1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Been on a diet? Done clean eating? Help me.

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by fonzo, Jan 13, 2014.

1. sormuijai

sormuijai Member

My favourite summer thing right now is flavoured water (still or sparkling). I keep a jug of water at home stuffed with sprigs of mint. Flavours the water without needing sugar. Other stuff I've put into the water:

- mint and cucumber
    - mint and green apple
    - lime slices and cucumber
    - blueberries and cherries (sliced to extract flavour)
    - Strawberry and mint
    - Orange and strawberries

Combos are endless. You just need to find the ones you like. Need more flavour? Add a tea bag and you have iced tea. If you do want something sweet, add some sugar, but the aim is to add less and less as you go. Your tastebuds will be trained to expect less sugar. So when you go back to coke, it will taste too sugary sweet to you.

2. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

no more food blog then?

3. sormuijai

sormuijai Member

haha I haven't blogged in years. Should remove that....basically no time to sort/edit photos or write. Doesn't mean no eating and cooking though! Quicker to instagram ;)

4. [PnP]dredd

[PnP]dredd Member

I successfully moved from Coke to black coffee. That was more than 10 years ago, and I'd love to calculate how many calories I've saved since then!

I find that cooking for other people is much more fun than cooking for myself.

So: get married, have some kids. That way you'll be responsible for the health of others, and your diet will have to improve.

5. Aratama_Bashi

Aratama_Bashi Iron Photographer

i don't think there is a calculator powerful enough! isn't black coffee something like 2 calories? compared to coke.... :wired:

6. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Member

Do you think that perhaps, just perhaps, the reason we have these modern diseases is not simply that our diet has changed in the western world?

Could it be that life expectancy has doubled in the last 150 years (http://www.uwic.ac.uk/shss/dom/newweb/images/life_expectancy_over_time.gif) and just perhaps we are actually seeing these new strange diseases as a result of millions of cell replications over time - some of which are not flawless?

I'm not discounting diet as a cofactor, but to lie the blame at diet is hilariously wrong.

7. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I respectfully disagree. As a food addict, I needed to go cold turkey. If I ate shitty stuff once, the craving built to intense levels and I fell off the wagon every time.

For me, cold turkey clean eating was the only thing that worked. Each to their own, of course, but slowly removing things failed me every time. Only once I went 100% healthy did I start to find success.

As always, find what works for you. For me, that was cutting out processed foods, sugars and dense carbohydrates entirely, upping my protein to feel satiated, and doing short, high intensity exercise more regularly.

8. SpicEwEazle

SpicEwEazle Member

"High" protein is almost unavoidable when eating a diet with a large amount of meat

I'm sorry, but do you have anything at all to support that claim? Prior to the domestication of grain and cattle we were hunter/gathers. We died of starvation, cold, disease, arthritic conditions, infections etc etc.

And if you really want to go down this road then most of the food you currently eat did not exist ( at least in their current form) until very recently.

Do not confuse sugar with carbs in general. Sugar is probably the single most damaging food discovery we've ever made; Carbs were an important food stable for most of modern history. Rates of Diabeties and obesity (and therefore heart disease, though we couldn't diagnose it at the time) increased dramatically after sugar became widely avaliable. Given most cancers occur in the soft tissues it's very hard to make any claim as to cancer. However, it's quite likely cancer has always existed, we just haven't had the means to diagnose it. Same can be said of heart disease.

My point was that we've yet to determine the long term effect of the high fat associated with these diets. Or exactly how many years such strict diets will increase your life span by.

9. TehCamel

TehCamel Member

Cohens.
    It's an eating plan devised based on your personal bloodwork and stuff (apparently. my wife's plan is almost identical to a female friends' plan)

It costs a bit (around 800 back in 2007) but it does actually work.

it basically cuts out all carbs, puts very specific proteins in place, and with very specific gaps. There's also only certain vegetables you can drink, and specific aamounts of crackers and water and fruit you have to eat in the first week.

at the end, they put you on a "refeed" where protiens are slowly reintroduced, and proteins are mixed etc.

(I just used my wife's plan and multipled everything by 1.5x. It worked, but whether it has the long term effect, i dunno yet)

the theory behind it is re-teaching your body and hormones.. essentially once you finish, if you start packin on weight again and are just bad (for instance, over christmas) you can do a week or two back on the start of your plan and th weight just disappears again.

as a side note - you actually ARE allowed to have 2 cans of coke (diet coke, or coke zero) every day, as well as diet, sugar free lemonade, or ginger ale.

what pissed me off, is i like to be able to eat celery or carrot whenever I feel like, and I coulnd't do that.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  10. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Member

[​IMG]

Given the average onset age for most cancers, humans generally didn't live long enough to a) develop, or b) die with cancer as the primary factor. It's only now this is an issue.

