Beer Can chicken taken to the next level. with pics.

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by username_taken, Apr 10, 2005.

1. username_taken

username_taken Member

So, I'm at the bottleshop down the road and they have 5l kegs of grolsh for $25. I buy one thinking "man, I could make Beer can EMU with this bastard". Now I don't have Access to Emu's, so I thought I'd do the next best thing. I prepared and cooked a 3 course meal with each course revolving around beer.

[​IMG]

For some reason I managed to forget to use the camera for the entree, but I took photos of both the main course and dessert.

I was amazed at how awesome it all turned out. The cheese & ale is an old favourite of mine so I knew it would be good, but was surprised at just how delicious the Chicken was, and the biggest surprise was the dessert, I didn't think it would be all that great but I really liked it was quite refreshing, an excellent finish to a very heavy / strongly flavoured dinner.

Entree : Cheese & Ale
    Main: Beer Can Chicken with Beer Puddings
    Dessert: Never Eat Yellow Snow

Entree : Cheese & Ale

Ingredients

* A block of good quality cheese
    * Beer
    * 1 Cob loaf of bread

Method

Heat a saucepan on low and add a dash of beer. Chop up the cheese into cubes and put in saucepan, stir as the cheese melts making sure it doesn't burn to the bottom of the pan. Occasionally add beer to cheese to maintain a nice consistancy. Once all the cheese is melted turn off the heat and season to taste.

While the cheese is melting cut the top off the cob loaf. Rip out the flesh of the bread so that the cob loaf is hollow and you have a heap of reasonably sized portions of bread. When the Cheese & Ale is ready poor into the cob loaf, put the top back on and serve immediately.

Put in the middle of the table and dip bread chunks in to eat it. Can also dip raw vegetables like carrot and celery.

Feel free to experiment with different types of cheese, even mixing several. for example Dutch Smoked Cheese and Spiced Gouda. If you like it nice and stringy add mozzerella.

If you have a Fondu kit, you might prefer to serve it as a fondue in one of those pots with the burner underneath to keep it runny.

Main: Beer Can Chicken

Ingredients:

* 1 large chicken
    * 1 can of beer ( can use an empty tin can )
    * good handful of fresh Thyme still on sticks
    * whole bulb of garlic
    * 1 large lemon
    * 4 Chillis
    * Salt and Pepper
    * Various spices: Paprika, Coriander seeds, etc.
    * Honey
    * Soy Sauce
    * Your choice of Vegetables for Roasting: Potato, Carrot, Pumpkin, etc.

Method:

Slide your fingers along the thyme to remove the leaves from the sticks leaving a few sprigs whole, put the leaves into a morter&pestel with some salt, pepper, zest from the lemon and 2 chopped chillis. Crush this up and add a dash of beer. Now take chicken and slide your hand in between skin and flesh at the base of the cavity, do this all around the chicken. Using your hand or a spoon stuff the contents of the morter&pestel between the flesh and chicken.

[​IMG]

Without cleaning the morter&pestel add in your spices, salt, pepper, and a dash of beer. Again crush this up and then brush it over the chicken until it is evenly coated.

Again without cleaning the morter&pestel mix about 1/3 of the beer can with lemon juice, soy sauce and Honey to taste. This will be your baste. Put it aside for later.

[​IMG]

Now get your chicken and cut off the knuckles from the legs and the last segment of wing. Also make several cuts into the thighs to help them cook through. Remove the top of the beer can, being careful not to cut yourself. Put the de-leaved thyme sprigs into the can along with four or five peeled cloves of garlic and the two remaining chillis chopped in half. Put this can on a large baking tray and carefully slide the chicken's cavity over the can. Now using some oven safe string tie the wings tightly against the body to stop them sagging. Do the same to the legs/thighs. Spoon some of the baste over the chicken.

