1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Battlefield 2 - General Discussion

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by sabretooth, Feb 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fathermucker

fathermucker Member

i have no problem with it, except when the US don't fall back once the MEC start attacking from North and South and bypass Main Entrance. Too many times i've seen (from commander's screen) a swarm of blue dots between main entrance and MEC uncap while red dots are attacking hotel and alleyway. unfortunately, attacking is too much fun, and defending can be boring.
    *shrugs*

2. kevincooper

kevincooper Member

damn straight, that centre mec spawn should not be rushed, you can sit your snipers back up the road and get people running forwards, but when i see enemy players working there way along the hill to sit and pick off the respawns, i just get pissed

3. mecka

mecka Member

Well thats exactly what we do. Its practical up to a point - then we're forced to pull back. I always fall back as soon as the MEC has taken two flags, or if they've taken City Entrance.

4. fathermucker

fathermucker Member

to clarify... i don't agree with spawn camping uncap (ie. hide near a wall and pick off people the moment they spawn).. but rushing the uncap to put preasure on the MEC at the very beginning is a valid tactic that can force them to take other paths and try for other flags.
    eg. tonight on sharqi (where, by the way, i had a shit few rounds before crashing. bah!) most of the fighting was at the east end of the uncap spawn point near where the buildings start... the MEC could spawn and travel north to escape and try for hotel or head east to the main entrance and face the advancing US. ie. the MEC did have means to escape/mount a counter attack.

5. kelwyn

kelwyn Member

Aha! But thats exactly what makes the start of a sharqi round nice and predictable :D

Kevvy, the MEC have 3 uncaps, the US have none. If you cant deal with being shot at, spawn south and take a quick boat to hotel, which is empty 99% of the time :p

Last edited: Jul 20, 2006
  6. Wink

Wink Member

PM sent. Thanks! :)

7. Borgod

Borgod Member

I don't like it.
    At the beginning of a round on the pubs I think a fair opportunity should be given to the enemy to get near a flag and cap it. Yes if they're coordinated they'll do it easily - but it's the public servers and in most cases thats really asking too much. Advancing on the uncappable when a new round is beginning is only slowing down the game for everyone and giving you some easy kills.

During the round (once they have at least capped 1 flag) I think it's acceptable provided there is a goal. Destroy commander assets, Steal Armour/chopper then leave and protect them by defending your own flags. The longer you have the armour on your side the less effective the enemy will be.

This is AEF policy - and I firmly believe it.

Sniping into the uncappable and AT into there is fine I think, but I think we should keep out.

Took me quite a while to get into the swing of things tonight. :/ One of those shitty nights where everything felt alien.
    Fathermucker was giving me headaches with grenades, claymores and artillery - and also a dropped vehicle on me I think :/

We will meet again!!! :p

Last edited: Jul 20, 2006
  8. CyberstormL45

CyberstormL45 Member

Master Sergeant
    Score: 4,492 of 20,000. At your historical rate, you should earn 15,508 in 1,378 days (or 331:21:10 straight).

wOOt Neally there :lol:

9. Eman

Eman Member

If anyone in the clan wants to play in the OGN tourney and hasn't signed up to the OGN website and got on the team roster there, you have until Sunday to do so. After then the roster locks and we can accept no new people to play for us in the comp for the remaining 7 weeks of the OGN infantry-only tourney (unless they transfer from another clan in the tourney). Currently we have the following signed up on the team list:

alephnull
    Stiff
    Universal_Traitor
    baalaagaa
    FredHoon
    Gierke
    PyroManiac80
    fathermucker
    Hulapop
    Shrpshtr85
    richie83
    sabretooth
    Logistics
    graham_slack (who are you BTW? I need to know before roster lock)
    JumpinJez
    mattsk88
    BuzzPuppy
    Criminal_Colt

So if you want to play and aren't listed here, get cracking. And remember our first match is this Sunday 8:30pm against Recon Delta, so post in the availability thread if you haven't already.

Agree fully.

Mecka, sometimes you really seem to want to play this game like it's a clan match - where both teams know what they're in for and will do what it takes to win, even if it means shutting down the other team. I know we keep on saying this to you, but I don't think you're going to find what you really want out of this game on pubs alone. /me shuts up again

10. mecka

mecka Member

I've been thinking more and more about whether to commit to a clan lately as more people approach me to play for them. Unfortunately I'm of the opinion that BF2 is on the verge of dying. 1.3 patch issues have driven away so many players while making the game nigh unplayable for those of us left. Other games like Quake Wars: ET and Battlefield 2142 are getting closer to release.

