BBQ Pork

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by sormuijai, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

Yeh as a Chinese myself I can vouch for sormuijai's fried rice method - it is the correct one. I do mine exactly the same way. The eggs MUST be scrambled seperately. If I am up to it I make an omelette and then slice it into strips - looks nicer but tastes the same. I sometimes use some rice wine instead of water - gives it an extra kick.

2. OP
    OP
    sormuijai

sormuijai Member

Ahh...I've never tried rice wine before!! Might have to give that a go. Do you just add it at the very last minute?

I have seen other ways of cooking fried rice (From watching all those chinese tv series) where you pour the raw scrambled egg ONTO the rice and stir as fast as you can. The purpose is to have every grain covered in egg to make the rice look golden yellow, and not clumps of egg throughout the rice. And theoretically, all the rice grains will be seperated. In practice however, its not that easy. And if you're trying that at home, don't bother. The flame of your stove will never be hot enough to do that. We tried that method in our restaurant, using the restaurant strength stove/flame and it still didn't work out well.

3. Bastard Child

Bastard Child RIP

How do restaurant guys getting the smoked flavour in their rice?

EDIT: And the above meat will be cooked in 3-4 batches :thumbup:

4. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

sormuijai I add the rice wine at the start of it - to help break up the clumped rice. Also gives it some time to cook away the alcohol.

Bastard Child, the smokey flavor is called "Wok Hei" ("Wok's breath"). You get it by having a VERY HOT wok - so hot that oil catches fire when it touches the hot metal. Not possible with most domestic cooktops, including mine. That's why many Chinese households in Australia have an outdoors Wok burner. That's the only way you can get insanely hot woks.

5. Bastard Child

Bastard Child RIP

Aw dammit :upset:

Vietmanise BBQ Pork rolls:

[​IMG]

From the bottom:

sormuijai's pork
    cucumber
    coriander
    French bread roll from Vietmanise bakery
    spring onion
    carrot and turnip soaked in 1 Tbs vinegar/1 Tbs sugar and cold water
    pork pate
    maggi seasoning
    butter

Combine as so:

[​IMG]

6. Sifaga

Sifaga Member

love this thread

i bought 2 kilos of pork neck tonight

im about to go and marinade it

i got the chineese bbq sauce and hoi sin

i will have to go out tomorrow and find some hooks

should be enough for tomorrow nights dinner then freeze the rest for a meal during the week, probably fried rice.

is there any way to make this in a webber, would have a nice smokey flavour. i dont know if the webber would get hot enough. you would have to make some to hang the pork from.

7. Sifaga

Sifaga Member

im following the recipe from page one

but instead of the sugar can i use sweet chilli sauce, how would that go?

8. OP
    OP
    sormuijai

sormuijai Member

errr......Thats not BBQ pork! LoL And you need to add ALOT of sweet chilli sauce to get the right amount of sugar, and I think it will overpower the rest of the sauce and spices.

9. Sifaga

Sifaga Member

ok cool

just going out to find the hooks :)

10. Sifaga

Sifaga Member

i couldnt find any hooks

but they turned out great.

plenty left overs for next week.

thankyou

11. -Shay-

-Shay- Member

Zoiks and i have this marinating atm, cooking tomorrow night, possibility of pics to come.

we couldnt find pork necks, so we bought a couple kg of scotch fillets and sliced em up, used hoisin sauce, and half sugar half honey.

we will see how we go

12. Bastard Child

Bastard Child RIP

What you're after are stainless steel "s" hooks:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2-Stainless-...oryZ1276QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Seller: http://search.stores.ebay.com.au/i-...wareQQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsaselZ291545323QQsofpZ0

They do need one end to be sharpened to a point so you can skewer the meat.

You could also D.I.Y. with stainless rod and a vice, etc. but I don't have a source for the rod material (you need something at least 4mm diameter).

If you're REALLY desperate just bend some forks you've bought specifically (just make sure they're not shitty chrome plated and it flakes off).

13. OP
    OP
    sormuijai

sormuijai Member

House sells specially made S hooks for cooking purposes. Or what we've done is to use metal skewers, cut them in half and turn them into S hooks. They also don't have to be sharp. I've used the blunt end of a metal skewer and it'll still go through the meat without problem.

14. scrantic

scrantic Member

Cooking this again tomorrow night except going to give it a crack on the bbq basting several times as it cooks fingers crossed turns out well :)

15. OP
    OP
    sormuijai

sormuijai Member

Definitely report back. I'm trying to come up with a way to mass cook BBQ Pork on the BBQ Stove for Xmas this year. I'm tempted to buy a $20 mini weber like BBQ just to make this. We've got an ancient gas hot plate which just won't do! If I can be bothered, I'll convince my dad to help me on sunday to build an outdoor terracotta BBQ stove.

16. copious

copious Member

Keep me posted on the terracotta stove as I am thinking of doing the same thing!

17. scrantic

scrantic Member

Well the BBQ technique was a sucess have pre cooked it to serve up later tonight for when guests arrive. Saved a dirty oven/racks/hooks and the end result is brilliant.

Still really moist.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  18. Bastard Child

Bastard Child RIP

It's on bi-monthly rotation here :weirdo:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Goth can vouch for the quality :thumbup:

19. mrs dan77

mrs dan77 Member

Sormuijai, I was wondering if I could substitute the honey basting in this recipe for golden syrup? Hubby is allergic to honey, but it looks so good I want to try it somehow... :)

20. OP
    OP
    sormuijai

sormuijai Member

Golden Syrup would work as well. Or if you can your hands on some Maltose Sugar (Its a thick chinese golden syrupy type thing) that would be even better. Traditionally you use Maltose Sugar, but since we're not in the restaurant business anymore, it takes us about 2 years to finish one tub!! We've switched to honey just to make it easier. The other thing with Maltose sugar is that it is really thick and can make it hard to mix into the marinade or baste, but damn it tastes good! :D