NSFW beach shoot (includes swimwear - possibly nsfw but no nudity)

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by humanrace, Oct 20, 2015.

1. humanrace

humanrace Member

2. DJ_Hippster

DJ_Hippster Member

Nice work (as always!)

Loving #1, something about it is just.. right, framing, DOF, lighting, subjects pose.. :thumbup:

3. kingbob86

kingbob86 Member

Really nice set

4. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

Very nice.... 1, 3, 8 I particularly like.

5. OP
    OP
    humanrace

humanrace Member

thanks a lot. #1 was a fairly tricky shot to get, it was on the path down towards the beach and there wasnt a lot of room. Had to set up softbox and have someone hold an umbrella to block direct sun on her face. also had people walking through - got it eventually though :)

Thanks a lot

6. hdkhang

hdkhang Member

Nice photos all of them. Not a comment about your technique but the bokeh on these shots looks quite nervous and at this web size, the sharpening may be a tad strong accentuating the nervousness further.

7. OP
    OP
    humanrace

humanrace Member

which ones do you think the bokeh is bad?

I too find the bokeh pretty harsh with my shots from the 35Art.

8. SupremeMoFo

SupremeMoFo Member

Awesome shots - love the editing!

Bokeh issues -
    1 - top of frame
    3 - bit odd, rockface looks blurry as opposed to out of focus
    6 - upper right
    8 - lower right

9. sejanus

sejanus Member

really good work. agree on bokeh on shot #1 but thats being very picky.

really like #2 and #5

that girl has a great figure for swimwear shots.

10. hdkhang

hdkhang Member

While the Sigma 35 art is not known for it's smooth transitions, the scenarios presented in your photos would trip up quite a lot of lenses. Can't tell how much of the nervousness is in the lens or in the PP. I'm guilty myself of going for sharpness but when it comes to photos that I want to get right, I oftentimes will mask out the areas which don't benefit from sharpening.

The rest of your work is top notch glamour magazine quality work. You have made the model the focus of attention with good lighting, composition and PP. She would never have to fight to get our attention. I guess with the surroundings being so lovely as well, my eyes started wandering and as a result started noticing the bokeh.

11. OP
    OP
    humanrace

humanrace Member

thanks. yeah i see what you mean

thanks. yeah 1's bokeh is really bad. i prob made it worst with how i sharpened it. i do quite a bit in LR then do some highpass in PS - i cant remember if i masked it out of the OOF areas though :S

thanks man. i deff need to be more aware of the bokeh in how i sharpen, i think most of it is my fault in post. the 35A's bokeh sucks but i got a feeling it wouldnt have been noticable if i didnt sharpen the way i did.

12. hdkhang

hdkhang Member

Interested to hear of your workflow on these shots as they did turn out very nicely.

13. dche5390

dche5390 Member

There's a glow to her. I like.

14. OP
    OP
    humanrace

humanrace Member

sure :)

so i used LR for basic editing - mostly shadow and highlight recovery, setting contrast to taste, fixing WB/lens corrections etc. i also saturate the blue channel - it just makes things look nicer for whatever reason.

then i head to PS

first i do skin retouching with healing brush/spot healing brush on major
    blemishes, then frequency separation,

then sharpening (high pass),

then curves to increase contrast in the midtones (use a midtone layer mask) - i also usually set this blending mode to luminosity,

then saturation layer,

then a vingette with a curves layer and using gradient tool to mask it in,

then i look back and if i feel like the subject could be brighter to draw attention to her i use curves to brighten it and use a lasso tool to select subject with mask and gaussian blur to feather - i place this layer under the midtone contrast adjustment layer,

then colour grading which is usually a levels adjustment layer set to colour and put blues into shadows and yellows into highlights. sometimes i add a tiny bit of green into shadows and red and/or magenta into highlights

the shots with the sun behind it or with the haze on the side the effect is accentuated in PS by adding coloured gradients set to either overlay/soft light or hard light, curves (brighten it and add red channel and reduce blue) with a mask using a gradient tool, brushed in sun rays and using radial blur set to zoom, lens flare filter - its all a bit trial and error

i dunno if any of this makes sense, if it doesnt let me know and ill try clarify or screen shot layers :)

15. PhantomAU

PhantomAU Member

Not to reopen a dormant thread, but 3 is the standout for me, followed by 8.

Its all about her eyes and her facial engagement.

great photos

16. BuD

BuD Member

love teh tones in #4

17. OP
    OP
    humanrace

humanrace Member

haha i saw the title and thought, i wrote something like that before - turns out to be my thread

thanks!

Thanks! Its actually one of the first times I played around with colour grading. I actually remember that shot specifically I was unsure whether to put some greens into the shadows, as I didnt for the shots 2 shots above them and where shot in pretty much the same scene - I liked the green but it wouldnt be consistent as green didnt work for the others. I decided to forget about consistency and keep the greens. Its pretty subtle so I suppose no one would notice, its too easy to get bogged down in details which arent even really noticable