Battlefield 3 & SLI Only Crashing 2x GTX 280

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by pittster, Nov 15, 2011.

1. pittster

pittster Member

Posted this in the BF3 Thread but probably not the best spot for it so i'll try here.

Sli is definatly crashing it explanation below

WOW WOW WOW

This game is so good when it works and so frustrating when it doesn't. 'rant'

So i got 30 Hours of game time up it sometimes would crash on load nothing major.

Tried to play last night it would lock up either straight away or 5 min into the game.

So i did the trouble shooting thing (bios default, take all O/C away, un install drivers try beta drivers try original drivers, drivesweep, Hardware all identical, volts are good, not hot, SLI stable in all other games etc etc)

after 47 reboots and 6 hours of my life gone, I am now stuck with the dreaded "IF YOU GOT SLI ENABLED BF3 DON'T WORK"

AHHHHH 1 second away from a win7 re install but apparently this doesn't even work.

What did they do in the last 48 hours ??????????

So now i have to run on a single 280 which sucks sigh might have to get a 580 to fix this

Other people that have similar issues:

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/7695202.page
    http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=215496
    http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/2089336/+40
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/33...em-battlefield
    http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sho...php?p=20561522

Some fixes i will try tonight please add any other ideas if you like.

Do drivesweeper Again and remove all nvidia related drivers and put the whql certified driver back on. Or even the oldest beta for BF3 ?

Try enable V-sync in BF3

From another forum (SOLUTION FOR Win7 64bit)

The problem is in Realtek driver and PB for some reason, i have no idea why this is happening, but the old solution still works.

It is only related to users who run on Windows 7 64-bit, and have a Realtek soundcard.

1. Download pbsetup.zip.
    Unpack it onto your Desktop, or anywhere else you like.
    Go to step 2.

2. Go to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\PunkBuster\BF3\p b\ and delete all files from there.
    Then go to D:\Games\Battlefield 3\ and remove the \pb\ folder.
    Go to step 3.

3. Go to C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ and locate PnkBstrA.exe and PnkBstrB.exe.
    Set compartibility mode to Windows XP SP3, and check the "run as admin" box. Do it for both files.
    Go to step 4.

4. Run pbsetup.exe, add you game and update it.
    Go to step 5.

5. Open PowerShell (run as admin!), and type cd c:\windows\system32 [Enter] sfc /scannow. (You need to run the 64-bit version, but if it does not work go with 32-bit)
    Reboot when completed, then go to step 6.

6. Open the PoweShell again and type cd c:\windows\syswow64 [Enter] sfc /scannow (You need to run the 32-bit version this time).
    Go to step 7. (this step i didnt do)

7. Kill the lag spikes! (loweres your ping, safe to change). (this step i didnt do)
    Reboot.

8. Play the game, if you will keep getting hardlocks, try to install the latest realtek driver, set sound quality to 16 khz, and reboot.

The best fail-proof solution is to disable the onboard sound and get a PCI/PCIe sound card, this will work for everybody and will make you free from going through these steps.

UPD:
    Make sure you have the latest Realtek drivers installed and reset them to default settings.

UPD2:
    If you still keep getting hardlocks (pc freezes, with Brrrrrr sound), try to Uninstall PB using pbsvc.exe, Reboot, Install PB, reboot again, then take steps 1-2-3-4 and reboot.

Maybe try these Drivers:

http://www.tweakforce.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=5

Another maybe fix

On an unrelated note, the following day after my previous post (today), I started getting crashes again with the 285.38 drivers. But I found another fix and I think this one is permanent because I played for two 2-hour sessions with no problems. In Nvidia Control Panel, I turned off Threaded Optimization and Triple Buffering. Everything else I have set to Application Controlled, Quality, or Clamp. Now everything is running fine with the overclock.

My Last option is to wait for Dice & Nvidia to patch a fix AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :D:weirdo:

2. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

...damn sli and crossfire. congrats to those who get it working for them

I get server cutouts and occasional green flashes. and plain old bf3 has stopped working...fairly regularly. possibly a vista thing or internet...fark knows.

anyway it's playable 99% of the time im in the game.

you reckon its the onboard sound?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  3. OP
    OP
    pittster

pittster Member

Yeah well it worked great for the last 30 hours of gameplay :mad:

Im clutching at straws at the moment, cause it either crashes when loading level with a hard reset needed or gets into the game spawn then grrrraaaannnn 'sound distortion' Computer hard locks and that's it.

