1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

bayonet extension lead

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by warrenr, Dec 9, 2020.

1. warrenr

warrenr Member

Does such a lead exist? In my basement I want the light moved 2 metres sideways. I dont care how it looks (the light is currently blocked by the air con ducting LOL). I know I could get an electrician and all, but technically all I want to do is plug the extension in and move the light :)
    no extra load, no extra points so its as safe as a normal extention lead right?

Click to view full size!

mad_mic3 likes this.
  2. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

A short but finished version of what you're after is sold as a DIY Pendant Light kit, but they're only ~70cm long.

Suffice to say that the parts to build what you're after do exist. You can buy them just about anywhere including Bunnings. If you're only extending one bayonet fitting to another I don't see a safety concern (as opposed to adapting it to a GPO, which is horrifically dangerous). But technically I think I'm supposed to tell you to get a sparky to build such a device, so...

3. slavewone

slavewone Member

4. alexb618

alexb618 Member

5. OP
    OP
    warrenr

warrenr Member

I guess technically I could just daisy chain 3 of them? https://www.bunnings.com.au/deta-suspension-kit_p4430401
    that way Im breaking any safety rules in any way? (maybe if I made a 200m one I am LOL)

pretty expensive way to do it, but meh, still cheaper than a qualified professional. will just tie it to the beams

6. merlin13

merlin13 Member

Making your own mains cables/extension leads without being licensed, that you had to ask about in the first place? Have a guess...

Pugs likes this.
  7. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Technically legal? Probably. A good idea? No. Making up the lead from parts would be much safer so long as you work tidily and can follow instructions.

Look, personally I think this has gotten out of hand. I should be able to tell you it's OK to wire a plug. But so far as I can tell, that's work that requires a licensed professional.

8. OP
    OP
    warrenr

warrenr Member

that was a typo - I meant to say - Im daisy chaining them so I'm NOT breaking any rules.

Anyway the original intent of the post was to ask for premade cables as I didnt want to MAKE any as I'm not licenced, so this way it should be fine

Im confused as your comment was to a quote which was a typo, so not sure how to read your reply

DOH - edit - was replying to merlins post

9. mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

i like you dungeon:)

McRutch and Pugs like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    warrenr

warrenr Member

ended up getting 2x1m from bunnings - worked a treat (Thanks seeker). looks rough but its hidden by the ducting and is now in the middle of the room

thanks all! its about as legal as its going to get without a licence. Im using an LED light so its not like I'm overloading anything

Thanks mate - Its the perfect room for a gym. I moved 7m3 of clay by hand in buckets to the backyard (now need to move it to the front and eventually into a skip) with the rest behind the wall as I built it up (the joys of building a house cut into a hill). Got myself 2 extra underground rooms with alot of work and a heap of trailer loads of bricks! WIll concrete the rooms next once I finishing levelling it all out. Just taking my time :thumbup:

Click to view full size!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
  11. /invariance\

/invariance\ Member

I heard that about you. :Paranoid::lol::shock:

Just keep digging then you won't need a gym :D:D

Pugs likes this.
  12. RobRoySyd

RobRoySyd Member

Oddly enough I think there are rules about daisy chaining extension leads but I've only seen them in relation to fair grounds. There's probably something about that in the construction site regulations as well.
    TAFE NSW certainly used to run a very short course on how to wire extension leads, I cannot speak for other states but in NSW at least no license required to make or repair extension leads. The only real issue
    is for the normal 3 pin extension lead it's cheaper to buy one than just to buy the plug and socket.
    Back in the early part of last century you could buy BC double adaptors, my grandmother used to use one to power her new electric iron. Does anyone even iron clothes today?

The only catch is once you affix an extension lead to the building the rules do come into force. Same would apply if you ran it through a wall such that it cannot be removed without unwiring it. Reasonably certain it's simply not permitted.

13. OP
    OP
    warrenr

warrenr Member

I heard technically we need an electrician to change a light bulb? Could be a rumour. The bunnings guy was a bit hesitant selling them to me - but calmed down when I told him its just for an led light. I guess he was worried about load over a "longer" run.

yeah its been a hell of a work out so far. moving the soil by hand and carrying those bricks downstairs into the room. I sure made the most of Iso!

I havent fixed it per se - but I'm tipping draping it across a couple of joists probably isnt best practice. will get an electrician down the line at some stage as I only have one GPO in one of the rooms. I never planned to have 2 spare rooms when I built. In the grand scheme of things the electrician is probably going to be the cheapest part - the concretor and pump to get it down there will be add up.

14. ArmoureD

ArmoureD Member

That conversion looks amazing, well done. You've gone to the trouble of doing all that amazing work, just call a sparky and get him to install a few proper light fixtures and a few sockets while your at it.

15. Privatteer

Privatteer Member

While that retaining might be suitable for gardens are you sure it is suitable for supporting what looks to be structural loads?
    Edit: Just checked and 1m high using the 300x300x1000mm blocks I was required to be 1m from wall/footing.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  16. OP
    OP
    warrenr

warrenr Member

when I was building I wanted a pool and found that the load bearing walls had to be supported by 45degree soil (unless designed otherwise). So I just kept well away from load supporting pillars / walls. I would have dug out the room some more, but I didnt want to risk a cave in! Water is what destablises everything, but its been up for 6 years and under a driveway/garage with an additional pathway and drainage in one section so its bone dry where I was digging with no signs of movement. The actual section where it is supporting is around a 1-1.5 high, the rest is loose backfill - so yeah - structual was always on my mind too

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  17. BistecConBigote

BistecConBigote Member

What kind of drainage do you have in there? Water will be seeping in constantly through the clay when it’s wet...

18. OP
    OP
    warrenr

warrenr Member

water ingress has been a constant issue since start of building. Builder is still working on it (hence why I delayed these works as I didnt want him blaming me!). He's managed to get it all confined to just one corner now (thats the corner which I've left). He's planning to install a sump pump now - original pit was just too deep to rely on gravity so once he's got that sorted with an agg pipe to it, I'll finish my wall and then concrete the whole lot.

19. OP
    OP
    warrenr

warrenr Member

pits installed a couple of weeks back - 800 deep with a pump. hopefully this week the slab will be poured! had a sink installed while I had the plumber, pretty ironic - but I'm lazy and couldnt be bothered going to the kitchen for cold water lol

Attached Files:

• pit.jpg
      pit.jpg
      File size:
      266 KB
      Views:
    • pit1.jpg
      pit1.jpg
      File size:
      207.4 KB
      Views:
  20. paulvk

paulvk Member

With main sewer so close and plumber I would have put the pipes in for a WC in the corner before concrete.