1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Beat Dentastix alternative?

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by ricee007, Jul 1, 2020.

1. ricee007

ricee007 Member

Hi,

Labrador gets a dentastix for breakfast every day, and Id prefer to replace that with a better quality dental treat. Often $12 for 28, so, call it $0.50 each.

Greenies for large dogs can be up to $8 each, and other natural alternatives I can Google tend to be $4 - $10 each.

I love doggo, but dont feel the need to spend 16x more on his breakfast.

I'm seeing a lot of UK and USA alternatives... but no non-biased Aussie sites recommending one for less than, say, $1ish.

Anyone found any? Happy to buy bulk (like, 365 of them) if need be.

2. AngelMoo

AngelMoo Member

what about bones? the chewing motion is what cleans the teeth right so would he be happy munching on bones? I have no idea what the current price is but years ago I would get a bone the size of my arm (but much thicker) for brother's rotty from the butcher for $2. Took him a couple days to get through it

3. OP
    OP
    ricee007

ricee007 Member

Hm. Bones often make his stomach funny. I could try smaller bones, and im sure he would get use to it.

4. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

I give my dogs bones and rawhide.

5. Arctic_Silver08

Arctic_Silver08 Member

Don't go too small, they can splinter and break + dogs will try swallow them... Same goes for cooked bones

DangerMaus likes this.
  6. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

As mentioned a butcher is a better place to source bones, if you buy them from a pet shop you'll be paying $7-8 for a single dried bone.

Aldi usually has rawhide twice a year a lot cheaper than pet shops so I buy heaps of it when they have it.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    Arctic_Silver08 likes this.
  7. Arctic_Silver08

Arctic_Silver08 Member

This, and some wholesalers usually have pet mince @ like $2/kg

8. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

those silicon bones are good too

9. timsarg

timsarg Member

that's not true , there are no issues with giving any small bones as long as they are not cooked, they will splinter and break when cooked not raw.

As for the OP , look at trying your dog on roo tail with the fur on . The fur is a natural cleanser . roo tails, roo arms , pig heads cut in half are what i give my greyhound regularily . Just don't give your dog load bearing bones such as legs as they are alot stronger and can chip the pups teeth .

10. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

There are plenty of issues. Any bone can splinter, cooked bones just do it all the time.

11. timsarg

timsarg Member

the chance of bones breaking up into small pieces is a lot lower when raw compared to cooked. like anything in life there is always a chance but is heavily reduced when raw. Raw pork bones are a no no because they do splinter but it's about being educated on the pros and cons and the pro outweigh the cons of raw bones

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  12. DangerMaus

DangerMaus Member

Yes I just said cooked bones splinter more often. Speaking of being educated,

13. Arctic_Silver08

Arctic_Silver08 Member

Yeah nah, do what you want but dogs can die choking on a small bone. The bone should be larger than the dogs head as a general rule of thumb.

14. doug81

doug81 Member

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  15. Radley

Radley Member

My 2 retrievers go mad for Dentastix, which I've never really liked but we can't find an alternative they both like. One hates Greenies and the other eats everything.