Beef and Guinness Pie

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by pugsley, Nov 25, 2009.

1. pugsley

pugsley Member

Sorry for the lack of pics first up, i was in a rush to get these done so i only grabbed the camera when i remembered it so every step is not covered with an image.

First off and ingredients list...
    1kg of chuck beef diced to bite sized pieces
    2-3 rashers of bacon
    2 cloves of garlic
    1 carrott
    1 stick of celery
    1 onion
    4-5 mushrooms
    1tsp rosemary
    1tsp thyme
    1 can of Guinness
    1 cup of beef stock
    corn flour to thicken if needed.

First up chop your veggies and add them along with the garlic to a large pan to sauté until tender
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Once the carrots are soft add a handfull of chopped mushrooms. The brown your beef and bacon in a separate frying pan until nice and brown. Then add that to your veggies and add in the Guinness, stock and herbs and let simmer for about an hour until the liquid has reduced and the beef is tender. Then let cool

Pie Base.
    2 cups of plain flour
    1/2 tsp salt
    2/3 cup of hot water
    60g butter

Sift flour and salt into a bowl and form a well in the middle. Mix hot water and butter together then pour into well. Mix until a dough forms and then knead the dough for 4-5 minutes before separating into 6. Roll out the dough until they fit in their lightly oiled tins.

Fill with steak and guinness filling and top with a sheet of puff pastry. Crimp the edges and eggwash the tops to help them brown.

Bake in a 180c oven for about 40 minutes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. scon

scon Member

They look pretty damn amazing! Colour me impressed!

3. OP
    OP
    pugsley

pugsley Member

High praise coming from the likes of you. Thanks! :):thumbup:

They were great, but if i had to change something i wouldnt have let it boil down as far as i did. It needed just a touch more liquid/gravy in the pies. But taste wise it was spot on.

The original recipe i read a few months back (It was that simple i memorised the basic recipe after reading it once! That doesnt happen often :p) they put cheese on top of the filling before the top went on. I omitted it thinking it would have been too much. And i think i was right to do so. But if anyone uses my recipe please feel free to add the cheese if you want and let me know how it goes!

4. Quan-Time

Quan-Time Member

needs more pix ! They look VERY delicious.

Hows the meat turn out ? nice and soft and sorta falls apart ? thats the sort i love. Might have to try this i think.

5. 0M39A_1337

0M39A_1337 Member

recipe is pretty similar too mine, but i add a good splash of worcestershire sauce, some ginger and some tomato paste. potato goes well if you like more veggies too.

that, and i like to use my homebrew foreign export stout over guinness ;)

if you're in a rush, throw it in the pressure cooker instead of a long slow simmer. might come out a bit runny, so just use some corn flower to thicken.

6. stextc

stextc Member

Damn . . .
    Those pies looks great.

7. dacow

dacow Member

Looks delicious! I have to dry this, need to buy a rolling pin though!

8. gaz86

gaz86 Member

:thumbup: Fantastic work mate, will be definitely trying this at some stage... :thumbup: