BBQ Pork

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by sormuijai, Apr 13, 2008.

1. berto

berto Member

I've got this marinating at the moment.
    But the recipe was a bit hard to follow. Was I supposed to use Chinese BBQ sauce and Hoisin? Or was it 1 or the other?

I suppose if anything it might jsut be a bit stronger by using both, but I made the strips reasonably large so maybe not too bad.

2. shift6

shift6 Member

There's nothing wrong with mixing/experimenting, I think the first post said either but yeah, you can tailor it to your own taste.

You can get pre-made bbqpork (char siu) sauces which are pretty decent: http://www.saucenspice.com/images/products/detail/Lee_Kum_Kee-Char_Siu.jpg

3. spaced1

spaced1 Member

Thank you for the recipe. I had to modify the recipe a little though. The butcher didn't have any pork neck and I couldn't find 5 spice in coles. I grabbed some pork fillet and marinated it for about 12 hours.

So that the pork wouldn't dry out, I cooked it covered for 40 minutes @ 160c. Then I cranked up the oven to 200c for 7.5 minutes either side uncovered. It was so soft I could carve right through it like butter.

Great recipe.

4. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

nice recipe sormuijai.
    i'll be sure to try this out.

do you have a recipe or tips you can share for my other favourite chinese pork dish... roast pork belly.

http://www.google.com.au/images?rlz...&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1280&bih=909

i have a restaurant near me that sells bbq and roast pork by the kilo (as well as duck and chicken).
    it hangs in the windows and you just go in and buy however much you like.
    it's brilliant, but a little expensive (something like $24/kg).

5. Bastard Child

Bastard Child RIP

6. trop

trop Member

Sort-of got this marinating at the moment :p The wife couldn't find chinese bbq sauce, so she bought smoked hickory bbq instead... Decided to go full southern american styled after that and switched the sherry for top shelf bourbon aswell. Rather curious to see how it'll turn out.

7. OP
    OP
    sormuijai

sormuijai Member

hahaha that sounds like an interesting southern american chinese style....let us know how it goes!

8. trop

trop Member

worked out pretty well I gotta say, was very tasty and very tender. The marinade reduced down great and made a awesome sauce. The asian veg and rice didn't seem right with it though, if I made it again I'd have it with mash or nice crispy fries.

I'm keen to try your original recipe soon, in a couple weeks I'll probly give it a crack.

9. pang

pang Member

I made some the other day. I used pork neck. Marinated it for 2 days.

I used the Wiki recipe that Gunna posted. I even bought little stainless steel butchers hooks to hang it with

The marinade was a bit watery so I reduced it in a pan before using it to baste the pork in the oven.

It smoked out my whole house because the marinade that dripped onto the tray on the bottom of the oven burnt, but the pork turned out great.

In the oven
    [​IMG]

Done (a bit blurry)
    [​IMG]

Next time I think I'll double the amount of honey in the recipe. It wasn't quite sweet or stickey enough for my liking.

10. hui

hui Member

Dammit time to hit the butchers again.

Thanks!

11. SenorGrande

SenorGrande Member

Wow, I have just finished making and eating Chinese BBQ pork and was going to make a recipe but we already have one. My recipe was similar but not the same but still tasted faaarking awesome (along with some fried rice).

12. Revenge

Revenge Member

Post it up still... Always good to see some small variations to recipes.

13. Deanodriver

Deanodriver Member

I've got about 1.6kg of pork marinating now. Had to use scotch fillet pork as I couldn't easily find neck at 8pm (and had to go to four supermarkets just to get that). Also ended up using a bit of white wine for the alcohol, we'll see how that turns out, hopefully it won't ruin it.

What vegies would go best with it? I've got a couple bunches of choy sum and some broccoli and cauliflower, along with a few spring onions I could use for garnish.

EDIT: Was a success! I didn't have time to glaze the pork, but it turned out nice, needed a little more flavour though, marinated for about 20 hours. Who would have thought that 1.6kg of pork was just enough for six?

I boiled up the marinade out of the bowl, I was worried if it'd make me sick, I boiled it twice. Since I'm not sick, I'm guessing it was OK :)

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  14. scrantic

scrantic Member

2kg of Pork Neck marinating in the fridge now, I'll cook it up on the BBQ tomorrow night saves smoking the house out :). Been ages since I have cooked and should leave me with heaps of leftovers which is awesome.

15. obsolete

obsolete Member

Looks sooo good.

Anyone know where I can get pork neck in Perth?

16. GreyWolfe01

GreyWolfe01 Member

You can go with pork fillet and cook it for less time. Proven and win

17. obsolete

obsolete Member

Sounds good to me :)

18. hitman0042

hitman0042 Member

Easy Peasy Pork

19. obsolete

obsolete Member

Gave this a go tonight.

Turned out okay, though I wasn't able to get that nice charred outer on the pork. Think the water I had in the drip pan may have kept it too moist inside the oven. Still tasted okay with the marinade sauce though.

I think the oven is a bit weak or something (it isn't fan forced either). I've struggled with it in the past with roasts too compared to the one at my parents.

Will definitely give it another go one of these days.

20. Bastard Child

Bastard Child RIP

Just buy a cheapo mini-blowtorch and quickly brown it yourself at the end :thumbup: