BBQ Pork

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by sormuijai, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Arch-Angel

Arch-Angel Member

Anyone know a good butcher in Brissy that does 'asian' cuts of meat?

(my locals don't do neck :( )

2. mrs dan77

mrs dan77 Member

Thanks Sormuijai. Just wondering... would supermarkets sell this wonderment in the Asian section? I live in country Vic, where the Asian population is virtually nonexistant.
    Not being racist, just accessibility to good Asian food is low!

3. OP
    OP
    sormuijai

sormuijai Member

4. mrs dan77

mrs dan77 Member

Thanks for that pic Sormuijai!
    I actually had a look in my local supermarket (Safeway, but you'd probably know it as Woolies...) and, having just moved to Country Vic, I was dismayed when I finally FOUND the Asian section... Seriously, not even 1/4 of 1 side of a small aisle dedicated, and that included mexican!
    So, as long as I can source some basic substitutes, you're my only hope at getting some real Asian food into me in the next few years!

5. Arch-Angel

Arch-Angel Member

Ok, so couldn't find pork neck on the northside of Brisbane anywhere, so I picked up a few fillets instead.
    I'm going to marinate them tonight, and I've intentionally just bought a charcoal bbq (weber) to slow cook them on tomorrow night for a good few hours.

I'm salivating already... 30 hour countdown has begun. :D

EDIT: OMFG that was good!

Weber brought them up a treat! Cooked them for 3 hours on a very low heat. The meat is so soft and tender it's literally just falling off my fork. Yuuuuuummm!
    [​IMG]

Leftovers:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  6. OP
    OP
    sormuijai

sormuijai Member

Damn that looks fantastic! hahaha We're on a mission tomorrow to buy a mini weber BBQ so I can make that for xmas day. I would've done them in the oven, but we're using the oven for the Chinese Roast Pork that day.

How big is your BBQ? I'm worried about the mini webers where the meat might be too close the coals and actually burn?

7. Arch-Angel

Arch-Angel Member

I got a 57cm weber. ($40 off flEbay - winnah!)

It's about right I think for 4 fillets (Which was about $1.7kg). I think if you were to to do 2 fillets you could get away with the smaller one.
    I cooked for a couple of hours using indirect heat, then glazed and continued to cook on direct heat for about 15-20 mins (turned once in that time)
    I think the thing with the mini webers is that they dont' suffer as much if you take the lid off to turn the meat. With the big ones, everytime you take the lid off, you can safely add 10-15mins to the cooking time.

8. pugsley

pugsley Member

Going to marinade up some pork tomorrow and cook it up in the bbq for Friday night dinner. I will make sure i take some pics!

EDIT: Well that will teach me to send someone else to do my shopping. The old man came back with ham hocks and a generic masterfoods 'smokey bbq' marinade. No chinese bbq or hoisin sauce and no 5 spice.

I swear my family are foreign foodafobes.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  9. OP
    OP
    sormuijai

sormuijai Member

My batch is marinating in the fridge right now, ready for tomorrow's xmas feast. Haven't tried cooking these on a mini bbq before, lets hope i don't burn it to shit. :Paranoid:

Update: Turned out perfectly! Just need to get better coals next year so they burn better. Took me ages to get the bbq going and was about to put it into the oven as a last resort. Looks like it'll be a regular appearance at all BBQs now.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2008
  10. Bastard Child

Bastard Child RIP

I hope 5-6kg is enough for 11 people :sick:

[​IMG]

11. JPdd

JPdd Member

i was actually thinking about this last night, thanks for the thread revival! :) looks good!

12. scrantic

scrantic Member

I need to get me a couple of KG of Pork neck

13. OP
    OP
    sormuijai

sormuijai Member

If you've got the freezer space, get a few kilos, marinate and freeze into those zip lock bags. I usually marinate a huge batch and then freeze them. That way when the craving hits, its ready to go. Plus a lot of butchers don't like selling pork neck in small amounts. Usually 1kg chunks which is more than I can eat in one sitting.

Also, the time it takes to defrost, its also marinating giving it extra flavour :thumbup:

Another thing you can do is make those ginger and shallot condiments. The type you get when you go to a bbq roast shop. Its the easiest thing in the work.

Finely dice ginger and mix with some sliced shallots. The ratio depends on how you like it. I like it 50:50. My dad likes more ginger etc. Add salt and pepper to the mix. (you can also add some msg like they do in the shops, or a tiny bit of chicken stock powder)

In a pan, heat up some peanut or sunflower oil until its STINKING HOT. Pour this into the mix. The oil should cook the ginger just enough to take the burn off it.

Again, how much oil is up to you. Some people like the oil to cover the whole mix. I usually have enough oil to go up half way because its healthier. Add a good spoonful of this ontop of the bbq pork rice.... :thumbup:

14. scrantic

scrantic Member

Mmm good call, I just got a new deep freeze mmmm bbq pork on demand

15. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

:( I made this on sunday, well the recipe from wikipedia.

Didn't come out nice n red tho, tasted pretty good but maybe a little dry? I made a stirfry out of it instead. Which was pretty bloody good.

16. OP
    OP
    sormuijai

sormuijai Member

The red you see in restaurants and BBQ shop is all colouring. When we used to make the BBQ pork for our restaurant, we added red food colouring to make it look nice. But since you're cooking for yourself, its not necessary.

Some of the premade BBQ pork marinades will have a bit of colouring in there, but because the main flavouring is Hoisin sauce or BBQ Sauce (different to BBQ pork marinade) and both sauces are really brown, you won't get the right neon red you find at the shops.

17. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

OHHHH OK so I didn't do something wrong :D

Twas gooood. Still got some pork left over. And some pork i should cook when i get home cos i couldn't fit it in the oven so it's been marinading for 3 days. (is that still ok to cook?)

18. McbLt

McbLt Member

haven't read through the whole thread, but your pork looks great. I use a very similar recipe.

I use this dough recipe for my charsiew pau - http://chinesefood.about.com/od/dimsumbuns/r/charsiubao.htm

It's time consuming, but if you're spending a lazy day at home with a couple of movies or games, it's really easy to do.

19. OP
    OP
    sormuijai

sormuijai Member

Depends on how fresh the meat was when you bought it. Give it a sniff to see if its funky or not. When we do Siew Yuk/Roast Pork, we marinade it in the fridge for at least 2 days, so should be ok I think.

20. bondy_112

bondy_112 Member

edit: I can't read the OP properly.....

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010