Damn its really really frustrating that it takes ages to load also.

Oh well back to Bad company 2 :(

4. OP
    OP
    pittster

pittster Member

Well it appears I have found the problem and have fixed it for now.

So after trying some old drivers and such nothing really improved, i thought well it runs with SLI off lets see if both cards work on there own.

Low and behold when i ran the system on my Second Gtx 280 when it tried to increase shaders and run 3d profile it would make the screen go purple.

Now i monitor temps Current fan speed on both cards via my G15 display and nothing was unusual.

So thinking this card is dead i thought i would pull it apart and see if something had popped and what i could repair.

When removing the heat sink the TIM was like old hard cheese and there was no sign of any blown caps or scorch marks on the board.

I thought i doubt this will fix it but ill clean it up put new paste on and see how it goes.

Card works fine now but i am running no O/C and a very steep fan profile 75deg> 100% Fan until I am happy with stability. Run BF3 for 2 hours in sli no issues

So for bloody once it was a hardware issue. Do i think this will last NO but i'll see how long i get out of it.

Anyway my New upgrade just got a buttload more expensive cause i have to factor in GPU's now which means 570 or higher.

Are the GTX 580 like the 280 in terms of heat cause the 280's get bloody hot.

Hope this helps someone else that gets similar issue.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  5. mattg

mattg Member

i bought an evga gtx580 doesent seem to run to hot not a huge amount hotter then my radeon 6950 , as long as you have decent flow through the case you will be fine. one gtx580 plays all games on full no need for two YET :D
    case is a antec 900
    and the gpu blows hot air outside the case. :thumbup:

6. tfroggydawg

tfroggydawg Member

hah!

I am in the exact same situation.

1 x GTX 280 = 100% stability

2 x GTX 280 = glitching and crashing to desktop

No other game has any problem, including new games such as Skyrim.

There is nothing you can do because it 100% bugs in BF3 and also the NVIDIA drivers.

I have delayed my upgrade because of the new generation of hardware coming out now and soonish.

My only hope in the short term is that the BF3 patch when it eventually comes fixes most of the issues and the next drivers from NVIDIA actually work instead of only fixing a few of the issues.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  7. iinsom

iinsom Member

I had that issue on my sli system (Only 460's) where it would hardlock (BRRRRRRRRRR noise) and BSOD, which i fixed by simply dusting out my pc and taking the side case off. Musta been heat related.

8. OP
    OP
    pittster

pittster Member

I thought this too but until i reapplied the thermal paste BF3 was not going to work in SLI. Mine was a little different to that my second Gpu couldn't function when installed by itself

9. ledhead900

ledhead900 Member

10. Shreaver

Shreaver Member

I was getting a lot of locks and had to manually reboot many times, especially when playing MP. But, AMD *finally* released a driver fix which I *finally* got working and I was *finally* able to play without all the shit that I had to endure in the beginning.

This is why I tell everyone that if they can avoid SLI and XFire, do so. I only have XFire now because it was a cheap upgrade. Sometimes, I have to endure cheap crap like this too. :(

And BF3 wasn't the only one! Skyrim too! D'AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW...

11. OP
    OP
    pittster

pittster Member

I might wait until the certified version comes out the last beta was poor at best and i'm happy i can play the damn game for now without it crashing

12. ledhead900

ledhead900 Member

Sure each to their own I guess, I can vouch for the new set tho they are a much better then current certified for Bf3 and skyrim.

FYI I have a similar card only not SLI, 285 :), and BF3 has a lot of crash
    s fixed and the glitches are gone.

13. OP
    OP
    pittster

pittster Member

Update:

Having bought a whole new system it's clear now my card was showing signs of it dying which it has now achieved.

Currently chasing Warranty through zotac if this fails it will make a fancy paper weight.:upset:

14. OP
    OP
    pittster

pittster Member

Well my 2nd card failed again so I thought stuff it lets Shake and Bake.

In it went into the Oven at 200deg for 10 min let it cool for 30 min rebuild it put in back in the sytem and what do you know a fixed GTX280 :D Who know's how long it will last but i got my SLI back i might be able to make it to the 600 series yet.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011