1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Beached Tanker

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by oldiedaman, Jun 9, 2007.

1. Sir Ghallahad

Sir Ghallahad Member

Click on the photo and it will go to the Flickr site with a larger version.

2. OP
    OP
    oldiedaman

oldiedaman Member

if anyone wants higher res versions, PM me your email address and what size you require and I will try and send them ASAP.

3. philquad

philquad Member

i reckon its staying
    cant see them moving it, its high and dry lol.

if u make em 2.5mb use this http://xs.to

4. Sherwy

Sherwy Member

Only way that thing is leaving the beach is piece by piece. She is high and dry. It's difficult to describe how much power there is in 60 knots winds, you kinda have to feel it to believe it. The waves were huge too, average was over 10 metres with one 17.9 meter monster recorded.

It is quite simply not possible to pull it off. Have you ever tried to drag a boogie board along the beach after the wave goes back out? The board kinda sucks onto the sand making it really hard to move. Now picture the same effect on the scale we have here and add the fact that a ship is quite a bit heavier than a boogie board!!

Even if they could find something strong enough to pull it, and lines strong enough, there are no points on the boat strong enough to take the load. Whatever they tied the line to would just rip off.

Such a shame, it's only two years old. I feel sorry for the captain and officers. Their career's are not looking good! There was plenty of warning for the impending gale, no excuses there.

Cheers,

Sherwy.

5. Mooncat

Mooncat Member

The one way they could possibly shift it is in a westerly wind, with a king tide, and dump all the ballast water to lighten the ship. And even then I doubt that it would happen, it's just to big.

6. juppy

juppy Member

I wonder if they could dredge or sand pump around it enough to get it out, would be a mammoth task.

Wouldnt like to be around it when they did that though. Does it have a flat bottom?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2007
  7. Sherwy

Sherwy Member

Yeah they are flat bottomed for most of the middle sections, but the bow and stern areas at curved or vee'd. Cheaper and easier to build flat!

Yeah dredging would be the only way to get it out, but as you said a huge task. That thing would need at least 8 or 10 meters of water to float so that is amassive amount of sand to move, as it would need to dig a channel back out to deep water.

Actually the dredge would proabably start in the deep water and work its way into the ship and dig right down one side of it and undermine it that way. You can't dredge when there is any sort of swell around so it could only opperate in really calm conditions. You'd need a really big dredge and at least 2 weeks of perfect conditions so it's not really practical.

Now that I think about it I heard it scraped over a reef before it came to rest on the beach. Dredges wont work on the reef, you need dynamite for that. The greenies would kick up a huge stink over that tho. I think they are really screwed!

8. Sir Ghallahad

Sir Ghallahad Member

They'll figure it out...somehow.

And the swells that were recorded are from the buoys off Sydney, no where near the beach.

9. Arch-Angel

Arch-Angel Member

Great shots! :thumbup:

Shame you couldn't get it with a sign saying "Stay between the flags" ! :p

10. Sherwy

Sherwy Member

Really? I heard the biggest swells were north of Sydney...... anyway I saw some fresh footage of it today and that baby is high and dry - no way it's getting off.

11. Captain Kermit

Captain Kermit Member

[​IMG]
    Sorry for the corny joke, but oh well.

I was in town looking at this today at around 12. Was really bright, it looks even bigger when you see it in person.

Lucky it was only one of the 40,000 tonne ships, they get up to 110,000 tonnes!!!.

12. suicidal

suicidal Member

Nice photos.

Aside from cutting her to sizeable pieces and removing one by one, my only guess would be to pump enough water around the ship to effectively turn the sand into a workable slurry. Perhaps with enough tugboats, they'd be able to pull her free (of course, it would sink even more once the surrounding sand is injected, so there's some risk i guess).

13. OP
    OP
    oldiedaman

oldiedaman Member

well, from the newspaper today, it seems as though they are just going to try everything and anything they can think of the get it off. Lots of tugs, dredges, the works.

14. Sir Ghallahad

Sir Ghallahad Member

Yeah...well what I meant more was the fact the swells are recorded off the coast, not on the beaches :p A lot of people go 'oh wow 17m waves at the beach', when thats clearly not the case.

15. freelancer

freelancer Member

i know its a small shot!

but this visually looks really really impressive!

[​IMG]

16. CustomX

CustomX Member

Hey oldiedaman awesome pics mate,

Is it possible that you could email me or send me full res images so they can be added to my dual screen display!

Thanks,
    Dean

email = d.rigelsford@gmail.com

17. AthlonMan

AthlonMan (Banned or Deleted)

Are you guys sure its a boat? Could be a bus or anything.

18. WolfenBits

WolfenBits Member

I was in town today to take a gander at the ship and I noticed how far the brown slick from the Hunter river was going out to sea. It seemed very well defined from normal blueish green sea colour to brown muck in the middle, then back to normal sea colour. You can really notice it from higher up.
    Anybody have any photos of the mouth of the harbour and the size of the brown slick?

19. ben03s

ben03s Member

Hey,

Here is a pic that i took from King Edward Park on monday it shows the mud and juck well.

Ben

[​IMG]

20. -spam-

-spam- Member

there is one here but you will have to register to see it though