1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

BBQ Pork

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by sormuijai, Apr 13, 2008.

1. OP
    OP
    sormuijai

sormuijai Member

Turn on the grill for the last 5-10mins if you want to get a nice char. Just make sure you keep turning them. :thumbup:

2. obsolete

obsolete Member

Cheers for the suggestions guys.

I actually made my own (crappy) hooks using kebab skewers. Best to transfer to the rack or keep on the skewer in this case?

3. Alf928

Alf928 Member

Thanks again for the recipe sormuijai. Made these the other day and they were fantastic! :thumbup::D

One thing I struggled with is basting during the cooking process (marinade + final honey). As our oven is quite low, it's quite a difficult thing to go underneath the hanging pieces of pork and with the hooks we got, the meat tends to swing around as you're brushing them.

How do you guys do it?

4. Bastard Child

Bastard Child RIP

I pull the rack out with the meat hanging off it at the same time I pull the drip tray out (oven door laying flat).

For me basting is pouring, not brushing.

5. Alf928

Alf928 Member

Yep, that's what I ended up doing as well but guess need a new oven as our rack can't hang out the oven without falling out, so needed one hand holding the rack while basting with the other. Good time to find out the oven mitt/glove wasn't that good in standing up to 180C+ rack...:upset:

6. Bastard Child

Bastard Child RIP

Dude :Paranoid:

Just unhang the meat with tongs and baste them laying down on a tray/plate.

7. scrantic

scrantic Member

These are on the list to cook again now the weather is warming up and I can get back out on the BBQ, I find it's the best way to cook them to enable basting and avoid the smoke alarm going off along with getting a nice charred edge on them.

8. Alf928

Alf928 Member

D'oh! :shock: Should have thought of that :(

Thanks, will do that now.

9. Alf928

Alf928 Member

Made some over the weekend - this method was awesome :thumbup: :D

10. icebreaka

icebreaka Member

Cooking these again after a few years... Still a winning recipe!

11. scrantic

scrantic Member

Been a while, When the weather is good next I'll pull out the Weber so much better cooked over coals. Last time I pressure cooked the meat for 20 minutes as well came out so tender.

12. OP
    OP
    sormuijai

sormuijai Member

Interesting. Never thought to pressure cook the meat. We always roasted them in the oven as we were making mass amounts for the restaurant. How did you do it in the pressure cooker? I've only ever used my pressure cooker for stews.

13. scrantic

scrantic Member

I thought I'd give it a go. Figured I was using pork neck which I'd normally low and slow in the Webber, pressure cook helped it along a little bit then the webber finished it off.

I just pulled it straight out of the marinade into the pressure cooker let it go for 20 minutes and then finished it on the Weber.

14. duyz

duyz Member

Made this the other day, just used normal oven and finished on grill. Used Chinese sugar syrup instead of honey.

[​IMG]

15. OP
    OP
    sormuijai

sormuijai Member

I've switched to using the fan forced setting in my oven cook the bbq pork. I noticed the higher temperature and circulating heat meant I was getting really nice charred bits all round without having to resort to using the grill. I either had to man the grill with a hawkeye and not step away, or sometimes accidentally burn the lovely sauce at the bottom of the pan. Using fan forced means I can do other stuff in the kitchen.

Another great variation I do, I add finely chopped garlic to the honey I baste on the bbq in the final cooking stages. The garlic bits stick to the bbq pork and caramelise without burning. :thumbup:

16. scrantic

scrantic Member

Been a while but started the process for making this again I'll let it marinade until tomorrow night then cook it up on the Webber Kettle.