1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

Battletech [Released]

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by DangerMaus, Jul 30, 2015.

1. FerrisXB9R

FerrisXB9R Member

Ha ha! My goal is to collect 4 x 100Ts with nothing but Firestarters.

2. CQGLHyperion

CQGLHyperion Member

There is a slider bar below salvage when you haggle for a job. You still get some status points per mission but this allows you to speed it up instead. Trade off is less salvage and money for the job.

3. prophey

prophey Member

I think i'm too far down the path of Arano... basically allied so no other contracts are coming up.

4. CQGLHyperion

CQGLHyperion Member

Scored 2/3 Atlas salvage last mission. Already have 2 king crabs in the hanger. Trying to build up a pair of decent lances for the last storyline mission(s).

5. pH@tTm@N

pH@tTm@N Member

.... ahhh. that explains the 3 mechbays. Yeah maybe I wont sell most of the mechs from here on. Guess I better train up some pilots too.

Changed the json file for the Catapult K2 replacing the PPC's for double heatsinks hoping for epic double heatsink salvage. The K2 ran up and kicked me as it only had 2 M laser, 2 MG's - looks funny as hell. Too bad it crashed on the salvage screen I didn't get any salvage but could continue. Hey - at least it didn't overheat!

6. CQGLHyperion

CQGLHyperion Member

Just read up that you have to use Arano in her Atlas for the second part so only need 7 mechs in total. Going to be either a second atlas or a second King Crab depending which piece of salvage I get next.

7. prophey

prophey Member

How are you getting missions with Atlas? I can't get any enemy mechs higher than 75T... or do I have to just keep progressing the story? I just did a 5 skull contract and the enemy lance was full of Heavies only.

8. rireland

rireland Member

I'm early in the campaign with 2m credits, how common are the rare weapons. Available to me in the store is a lrm20+++ which I assume is a must buy, but also a ppc+ and large laser+ which may be usefull later but will lower my credits significantly. Should I buy any rares I see or only what is currently usefull and can they only be bought or are they also possible drops?

9. CQGLHyperion

CQGLHyperion Member

The missions are very random. I came across one that was a heavy lance, which were all vehicles. Some pirate missions have a single basic lance and others have 2 ridiculous lances.

Finding an Atlas seems to be rare. I have only seen them twice. The first time I got wiped and restarted the mission. That is where I found out even though the mission and map are identical, the lances are random. Score 2 grashoppers from the re-roll of the enemy.

I come across more Banshees and King Crabs though. Tough nuts.

I left them until I had a decent amount of money or when I got them as salvage. Only ever went for ones I was using at the time as well. Some stuff is salvage only. Others can be bought from time to time.

10. prophey

prophey Member

Finally got my Highlander-733P... was on a "kill insurgent pirate leader" mission and the mech was loaded onto a crevice on the side of a cliff.. why the AI didn't just jump off... allowed me to avoid dealing with a 90T mech while I dealt with the two heavy lances. Weeee

11. prophey

prophey Member

LOL speaking of which, mission straight after I got another piece of a Highlander-733P... now i'm rocking the King Crab, 2 x 733P's and the 732B. The 732B with the double heat sinks is seriously the best thing ever.

12. spootmonkey

spootmonkey Member

Taking my time through this, partly thanks to work and partly through choice - planet hopping rather than instantly responding to story quests, grinding out a few choice mechs, etc.

Settled on a lance I'm very happy with. I've just gotten my first assault, the fancy Highlander, so have kitted that out as ranged support to replace the Thunderbolt I had in a similar role, behind a couple of AC/SRM Orion brawlers, and a missile boat in the back. I was using the Jagermech-A but finally found a Catapult and prefer that model so modded in the extra missile hardpoints to match.

It'd be nice if the game kept lighter mechs viable (MechCommander's better-sensors-for-lights would suffice, and perhaps a nerf to sensor lock) and I could use a Cicada, but it is what it is.

I didn't see a single one until I'd passed a particular mission, but I know one of the pre-release streamers managed to find a couple on 5-star assassination missions without passing a fairly-early story mission embargo.

You'll pick up plenty of + and ++ as you go (be it shop or drop), but +++ are fairly rare. Nab anything you can afford and will actually use (or want to use when you can fit it). That depends on your play style as different weapons and different bonuses suit different people.

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  13. CQGLHyperion

CQGLHyperion Member

I feel the game lacks the electronic warfare side of things. ECM and BAPs would be a nice option. Even the possibility of NARCs and AMS/LAMS.

I can see them being mods or possibly part of an expansion pack. I do miss a Raven kitted out for ECM / Spotting / Targetting.

I used the highlander as fire support mech as well. Dual LRM 15 + Dual AC/2 + PPC. Gauss took up too much tonnage for my liking.

14. spootmonkey

spootmonkey Member

Raven was planned but bumped from launch as they couldn't figure out how to make it work well. I assume it'll arrive at some point.

15. taldoren

taldoren Member

Wrong timeline.

It will move through the tech periods, as it evolves slowly, they in no rush to get to clan tech as then its just really all about omnimechs.

16. CQGLHyperion

CQGLHyperion Member

I assumed it was a time line thing. Hence why a lot of mechs people are used to aren't included. Great for game expansion though.

17. prophey

prophey Member

Now that I have a few characters with Elite status (I have 4 characters all 10's on skills), I am now encountering much harder missions and much more Assault mechs... I've collected a few more but they're all sh1t (Victor, Banshee).. the Highlander is seriously the best mech with jump jets and so much long range shooting... the 733P could have better heat management but I might take out the PPC and put in other stuff. One bit to go to get the Awesome.. keen to at least try it with 3 PPC's but I have a feeling it'll run too hot.

18. DIRT

DIRT Member

I'd disagree the Banshee is shit (I also want to get a Victor and have a play around see if I can build something interesting out of it). An evasive move Glitch with breaching shot and high enough morale to use Vigilance pretty much at will in a melee built banshee (maxarmor, PPC, 5mg's, max jump jets) is fucking hilarious and when backed by 2 ranged built highlanders (stock story and one with dual PPC, 3 SRM and a few ML's) and a LRM boat Orion (dual LRM20, LRM5) also kinda dangerous. The spend all their time trying to kill the very evasive, guarded, massively armoured Banshee that they first saw while the longer range (and slower) highlanders pepper them with PPC\Guass\LRM's (while they move into range to use their SRM's\ML's) and the Orion parked way to hell and gone over there literally rains missiles on anything on the map (at least once it's spotted by the Banshee).

Really I'd love to get a Charger but I don't think they put that waste of a mech in the game, PnP it's a waste anyway. A 5 sml laser Assault that moves at 140 vs the Banshee's 120 would be great in the computer game and while you can get fast heavys that move at 140, they likely wouldn't survive the sheer amount of damage the Banshee can soak.

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  19. prophey

prophey Member

Meh, my strat is to precision strike ammo bays and blow them up and effectively just make enemy assault mechs walking zombies... I keep pot shotting from a distance and then bash them when they come close and all they have is a couple of medium lasers. If there's only one in range then i'll just keep taking out the CT, once either the left or right torso is down then it's pretty easy fare.

20. spootmonkey

spootmonkey Member

Gotten back into this lately, having nabbed the DLC season pass on sale and installed the BT 3025 Commander's Edition mod pack.

I found the 400-ton endgame got a bit stale, but with the new mechs and mechanics and the progression/difficulty settings ramped up a bit I'm enjoying meandering through the full Inner Sphere with a lance of lights and mediums.