BBQ Pork

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by sormuijai, Apr 13, 2008.

1. OP
    OP
    sormuijai

sormuijai Member

My god those hooks are huge!! haha :lol:

Looks fantastic. Glad your family likes it. Hope you have leftovers!

2. Bastard Child

Bastard Child RIP

sormuijai I think your recipe put into Vietnamese pork rolls went down really well :thumbup:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

To answer an above post - when lying down, the bottom of the meat fails to brown because of the pool of water.

3. spectre257

spectre257 Member

Hmmmm everytime we go to Sydney and drop by Cabramatta we'd buy these bread rolls for the trip back home. Makes for a great change from the usual maccas fair.

Anyways mum makes this sorta bbq pork at home then stores it in the freezer for a rainy day. Makes a great addition to instant noodles, and fresh egg noodles. Though mum doesnt seem to use the same bqq sauce that OP used I'll post a pic later when I've dug up my camera :thumbup:
    Otherwise this thread makes me hungry ;___;

4. OP
    OP
    sormuijai

sormuijai Member

Yum! Vietnamese pork rolls! I should dig up the nem nuong recipe we use to make those grilled pork ball/stick things you get at cabra. They're really good in the bread rolls.

5. OP
    OP
    sormuijai

sormuijai Member

I deliberately saved a few pieces of BBQ Pork to use on a rainy day. So when it was time to make fried rice, I pulled the BBQ Pork out of the freezer and cut them into thick chunks. I also had some leftover chicken which I also cut into chunks.

Firstly, heat up the oil in a wok and throw the meat in. Chunk on some salt and pepper and stir fry until it starts to caramelise slightly. Throw in cold leftover rice and mix together until the rice starts to break up. You might want to toss in a few spoonfuls of water or stock to help it along. Add scrambled eggs, peas and whatever else you feel like. Add more salt, pepper and soya sauce (light and dark) to taste. When everything is almost done, throw in some chopped shallots. Toss and eat. A great way to use leftover BBQ Pork...if there is leftovers.

[​IMG]

We've also made a plate of combination stir fried noodles with the BBQ Pork and leftover BBQ Pork sauce/drippings we froze into little bags. :thumbup:

6. Benmc

Benmc Member

Thats some sweet looking home cooked fried rice there! :thumbup:

7. sim36

sim36 Member

I could live on chinese roast pork...:thumbup:

8. goodguy82

goodguy82 Member

The bbq pork you eat at the chinese rest will be marinated in MSG galor. Better off doing it at home.

Looks very yummy :tongue:

9. chrisrv

chrisrv Member

Made some of this on Sunday night, marinated for 24 hours and cooked it up last night - wow it was good! Everyone loved it and I can't wait to cook it again, I will definitely be doing more next time, I couldn't get hold of Pork neck cuts so just used 450g of pork scotch fillet - still very tasty but not enough of it really. We had it with jasmine rice and bok choy, I took your suggestion and boiled up the remaining marinade, very nice indeed thankyou!!!

10. OP
    OP
    sormuijai

sormuijai Member

Glad it turned out well. You theoretically can use most cuts of pork, but pork neck is probably the cheapest so you can make them in huge batches. Because frankly, 1/2kg just isn't enough!!! :D Plus it has a good ratio of lean meat to fatty meat.

Another hint is that you can try is to not cut the pieces up so neatly. Let there be jagged/rough bits so they charr nicely in the oven. (Thats if you like the burnt bits). I love the burnt bits, so the more uneven bits sticking out, the more burnt bits there are! If that makes sense ;)

11. chrisrv

chrisrv Member

Yeah I know what you mean, I was looking for neck as I knew it'd be cheaper and I could get more of it for my $$$ I won't make it unless I have at least 1kg now as I know how it turns out and how good it tastes :D

12. Bastard Child

Bastard Child RIP

13. sim36

sim36 Member

the flavour of pork fat is where its at...

the eastern Europeans do a roasted pork fat called spek. delicious but eat too much and I imagine this is the kind of sickening you describe.

14. BMan2

BMan2 Member

+100 for this recipe - it was simple and bloody good - and I like the fact the marinade flavour was quite strong through the meat - my wife commented that a lot of the time we do some marinades (honey soy etc) - it's not as strong as what this was - which made this awesome with some homemade fried rice + bok choi :p

15. SleepingSloth

SleepingSloth Member

I'm going to have to try this tonight. Any recipe for fried rice :D

16. BMan2

BMan2 Member

The easy way - it's not as good as authentic - but meh - it's quick

Cook rice

Cook vegies in frypan - I suggest Carrot + Celery + Peas + anything else + cooked meat of choice

Add rice and stir through well. Create a well in the middle and break in a few eggs - wait for them to cook and then break it up and mix it through the whole mixture - add some soy sauce - cook some more. Done :p

17. OP
    OP
    sormuijai

sormuijai Member

Fried rice is basically whatever you can find in the fridge. The way I like to make it is:

- Scramble some eggs and put aside
    - oil in a hot wok, chuck in whatever meat you like (bbq pork/chicken/beef etc), add some salt and stir fry until it starts to crispen at the edges
    - Add cold leftover rice, a dash of water or stock to loosen and combine with the meat
    - Add whatever veggies you want, like peas, diced carrot, corn etc. Mix
    - Add salt, pepper, light soy for flavour, dark soy for colour
    - Toss in scrambled eggs and any other veggies that require minimal cooking, like bean sprouts and shallots. Mix and serve

The key is to keep the wok as hot as you can at all times, and to keep stirring. If the rice sticks, it could be a lack of moisture, so add a little water or stock. This also helps soften the rice if you're using cold leftover rice. If its fresh boiled rice, the chances are there isn't enough oil. I wouldn't add too much liquid if using fresh rice. Fried rice shouldn't take more than 5 mins to cook if you've got all the ingredients ready and the wok is hot enough.

18. SleepingSloth

SleepingSloth Member

I'm starving now and can't wait to finish work and get started

19. Bastard Child

Bastard Child RIP

If 4kg of meat isn't enough, I give up.

[​IMG]

(pork loin on the left)

20. OP
    OP
    sormuijai

sormuijai Member

That's.....a lot of friggin meat......:sick:

But if you manage to cook them all properly in the oven, then I commend you. :thumbup: Pass any leftovers this way! haha