For sure you see a spike in aliments once an accurate diagnosis can be implemented large-scale - but the bulk of the first world killers have really only started to show prevalence in the last 50 years - and these are generally age-related illness. See: Alzheimer's and ADHD.

11. LaVoisin

LaVoisin Member

Get Tosca Reno's books. Her approach is moderate and will help you heaps.

The biggest thing I had to learn was cooking my own food/ snacks and buying accordingly.

It was tough in the beginning but I've lost three dress sizes and still eat chips and pizza.

12. SpicEwEazle

SpicEwEazle Member

*Blush*

Ah, so in the same way many men die with prostate cancer but not of it, people probably had cancer but died of other causes prior?

What about testisticular cancers / leukemia etc that tend to occur in younger people?

13. Turnip Dude

Turnip Dude Member

Can we please keep this on topic with advice for OP and not have it devolve into yet another 'paleo is great/paleo is crap' argument?

Juicing will get the best (as in optimal) results with the least effort in the shortest amount of time. If OP needs a boost to get things going it is the way to go. Positive results are noticeable much sooner than in any other form of diet modification. Quick wins build reinforcement.

Learning to cook nutritious meals, planning ahead, reading labels are all great mid to long term goals and what everyone should aim for, but they are big steps to take from a standing start.

One juice a day (depending on the recipe) in the morning before work and after 4 to 5 days you will notice clearer mental states, cleaner skin, less tiredness. The changes will be small to start with but definitely noticeable. After 2 to 3 weeks you will have loads more energy and a much reduced craving for 'bad' foods. Start on a Saturday or other day off, it can take time to learn to get the best of a juicer and you don't want to be late for work!

One green apple (seeds, stalk and all), one medium carrot (washed but not peeled), one stick of kale (rinsed), half a lemon (some people take the rind off but I CBA), and a lump of ginger. Optional half a beet root if you like. Stir and drink straight away. Don't forget to clean the juicer straight away too :D

Different veggies have different health benefits, and there are plenty of websites out there that list them if you want to custom make your own recipe tailored to your own desired outcome.

If you don't like the taste just chug it down like medicine (it is). Don't worry, you will soon learn to like the taste and to love the effect it has on your body.

If you're put off by the cost of investing in a decent juicer ($500-$700) then set yourself a challenge. Find a local juice bar and buy one a day for a month.

As others here have said, switching from sugar drinks to sugar free is not a bad idea in the short term, but there is continuing controversy over the health effects of artificial sweeteners, especially when consumed in quantity.

14. Grimace22

Grimace22 Member

I'm pretty sure eating big meals once a day is more stressful on the body.

Our ancestors were also 3 feet tall and lived to 25. While i agree that eating "raw" foods is good.

Anyway, what kind of proof are you basing this on?

15. Turnip Dude

Turnip Dude Member

Can we please keep this on topic with advice for OP and not have it devolve into yet another 'paleo is great/paleo is crap' argument?

I'm not a mod but I'm going to copy/paste this reply to every post that isn't on-topic until a mod tells me to stop. People, OP is asking for help with a fast food and soda problem and I for one am interested in the results.

Prehistoric Humans didn't stop off for a brachyosaurus burger with extra dill at McUgg on their way home from the flint-napping factory so their dietary concerns aren't relevant, and personally I'm tired of seeing people retreading the same boring old unprovable off-topic arguments about whether the Illuminati paid George Louis Stephenson to invent cancer of the left elbow to defeat the Cossacks because they ate too many beets. That's what it sounds like to me. Show me your advanced degrees in archeo-oncology and archeo-nutrition (with peer reviewed sources) and I might take you seriously. Until then it just sounds like "waa waa" to me.

So advanced techniques like intermittent fasting work for you? Great! How do you think they will work for someone that is just starting out into eating and drinking healthier? Day one, a struggle. Day two, guaranteed failure. Great advice dude. Good for you for killing that workout, that nugget of info really helps OP a lot. And well done everyone else for feeding a troll that needs to be at the gym in 26 minutes.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  16. Grimace22

Grimace22 Member

Sorry boss, i was trying to point out flaws in the lawrencep, much similar to what you have done.

By the way, kettle black situation going on here. Just because juices worked for you, doesnt meean it will work for the OP. Plus as pointed out, juices aren't the godsend they may seem to be.

