Bec's Boho Shoot

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by TheBear21, Sep 6, 2016.

1. TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

Had my first outing with both my Godox AD600 (missed the group buy as I didn't have the money at the time :( ) and my new Tamron 85mm f1.8 VC lens which I used for all bar one of these shots.

AD600 was used in TTL to test it out and damn am I impressed!

CC's please...

[​IMG]
    Bec
    by Crew One Photography, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Bec

[​IMG]
    Bec

[​IMG]
    Bec

[​IMG]
    Bec

[​IMG]
    Bec

[​IMG]
    Bec

[​IMG]
    Bec

2. dche5390

dche5390 Member

Very good (everything!). What is this AD600!!?!

Perhaps darken the foreground ferns in #6?

3. berek

berek Member

There's fern? :p

4. OP
    OP
    TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

Thanks. I did burn them a little. Maybe could go a little further?

The AD600.... Also rebadged by Adorama as the Flashpoint Xplor

And there was a group buy, which got an awesome price, but I didn't have the cash at the time.

5. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Really nice set, putting that AD600 to great use. I dig the processing too, seem to have hit that stride you were after. :thumbup:

Only one that doesnt work really for me is #4, that hand is very unflattering in that angle/shape

Also the dodging from the waist down in #1 is really distracting. I'd probably burn the shadows up close in specific areas to bring the contrast/blacks back.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  6. dche5390

dche5390 Member

I'm sold on this light!

7. OP
    OP
    TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

Cheers. Was kind of an off the cuff moment. Some bloke walked past and gave it to her. She had it there and I took the photo. Trying to think how to improve it? Or just not have it altogether? Hand coming from out of frame is never a good idea....

You've got a good eye. I found with this one, using a 36" octa I had too much light fall off on her legs and tried to bring the exposure up on them. Probably did a fairly quick and dodgy job of it. I'll see what I can do to improve that.

It is pretty impressive. It stacks up well in comparisons with Profoto B1's, especially considering the price difference.

8. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Its a really solid set, dont get me wrong.

I would have probably just culled #4, but I know what its like when working on a set, I see a lot of the appeal of the photo.. just the hand.

I look at thousands of photos a week, have to be detailed.. I go a bit bananas looking at so many tbh.

9. humanrace

humanrace Member

nice set.

only critique would be the skin tone differences in 1 and 2. her bottom half is redder than the top half

10. OP
    OP
    TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

Yeah I guess that's what I was trying to do with the dodging. I know when I first set this shot up I had to move the light back as the top of her was hotter than the bottom. Maybe this photo was one of the earlier ones before I moved it back. Not sure right now.

11. connico

connico Member

Is it me or does her face look like its made of leather?

12. breno

breno Member

Looks great, she looks like Elijah Wood in the last shot :lol:

13. MichaelRitter

MichaelRitter Member

I like all the pictures so well done, :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2016
  14. clrobbo

clrobbo Member

It's been the greatest problem for foundation makeup artists for a long time. The advent of liquid foundations and such have improved the textures but the skin immediately starts to dry these after application. Super high resolution photography only highlights it more. The next biggest problem is lines in the lips. To cover them up you need to over gloss the lips and lose the great natural colours and facial blending of natural features.
    Make no mistake, this model has flawless skin..................and no photographer alive can fix this....the skin has pores....lol.
    Flawless skin on faces can really only be found on adolescent and pre-adolescents............and unfortunately (or fortunately really) they don't generate as much interest in the photography world as a mature woman.
    As a waiver I will admit there are exceptions to this rule, but these models are extremely rare.
    These are great pics of a beautiful person. It takes a bit of confidence to have someone stand so close to your face with a camera full knowing these pictures will be spread around the world............

15. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

What kind of light mod did you use bear?

16. BuD

BuD Member

some nice pics of a pretty girl. like the colour of the chosen outfit to

look at pic #4 on her right eye there is a highlight under the eye whcih i find distracting as its not on the other eye. clone that sucker out :)

17. OP
    OP
    TheBear21

TheBear21 Member

It's an SMDV Speedbox A90. It's a really amazing foldable octa (or should that be dodecahedron). Bit spendy but amazing quality and in my opinion the best folding system.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Both a bit dark but gives you an idea of it.

18. !nsane

!nsane Member

Hey mate great set.

Do you mind sharing your general processing for these? It looks like blacks have been crushed a little, but I'm really digging the style.

19. Walshy

Walshy Member

My immediate thought on seeing those pics was that it was makeup causing that skin texture. I don't pretend to know much (or, indeed, anything!) about makeup & how it interacts with photography, but I do know my preference is for as little makeup as possible, preferably none! (My wife generally only wears a sunscreen-type product, which I probably should have emulated for the last few decades, seeing as I had a carcinoma cut out of my forehead a few weeks back!)

Hear, hear! :thumbup: