Bee Keeping

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by Widman, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Widman

Widman Member

Anyone keep bees? Got any tips or tricks to share?

Asking around I haven't come across anyone who is unhappy with the Flow Hives, but I thought I would ask a broader audience. They look like the bees knees :tongue:

I've done a WEA bee keepers course, and have a rural property so neighbours aren't likely to be an issue.

Looking at getting a nucleus this spring.

Anyone know of a reputable bee keeper who would sell nuclei in SA?

2. Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

3. Baringa

Baringa Member

I really want to keep bees, and there's a course I want to do but its a little too expensive this term, so I might hold off til next term. You get a hive and a colony to keep at the end of the course though!

4. brycer

brycer Member

We are renting a couple of hives for a year to see how we like it. Two hives were dropped off about a month ago. Beekeeper came today for the first check so I got suited up and involved in checking the hive. Very interesting and a great way to learn without committing yourself to the outlay on hive and equipment upfront only to find its not for you.

5. Bourke

Bourke Member

Do a bee course, try to find the Bee Informed magazine, apply for a Registration Number, buy the biggest bee book you can....practice.
    Theres no one perfect way, you'll make mistakes or get it wrong, it's a constant journey...limiting the bad things is what will keep you moving forward.

My dad is a bee keeper, my Grand dad on mums side (ran +500 triples on his own), Grand dad/ uncle on dads side ( kept Bumble bees in Germany), and i've always been around bee hives and i'm a little allergic, never spent 1 minute in a hive but I will, it's my destiny.