Becoming a Cabler & Tools of the Trade

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Pugs, May 21, 2008.

1. Pugs

Pugs Member

Just a thread about my journey to become a Open cabler Please fell free to share your story

Please keep tool talk relevant to this thread no "general" tool talk there are already plenty of threads in the Lifestyle section.

I'm doing cert 2 in data comms @ tafe and just wondering once I'm fully licenced what tools and testing Equipment i should get ???

i currently have a very basic tool kit...

inclduing
    basic cat cable tester from Jaycar, and the "pros kit" of termination tools

i'm getting a Cabac "green donkey" next week when mine gets in
    [​IMG]

i have some Coaxial tools aswell cable stripper and hex crimp tool

Krone Plam protector..

And here are some of the ideas i have so Far.

New Krone Impact tool

Set of insulated Screw drivers

Fluke Networks DTX-1800

Plaster board saw

Cordless drill + acc.

anythng els e should get ???

Edit: If you are a cabler please share your tool kit to help others/ Toolpeniage

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  2. peteo

peteo Member

I dont know anything about it but it sounds expensive...

Is it for your own personal use or is it something that work is forking out for?

3. Heywood

Heywood Member

Are you wanting to get a job as a cabler? If so I guess you're on the right track, particularly if you're getting the Fluke.

One of the more important tools you may want to add is the humble snake, it takes many forms though :)

4. OP
    OP
    Pugs

Pugs Member

for use in my own business and working as a subbie for anyone else.

"One of the more important tools you may want to add is the humble snake, it takes many forms though " yeah I'm looking at the Ferrets both the 4 and 8meter versions, and acquiring some white tougne.

just got a price for the DTX-1800 its like $11K inc GST..lol hmm you would hate to loose one...

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  5. Rass

Rass Member

1 x small pair side cutters (quality)
    1 x large pair side cutters (quality)
    Cable ties
    velcro tape (double sided)
    1 x small pliers
    1 x large pliers
    scissors
    stud finder
    multimeter
    some sort of voltage checker (see if cables are live - ISDN will give you a little wake up)
    tape measure
    electrical tape
    gaffer tape
    a few pens
    Perhaps one of those panduit terminating tools might be ok.

They are well worth it to test and certify cables; it'll settle all kinds of arguments.

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  6. OP
    OP
    Pugs

Pugs Member

yeha i know they are but must have miss heard a person at my work placement i thought he said $1300 not $11K but yeah still very worth as i like to work smart not hard and this tool lets me do that. plug the trusty notebook on site and yeah full speed ahead.

i'm guessing conduit cutters would be a good idea.. too.

hehehe got enough sparky tape atm.. still going through stuff i had in my tool box 3 years ago..

7. fR33z3

fR33z3 Member

labeller!!!

8. Anarki

Anarki Member

Quality cordless drill, and corded drill for masonry.
    Quality drillbits, and the 1/8" ones get brokent frequently...
    Butt. (less so for data comms, more for telecomms)
    Cable finder thingy. (can't recall what these are actually called - you attach a lead or two to one end, then you can 'probe' a bundle of cables at the other end to find the one you need to terminate - lifesaver)

Do you really need an $11,000 cable analyser when you're just starting out?

9. OP
    OP
    Pugs

Pugs Member

yes and no , i just down loaded the Clipsals C2000 range lable making software , and those plates/ covers look nicer then a brother P touch label could any day. and i can get A4 sheets of them for good price... you can also do thei patch pannels and other things with the same software...

10. OP
    OP
    Pugs

Pugs Member

yes.. if i'm going to do someting i don't go at it half hearted... tho i'll have my law suit payout to pay for this so its not like i have to find the money on top of working...

i'm expecting to fork out about 30K plus a ute.. so yeah

11. ewok85

ewok85 Member

Is there any tone generators for networking gear? I hate going up to a cabinet covered in spaghetti and trying to find a cable that has gone missing :Paranoid:

Velcro is one of the best things I carry, clients love it when you make things look pretty when you are done :thumbup: I bought a small leatherman the other day, great little tool. Easier to carry that than pliers, box cutter, screwdrivers and it can open your beer when you are done for the day.

