BBQ Pork

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by sormuijai, Apr 13, 2008.

1. OP
    OP
    sormuijai

sormuijai Member

Yep. Cannot have BBQ Pork without Choy Sum. Any other veggies just doesn't seem right! :lol:

I might need to tackle the roast pork next time and get photos. Then I can have a BBQ Pork and Roast Pork combo rice :D

2. SyN

SyN Member

heheh nice one, with a milk tea!

3. OP
    OP
    sormuijai

sormuijai Member

So I suddenly wanted to make BBQ pork again late last night (Around 10:30pm?), so I quickly wacked the marinade together and hoped that 12hours would be enough (I went nuts and gave the pork a good stabbing with a fork before marinating). This time I took more photos of the whole process. As I ran out of some ingredients, the recipe quantities were changed slightly, and it turned out quite nice anyway. I've adjusted the quantities in the recipe a bit.

The pork after marinating for 12hours:

[​IMG]

We have some hooks we made out of thick metal, which we use to hang the bbq pork with. This is optional, but its the way we used to do it in the restaurant. And its the only way to make BBQ Pork according to my dad :lol:

[​IMG]

After 45mins of roasting in the oven. I took the meat off the hook and laid it onto a rack before basting it with maltose which I had thinned down with a bit of hot water. Otherwise use honey.

[​IMG]

Close up of BBQ porky goodness...

[​IMG]

The final product:

[​IMG]

I added some water to the bottom of the pan before roasting, to stop the pan form burning, but to also catch all the wonderful meat juices. I combined it with the remaining marinade and boiled it all up. Because I had less marinade this time round, the sauce was thinner and lighter. Meaning you can drown your rice in the sauce if you want ;)

4. water_ling

water_ling Member

You got me hooked.. gotta try this now

5. kuruptz

kuruptz Member

Hey mate,

What way do you do it, do you use honey? because you say "10 tsp sugar (Or substitute with honey)"

Then you say 10 minutes before its done baste it with honey.

Whats the more traditional way sugar or honey? as i love bbq pork from Asian restaurants.

Ive never done anything like this, how often should i baste the meat throughout the whole process? and do i use a brush?

And do you use the drippings for anything or just throw them out?

Also what type of metal is oven safe and wont poison me? if i was to make hooks?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2008
  6. kini_mini

kini_mini Member

Top stuff sormuijai, every bbq place also seems to have those S hooks for the char siu, ducks, chickens, quail, etc etc :p

I'm no expert at cooking, but I've been eating it all my life and I swear there's no honey involved. Honey doesn't really figure in Chinese cuisine as far as I know.

However, if you are desperate strawberry jam is an acceptable substitute...I used it once when I was in a hurry and it worked really well. Tasted the same to me with no strawberry flavour in the end, just the usual sweetness :D

7. OP
    OP
    sormuijai

sormuijai Member

Traditionally you use sugar and some people use maltose. Not everyone has maltose in their pantry so you can substitute for honey. The marinade MUST be sweet, hence the high sugar content. Ontop of adding that much sugar to the marinade, about 10mins before its cooked, you baste it with honey or maltose to give it that lovely shine and it helps you get the caramelised burnt bits. I usually crank up the grill, but didn't have the time today as I was hungry!! :D

As for basting, when I'm cooking it on a hook, i baste once or twice only, just because its a pain in the butt to baste. If I cook it on a rack, then its easier to slide everything out and baste in, then I'll baste it 3-4 times.

When everything is cooked, I pour the remaining marinade and all the pan juices into a pot and boil it. Skim off all the scum and you have a sauce. We have a lot of sauce left over, which I pour into little sandwich bags and freeze. When I need to cook stir fries, I'll defrost a little bag and add it as seasoning/stock.

As for the hooks, we buy those metal kebab skewers and twist them into the S shaped hooks.

8. water_ling

water_ling Member

Honey BBQ pork....... yum

9. touki

touki Member

yum

ive always meant to get the recipe for this.

love bbq pork!

thanks

10. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

Love how it looks, i'm sure it tastes fantastic...mmm now i'm hungry.

11. touki

touki Member

Stage 1 complete.... marinating in the fridge as we speak.

thanks again for the recipe, i eat bbq pork at least once a week, i just love it!

this is my first ever attempt at cooking, seems to be going okay so far.

im doing 2kg worth so i will have some left over.

will update with photos later.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2008
  12. OP
    OP
    sormuijai

sormuijai Member

How did the pork turn out? I've never really written a recipe before! :p i just chuck everything in without measuring :D

13. Buddha

Buddha Member

I buy this at the tesco lotus supermarket here in Chiang Mai ... its sweet pork neck cooked in the rotisserie , about $8.00 (aud) a kg , melt in your mouth tender and absolutely delicious. Usually get about 150gms and a 20c bag of sticky rice to make a meal. Occasionally mix up some wasabi and soy for a dipping sauce but it doesn't really need it.

That red bbq is nowhere near as good. Must be a different cut of meat / cooking method as its always hard and less flavoursome. Never buy it.

Bon Appetite!

Last edited: May 2, 2008
  14. touki

touki Member

went pretty well

recipe was awesome.

basted it 3 times with the final being the honey mix, came out very succulent.

i ate so much made me feel sick, but it was worth it.

this was my first real cooking endeavour.

thanks so much for the recipe! the kitchen smelt like a chinese restaurant...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

im jealous of you budda, i loved chiang mai, i was there 2 months ago. my gick Om lives there... ;)
    love spicys and the sign 'no ladyboys'

Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
  15. Buddha

Buddha Member

Nice job Touki ... Yeah Cnx is pretty groovy but i think Ill move up to Chiang Rai for the cleaner air ... tucker is gr8 up there as well of course. ;)

16. OP
    OP
    sormuijai

sormuijai Member

Damn, now you've got ME wanting to make another batch! haha I hope you saved the pan juices from all of that! MmmmMm

I collected all the left over pan juices and marinade and froze them into little bags. We can defrost it now and use as a sauce or to stir fry with :p

17. scrantic

scrantic Member

Just bought 1 KG of pork neck will report the results back in a few days. Got to find some hooks somewhere anyone got any ideas there?

18. OP
    OP
    sormuijai

sormuijai Member

Buy the metal kebab skewers people use for the bbq. Cut and twist into shape with pliers. Otherwise, wack a cake wire rack over a pan and put the meat on that.

19. scrantic

scrantic Member

Well it is marinating currently. I will get some metal skewers tomorrow to cook tomorrow night :). I WANT IT NOW :D

20. scon

scon Member

Hmmm... I reckon if you did it with Cranberry sauce, it could taste pretty good, not authentic by any means, but tasty nonetheless. I had some Char Siu today... it was really poor, it was almost grey in colour... i should have not accepted it, but it's BBQ pork and I was hungry!