bed controller

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by philquad, Jul 25, 2020.

1. philquad

philquad Member

anyone know how something like this works

i have a new hospital bed with new type controller
    my old one, the controller just had 3 momental ? switches in a housing, head-up\down etc
    i want to wire the new type to the old type switches but after smashing open a broken one, the new type has a circuit board in it, with 14 wires, 1-13 seem to relate to (1-head up\ 2-head down) & so on.
    the old type, 1 wire to each side of the toggle switch with another common wire.

thought i could just rewire it but im worried now it wont function without the circuit board.

th.jpg

2. merlin13

merlin13 Member

Other thing to look at - the plug on the end of the new controller cable.

If that's got lots and lots of pins in it (presumably the same as your old one), then the your new controller will probably also be all switches and mayb a LED or two and you'll be looking at some serious work with Mr Multimeter.

Veeeeery unlikely they'd be direct pin compatible, so even if the pin count and plug/socket format matches I would not simply plug it in.

If it's got only a few pins then more than likely the new controller will have some serious smarts in it, multiplexing the different button signals. At which point you would be pushing it uphill trying to graft the old controller onto onto the new bed. That then might be worth a phone call to the Manufacturer perhaps.

As an aside - Wife's electric bed has the same button count as yours there with two LEDs on it as well, she's go a Bend Up At The Knees movement instead of your Trend/til one. NFI what the wiring looks like because haven't needed to/bothered to look, and asking her just now she won't let me dismantle it...

3. OP
    OP
    philquad

philquad Member

sorry im confusing, its a new bed, new controller like above, i scored a broken controller as well so i can try to map it to a box with toggle switches (old bed\controller)< 3 switches 6-7 wires(brains was probably in thge bed end)

after beaking the spare new controller apart, found 13 or so wires go to internal curcuit board with buttons on it. will try to get a picture
    suppose at worse could wire it from buttons on circuit board

4. merlin13

merlin13 Member

Don't use toggle switches, unless you select momentary action ones.

Any particular reason you want to change the buttons over? If it's because your fingers don't want to work too well (like the Wife's are getting to...) then ponder going all Geek and Frankenstein up a touchpad-type button setup, those non-movement surface contacts like you see on light switches and bedside lamps.

Or even do The Ask in here for someone to help do up a voice activated boxen... :)

5. OP
    OP
    philquad

philquad Member

yes i use momentary switches, i guess my old bed was simple, or brians part was under the bed, the controller (momemtary switches) just had 2 wires for each switch, maybe a common.

checked out the broken spare they give me, i dont i can do as i wanted as 13 wires from the bed, go into a circuit board that has the flat touch buttons, & yes i have trouble pushing
    them in, need 2 hands, when sitting up im ok, but then i lie down, im like a turtle on its back, the controller ends up in my mouth & i bite down on the button, even just wiring the "head up" to a separate button would work
    but means smashing the new control open & even then it may not be possible.

they offered voices activation for $2000, bit rich, ibought a alexa ? from amazon for 10 bucks yesterday, could someone rig up voice function you think?

6. merlin13

merlin13 Member

If the operations are literally only buttons in the hand controllers you could ponder grafting two of them together in parallel:

- one hand-held on a flylead for when you're sitting up;

- the other attached to a frame/hospital bed table/whatever, that you can easily reach 'n operate when you're laying down.

Or variants thereof... ;)

You still need that to then "speak"/communicate with a widget that'll convert voice to physical switch operation. Hence the $2k for the Name Brand one that'd plug straight in, ouchy as that price is.

First evil thoughts on that - grab a handful of IoT controllers (light/powerpoint thingies) and Frankenstein a bundle of those into a widget. Messy and potentially exxy but do-able...

Buuuuut with any IoT hardware, if for any reason your ISP goes down, you're screwed... it'll only have to happen once and until they come back online you'll literally be like a turtle - flat on your back waving your arms 'n legs around.

7. OP
    OP
    philquad

philquad Member

a quick google on voice beds yes theyre very crude & have pitfalls, & how hell is the bed going to hear me while rambos using a m16 @ 120 decibels lol.

so i think you mean, as i thought, wiring a extra button just to the head up ? would work, $100 jelly bean switch i use on my chairs. < get into these ocau entrepreneurs

looking at the spare controllers board, theyre small push button switches, jelly bean switch has 2 wires, just solder them to back of the circuit board switch?

10033400_f_jelly_bean_twist_-_img_1984_-_web.jpg

8. merlin13

merlin13 Member

Yup. Assuming you've got room for at least 6 of those, or one for every controller button/function that you want to make easier to operate. Hence another vote for voice...

Stoopid Question though - had a word to NDIS on the voice option for your bed?

9. OP
    OP
    philquad

philquad Member

well actually only 1 button, head up< once up, i can use it, could glue it
    to the controller id say.
    ndis, didnt want to push my luck, been pretty nice lately
    besides i like a challenge, otherwise i wouldnt be on here :tongue:

10. OP
    OP
    philquad

philquad Member

well it took months but, the bed mob finally got me another controller that works, so we opened the bigger style one, was able to solder 4 wires for 2 of the button functions, head up - head down
    ran them out the back of it & down the cable to the bed about half way, then hooked up to a 4 wire stereo type jack, & wired to momentary buttons under my bedside table,
    now when i go nye nye they plug in the extra buttons from the table & i can easily reach over & use the head up-down function. crude but it works.

Symon likes this.