12. OP
    OP
    Pugs

Pugs Member

yeah they will work all they do is pump tone down that cable... usualy the blue /white pair then bingo you have found your missing cable

13. nimmers

nimmers Member

14. OP
    OP
    Pugs

Pugs Member

the DTX-1800 does more then that unit , gives you the abilty to print out maps of the network and such and all the pass fail onthe cables.. also being able to verifie which cable is at fault.

15. Rass

Rass Member

see if you can get one with an adjustable volume. when working in an office, you'll really feel uncomfortable with the noise those things make when you get close to the right cable :)

There's always something you'll forget, so a leatherman or similar is good - you can do almost anything with one of those.

scotch locks. lots of scotch locks.

16. Texxx

Texxx Member

Not a huge fan of fluke cable tracers, they ring at any crosstalk amongst cables. I would get (well i have) a oldschool AEGIS tracer and molex mod taps for testing. I feel I can be 100% sure I have the right cable when I use the AEGIS tester but not when I use the fluke.

As for other tools you will need fiberglass rods + yellow tung. It's going to be worth investing in some seriously good hole saw's and not the typical blue suttons as you may be drilling out wall studs. Get a sutton kit from the FROST range.

Unless you are planning on getting a 18-36v cordless drill/hammer drill a power drill will get you by, I prefer using them because they cut faster and I don't have to worry about batteries.

As for the certifier, you may find it will be better off leasing one and getting a new improved faster model in three years. Or perhaps going halves with another contractor.

17. Whisper

Whisper Member

List of things not already here: (I think)

1. Laptop that you can actually stand to carry around that has a serial port built in.

2. Loopback plugs/cables

3. USB Flashdrive

4. Multi-Meter

5. Cable Ties

6. Various Screws, bolts & nuts

7. Permanent Marker

8. Bendable Telescopic Magnetic pickup thingy

9. Leatherman

10. Flashlight

18. ben699

ben699 Member

i would skip the tester, and hire it when needed, and if the demand is there then invest in one, as hiringin one will keep a better cash flow.

make sure if you go for a ute you have a decent back end, remember if you put ladders on top you may or may not make it in to undercover car parks.

Get commercal rego as you can then use special loading zone and your insurance has to match.

Are you going out on your own , or going thru as an employee of a company?

Are you wanting to do more, cabling or telecommunications or data as the basic hand tools of a good screw driver , Krone tool and clippers may get you thru most.

Add in to it an acma licence and your insurances.

You might be amazed alot of tradyies are going for some cheaper tools, eg ozito percusion massonary drills, has warrenty for 3 years if it lasts longer cool, if not then replace it then.

When you are trying to get experiance on the field, you will see what other techs use and get a good idea on what is good average or crap.

19. OP
    OP
    Pugs

Pugs Member

needing the tester as most of the time i'll be the person with the open cabling licence.. and the one running the install. < cash flow not fussed about , getitng a large law suit pay out, so some of that will cover all these tools and set the business up

yeah cheers not a huge van person... drove a sprinter van for 3 years so yeah over vans.

out on my own to start with and also doing subbie work.

going to tafe for that will pass with flying colours. yeppers will need that..

20. ben699

ben699 Member

so , do you have your licence or not, as if just going to tafe, you then need 6 months experiance in the field with some one that will sign you off.

Other good things to have, if cabling are extension bits, and good spade bits, plus snakes in various lenghts just not metal ones.

The usual ladders and that are also helpful, If doing a lot of work on building sites may consider blue card as in construction , and blue card for the kids (for got that name) An elivated work platform licence is worth while, and double check your insurance levels, as most companies i thought were1 or 2 public comms is 5 i think.