Balanced diet(and calorie counting), steady regular exercise. That is my simple opinion on tackling weight loss.

17. Stone2x

Stone2x Member

Exercise, lean meat, eggs, vegetables (a mix of colours and limited potato as they're calorie dense compared to other veg), salads, nuts, limited fruit and water all week and one junk meal works for me :thumbup:

My junk meals have gradually changed from KFC, Maccas, take away pizza, etc to home made pizzas, higher fat meats (like pork belly, roasts, etc), excessive fatty fishes... I rarely even feel like take away junk unless i'm drunk.

I was never a big soft drink drinker except as a mixer for alcohol and now I've just changed from Coke to Coke Zero.

For lean meats I bake weekly batch of;
    - chicken breasts with spices on them
    - kangaroo snags (bush tomato ones as they don't leak like the plain ones)
    Sometimes I'll buy a lean steak like eye fillet or a small portion of salmon. Tinned is a backup when I forget to have a protein cooked to go with my veg or salad but that's pretty rare now.

Pretty much all veg can be microwaved so buy fresh, chop, nuke. Or if I'm in a rush I just get some mixed frozen veg out of the freezer and nuke them.

18. lawrencep93

lawrencep93 Member

Some carbs are just as bad or worse than sugar, look at how white bread spikes blood sugar more than pure sugar. The issue is high blood sugar levels that causes disease, yes sugar is even worse as it is 50% fructose and when you have too much fructose it makes the liver fatty (I know I had fatty liver when I was on my old diet that never worked I ate like 5 serves of fruit a day).

Anyway, I still think that the average person should reduce their sugar and carb intake. If you are male and have fat mainly in the belly area that is usually an indication of not being able to tolerate carbs as well as others, so reduce carbs increase fat from good sources.

Also who said you had to eat a lot of protein on keto???

I ate 200g of fat, 60g of protein and 20g of carbs the other day!
    I made myself some pork belly, ate some avocado with it and spinach.

Last night I got sausage mince from the butcher made balls and wrapped pancetta around them, then shallow pan fried it in butter, chucked some spices and herbs on it as it was cooking, then poured the butter sauce on my avocado and balls, was the most amazing dinner ever!

19. SpicEwEazle

SpicEwEazle Member

Sorry Turnip but Juicing is essentially a meal replacement program little different to "super slimming Shakes" etc. It is a gimmick. You'd be far better off eating the vegetables and fruit whole.

We are getting way off topic here, so I will return to my orignal statment:

"Just be aware the science on the long term effect of high fat, high protein, low carb diets is still very much open for conjecture. "

The first clause is the most pertinent with regards to the long term heath implictions( specifically CVD and heart disease) of such a diet, with or without high protein. Whilst there is a growing amount of data to suggest lower carb diets are beneficial in the short term there is little data on whether the high fat associated with many of them still poses a long term risk. As contemporary medical doctrine still relates a high fat diet with an increased risk factor for heart disease, such diets should be entered into with caution and probably with the assistance of a qualified medical practitioner.

The above is not an argument against Keto/Paleo diets, but rather a warning highlighting the fact the we are still in the early days of understanding how people react to such diets.

The issue is further complicated as people often combine such diets with intermittent fasting and very strict portion control, making it difficult to determine what exactly is the cause of weight loss and whether one would be as effective, or safe, without the others.

As I doubt you are in anyway qualified ( formal qualifictions in medicine, biology or the like) in such matters I would stop trying to spruik these diets especially if you are not letting people know that the long term effects are still unkown.

TO THE OP: Cut out soft drinks, stop eating fast food, start exercising and go see your GP. There are no quick fixes. Aslo know that you do not need to be super slim/buff to realise substantial health benefits from better eating and excercise.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  20. lawrencep93

lawrencep93 Member

I understand, but I was never able to lose weight or stick to a diet, by doing everything we are told and my GP told me to do.

Giving advice on an alternate route that worked for me and many many others when currently a conventional wisdom diet approach leads to over 90% failure rate.

Also 75% of patients who were admitted to hospital in the USA with some sort of CVD event, Had cholesterol levels in normal levels (under 200).

The main argument for Heart disease is that Fat increases cholesterol, which will be the knowledge as long as we have multi-billion dollar drug companies pushing stains and asking the Gov to constantly lower cholesterol guide lines to put more people on stains.

Anyway rant aside,

Up to the OP what suits the OP best and is easiest to follow long term and is tasty.

Honestly a diet where you are hungry will never ever work.

The only diet that works is one where you are not hungry and you don't have to exercise, but only exercise because it gives you so much energy you want to exercise!