Battletech [Released]

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by DangerMaus, Jul 30, 2015.

1. DIRT

DIRT Member

I want to play this game but I have a massive problem with the whole idea of stability damage. About half the centre torso of any mech is a fuck-off huge Gyro specifically designed to avoid that and any pilot who fell over as often as these clowns do would never be allowed in a mech.

It's too much a departure from the game mechanics of Battletech or even Mechwarrior (pnp) for it to sit right with me.

2. OP
    OP
    DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

It's really a non issue for anything but the AI. Get piloting to a minimum of 4 and use brace. You should almost never fall over.

3. FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

Not quite a non issue, but yeah, the stability damage does get mitigated a bit as you get higher piloting.

The prevalence of lrm play at the endgame is a cause for concern though. I'm not really fond of end game due to the AI reliance on lrms. I'd consider putting the stab dmg for lrms down to 1, but I am still umming and ahing about it.

Honestly the game base is good, and it's super simple to mod out/tone down the things that might shit you about it. Give it a go anyway.

4. OP
    OP
    DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

I haven't found that the enemy AI focuses fire enough for stability to be an issue, even late game.

5. CQGLHyperion

CQGLHyperion Member

I'm quicker at taking out legs to care much about stability, until I get into melee range. Then it is mostly heat. 2 melee hits may not knock them down, but they will shutdown from heat.

If one of my mechs gets close to unstable, just use the special ability (uses morale) and bam, gone.

Oh and those gyro mods help a little when you find / salvage them.

6. OP
    OP
    DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

Didn't think Melee attacks increased heat on the target. Maybe your mech has flamers which auto fire after a melee attack? Also brace doesn't use morale. Brace reduces stability damage by 50% and removes any stability stacks you already have.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  7. FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

Vigilance does though.

CQGLHyperion likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

Never needed it. Think I've only used brace one or two times to counter unsteady.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  9. CQGLHyperion

CQGLHyperion Member

My grasshoppers are fitted with flamers in all the support slots. Also good for when you are not quite able to make a melee attack but close enough for short range.

Vigilance uses morale. Lets you remove all instability at the start of the turn without using the turn. You will use it on missions later on when they focus fire LRMs, PPCs, ACs and SRMs on the one mech. Not to mention the odd melee hit you take.

My current pet hate is that getting up doesn't cost much even in initiative, if anything at all. Also powering up doubles as getting up with no loss either.

10. OP
    OP
    DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

Considering I finished the game without it I doubt I'd use it ;). As I said earlier I haven't found the AI focuses fire much at all. Even when they could easily take out a damaged mech they start shooting something else.

11. FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

Sounds like your experience is different to everyone elses then, dangermaus. Did you play it vanilla, or modded?

12. prophey

prophey Member

I find the AI goes for either the closest mech or your most dangerous long range mech (in my case the Jaeger with 2xLRM15's and 2xAC2's).

After the patch i'm finding load times significantly improved and less jerkyness in-game, although there is still some.

Question: does anyone know if the first assault mech you get given is random or is it pre-determined? Mine starts with a H.

13. FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

That rewarded assault is always the same one, and never changes.

14. prophey

prophey Member

Thanks, it's the one I wanted anyway. Such high damage output but low heat is amazeballs.

15. connico

connico Member

Struggling with a mission with pirates that are attacking a military base. Can finish the mission and kill all mechs but the issue is saving the buildings. Not happy that the mechs completely ignore my lance and just want to die doing damage to some fucking buildings...

16. taldoren

taldoren Member

Tank the mech dmg, Just kill the APC's - Precision shot to the side for 1shoting them, and have 1 of your mechs head up hill to grab the 1 APC that gets dropped off up there.

17. connico

connico Member

Cannot tank the Mech damage when they are not shoot at me. Also no tanks, just 2 lances of mechs consisting of
    • Centurion
    • Enforcer
    • Hunchback
    • 2x Trebuchet
    • Kintaro
    • Shadowhawk

18. CQGLHyperion

CQGLHyperion Member

Connico is talking about generic mission and not the story line.

I did the story line one yesterday. Those apc have op movement range. Miss killing one of them first round and you lose!

Con : sprint your mechs out to meet them so they take heat and focus on the ones targeting the buildings.

19. SpicEwEazle

SpicEwEazle Member

haha, so I cannot progress past the 2nd priority mission. At the salvage screen it asks me to select 8 salvage, there are only slots for 7...... Me thinks my file tinkering has broken something, the problems is I still can't work out exactly what ( 4 attempts now).

Last edited: May 8, 2018
  20. prophey

prophey Member

Finally got my first 100T. How do you go getting your faction status up to do harder contracts in other areas? I travel to a Tauran planet to hunt some 100T mechs on a 4.5 skull planet and I couldn't do anything! Thankfully I saved before I went.

Now that I have 100T/95T/85T/80T I just roll through everything... I want to collect more 100T's :D Ultimate goal, 4 x 100T's for my Lance!