your specs and experiences? Thanks.

2. bb7_rider

bb7_rider Member

Considerably worse in bootcamp with win7 though not THAT bad, maybe 2.5 - 3 hours? The bigger difference though is in standby... Booted into osx I can leave my laptop and come back days and days later and still have heaps of charge, EVERY time I have ever left my laptop in standby in windows however, when I have come back the battery has been flat, even after only a day or two.

3. kingyubbo

kingyubbo Member

My MBP 13" 2010 gets about 6-7 hrs with web wifi use in OSX. 2.5-3hrs in Windows 7 with Wifi on as well

4. xcalibur

xcalibur Member

apple do not provide any proper power management under windows. nothing gets throttled from what i have heard :/

5. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

What do you need in windows that you need long battery life for, too?

Can't you just use a Virtual Machine within OSX?

6. Wolfje

Wolfje Member

For me XP was a huge no-no. It had soemething to do with the power performance (or lack thereof) on the nvidia cards in XP. It was never as drastic as 40 minutes from a full charge, but turning Direct3D hardware acceleration off gave me about 2 hours more, but negated usefulness of having Windows there in the first place. Photoshop, flash etc naturally ran horribly.

It seems to have been fixed in windows 7 somewhat, but aero will chow about 40 minutes off the maximum battery span.

I'm using a 13" 2009 unibody MBP. Sitting on about 4-5 hours in Win7 with medium brightness is fairly acceptable.

7. OP
    OP
    Philll

Philll Member

Bah!

Just some games on the move, at the moment I can play Half Life 2 at full brightness for 2.5hrs on my April 2010 13"MBP which I think is pretty amazing, would love to play some of the Steam shit I keep buying but never touching.

I tried VMware but performance was terrible, as it should be for 3D stuff.

8. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

Errr but there's a steam OSX client now? Can't you use that?

9. Wolfje

Wolfje Member

10.6.4 royally rooted 3d performance, I get 15-60fps on low at 1280x800 in CSS.

It's ...horrible to say the least.

10. OP
    OP
    Philll

Philll Member

For about 5 of my 200+ games :/

11. Zerstorer

Zerstorer Member

I noticed Portal ran awfully, so I'm glad it's not just me. Apple needs to step up their game now someone is finally paying attention to the platform.

12. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

Well I think at the end of the day you have to use the best tool for the job. Apple don't design their products to specifically run competitor's software.

If you want to game without it being a major PITA, you use a PC/Laptop. :lol:

If you want to run OSX without it being a major PITA, then you buy a Mac. :rolleyes:

If you want the best of both worlds, you buy a PC/Laptop and install (or dualboot) Linux :Pirate:

13. OP
    OP
    Philll

Philll Member

If you want a Windows laptop that runs games with a decent battery that doesn't like like the atrocity that is the M11 you buy a... oh wait..

:mad:

14. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

There are reasonable alternatives...