Bbq brisket

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by hosh0, Jan 24, 2018.

1. hosh0

hosh0 Member

Hey all,
    So got a new kamado over the summer and been doing a fair few things like ribs and pulled pork. So far everything has turned out pretty good and I've learnt heaps from every cook.

So this long weekend I'm going for the big one, smoked brisket!
    Went today and got a brisket from Costco, ideally I'd have loved to go to Vic's meats in Sydney but didn't get the chance.

Been to Costco heaps and checked the briskets and been pretty happy with them, but today they didn't have much stock left but overall still fairly okay imo. I'll be trimming it tomorrow (Thursday) and salting it then Friday night it'll go on the smoker, ready for lunch on Saturday.

I'm probably not going to wrap it but I'm leaning towards not doing just a SP rub but adding a rub with more flavours.

Happy to hear any suggestions or tips from people. I reckon I'm going to go 12 hours at 250F. Then might do burnt ends with the point.

2. salmon

salmon Member

how did you go? the first time i did brisket i was pretty happy with the result. i did wrap when the "stall" hit 2 hours of almost no temp rise so i wrapped for the last 4 hours, was a big brisket though 5KG once cleaned. i used hardcore carnivore black and its still probably my go to for brisket

3. scared&profane

scared&profane Member

When i do brisket i do it at 220f until it hits 160f internal, then sprinkle with Worcestershire sauce and wrap in baking paper - leave it till it hits 195f internal. Most recent half turned out like this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    donnowhy likes this.
  4. scon

scon Member

Brisket I usually just do a 'Dalmation Rub' - 90% pepper, 10% salt rubbed on nice and thick.

firey4059 likes this.
  5. CHiMPY

CHiMPY Member

Thread necro, but who doesn't love brisket (and then brisket nachos for lunch the next day)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. renagade

renagade Member

Where are you people buying your cuts??
    I cannot get one locally. I do not have a costco membership :|
    What cut should I specifically asking for at the butcher??

7. broccoli

broccoli Member

firey4059 likes this.
  8. CHiMPY

CHiMPY Member

The one I used was from coles.
    Brisket is pretty mainstream now. Just ask your butcher if they don't know what you want find a better butcher.

Madengineer likes this.