Real life issues are getting to me as well. I am trying to repair my relationship with my recent ex whilst balancing work and several other endeavours I'm currently engaged in.

Also, as I've stated previously, BF2 competitive gaming has never been desirable to me. Decent clans with any sort of honour code are few and far between (AEF are the standout examples in my book) whilst those that exploit are the big dogs. It's frustrating enough dealing with exploits in pub servers, why would I do it in clan games?

Right now what I'm looking for from this game is pretty much a release. A place to get my frustrations out and to forget about the world for two hours a night. I play the way I do because it works and because it doesn't resort to overtly underhanded tactics. It's enjoyable to demolish a team of randoms (clanners or not) without having to worry too much about my own team or feel like I have an obligation or responsibility beyond upholding the OCAU set of ethics.

11. Eman

Eman Member

Fair enough mate.

12. Jewsian

Jewsian (Banned or Deleted)

nope I tried it last night but no luck still...parachute just doesn't open and I don't know why :confused:

13. Stiff

Stiff Member

Roster lock eh? That's a bit nasty. A few more people would certainly be helpful then. If anyone's worried about the time commitment involved in playing for the unofficial OCAU OGN team, never fear. All that's really involved is posting when you're available to play then reading the tactics thread and turning up for the match if picked.

14. Eman

Eman Member

Aye: http://www.ausbattlefield.com/index.php?showtopic=1968, they seem terrified of people smurfing so they're running it like the finals have already started.

15. gumble85

gumble85 Member

LOL. U should realise now it's EA/Dice hates ur arse and when u log on they disable ur parachute :p .

gumble

16. Wink

Wink Member

Well last night I had my first real good time playing BF2.

I played 2 really good rounds where I was in the top 10 of my team (64 player server) using Support and Assault and managed to be the top Support and Assault guy in the round both times. :D

The grenade launcher the Assault guy has totally rocks my world. :thumbup:

I also got an unlock yesterday and unlocked the Spec-Ops G36C... Good choice? I played with it a bit and got some kills but maybe I should've gone with the Medic L85?

17. Borgod

Borgod Member

Whats your ingame name Wink?

Using the GL is fine, but the moment you start GL'ing your enemy and yourself when you go around the corner is when you know you use it too much. Dont get into that habit.

18. Wink

Wink Member

Thanks for the tip.
    I use the GL most in Karkand (especially when defending Hotel)... In the more open or swampy maps I find the GL is too inaccurate to launch long shots against enemies at different elevations.

My in-game name is "Kyphen" as wink was taken (and not used - the bastard). I play with the OCAU tag mostly on the 64 player servers on GA.

19. mattywhisk

mattywhisk Member

It should open fine, sometimes it's a bit fiddly, but as long as you're in an open space and have switched to "Falling" mode from "jumping" mode (ie downward momentum) then it opens every time.

20. Jewsian

Jewsian (Banned or Deleted)

I guess they do hate my arse because yesterday on Sharqi Peninsula I spawned on top of the crane as SL was up there sniping and so, the quickest way to get down is to use my parachute. I proceed to do a runner then jump off and press 9 like a mad man but the parachute never opened...

Come to think of it, the only times the parachute has ever opened for me was when I'm in a helicopter really high up and then bail out...

It's getting a bit frustrating when everyone manages to open their parachute the instant they jump off buidlings and I can't.

Anyway, yesterday I was playing Karkand with only the AT kit and damn the AT kit is nice...I managed to make 39kills/21deaths with 9 assists, I would just spawn wherever the enemy apc/tanks were or were heading and practically destroyed them :D

Even "sniped" a few guys with the rocket launcher (or whatever you call it).

Another thing, I've wanted to ask everyone this question for a while now and the question is, "How often do you guys read the messages (top left) - chat messages?" For me I never read it and it's not because I don't care about it but I'm always focused at the middle of the screen on what's happening in front of me. So when people type stuff to me I would most likely not know and they probably hate me afterwards. I'm making myself change this bad habit and always tell myself to read the messages at the beginning of the round but once the action starts....it's "Doh!, I forgot again....okay....next round...remember this time." And the cycle repeats itself. :p

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.