[​IMG]

Get the intact springs of thyme and stuff a few in the neck of the chicken to semi-seal it, don't stuff it too tight as there needs to be room for steam to exit. Lay the rest beside the chicken on the baking dish.

[​IMG]

Next chop up your vegetables into a large bowl and mix through with olive oil, salt and pepper. Throw in the remaining cloves of garlic unpeeled as well. Put the vegetables around the chicken on top of the sprigs of thyme.

[​IMG]

Put this in a pre-heated 180 degree celcius oven. While it is cooking prepare the Beer Puddings. Cook it for an hour then turn the vegetables and baste the chicken by spooning the rest of the basting over it, feel free to baste the veges if you want as well. Put in the oven for another 30 minutes or so.

I used the juices from the bottom of the pan mixed with a drizzle of the liquid from the beer can and a teaspon of gravox ( yes I know cheating ) to thicken it a bit.

[​IMG]

Main : Beer Puddings

Ingredients:

* 1 cup plain flour
    * 1 cup beer
    * 1 egg

Method:

Mix ingredients with a fork until a smooth pancake mixture like consistency. Season well.

[​IMG]

When you baste the chicken above put a muffin tray in the oven with a tablespoon or so of oil in each dish. After 10 minutes remove this muffin tray and 1/3 fill each with batter. Put in the oven for the remaining 20 minutes or so.

[​IMG]

Finished Product :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dessert : Never Eat Yellow Snow

Ingredients:

* 1 cup sugar
    * 1 cup water
    * 3 cups beer (warm)
    * tablespoon of lime juice

Method:

Heat the sugar and water up on a low heat until it boils. Leave without stirring for about 7 minutes. Should be a nice thick syrupy consistency. Remove from the heat and slowly add the beer and lime juice stirring the whole time. Bring to boil again for another 4 or 5 minutes. Poor into large freezer proof dish and leave to cool for 30 minutes.

Once cooled, put the dish in the freezer taking it out every once and a while and running a fork through it, this should ensure a snow like powder is made, commonly called a granite.

[​IMG]

Once it is frozen take it out and make snowballs with the "snow". Put back in the freezer.

When ready for dessert remove from freezer and make a mound of snowballs and put in the middle of the table. Sprinkle loose granite over the mound and sprinkle with icing sugar.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2005
  2. Thinktank

Thinktank Member

WOW man, keen

3. Bionic

Bionic Member

:thumbup: Thumbs up all the way...
    3 course meal all around beer... Now to make a breakfast out of Beer!!! :D

4. kukulkan

kukulkan Member

Nicely done!

I've never managed to make a 3 course beer meal yet, but i will one day!

Last time I managed Cream of chicken & tripel soup with carbonades flamandes. We ended up just having chocolate cake for dessert though.

5. PostModern

PostModern Angry Brewer

Gentlemen, hats off!

6. MiGiSHu

MiGiSHu Member

Montreal, Canada ePenis Size: Whoppingly Large
    You win the prize!

7. SyN

SyN Member

Where's the beer soup?

8. kukulkan

kukulkan Member

9. OP
    OP
    username_taken

username_taken Member

Yeah Beer soup would be reasonably easy. Just make sure you use a little sugar to help overcome the bitterness of the beer. Pick a nice simply flavoured soup ( like the above cream of chicken ) and replace some/all of the water/stock with beer.

A Beer stew is equally easy, ask the irish :)

10. XAJIM

XAJIM Member

You are a machine my good man, that chicken looks sensational. :thumbup:

11. spankyofoz

spankyofoz Member

That's a might nice bit of work mate, I'm uber impressed.

Last time I did a beer can chicken I found a big variation from top to bottom of the chook, due to it standing up to cook. The top was close to burnt, but the legs were a little underdone. How did you get around this problem? Lower heat/longer roast?

12. OP
    OP
    username_taken

username_taken Member

To help the chicken cool all the way through, firstly use a fan forced oven, moves the air around helping keep the bottom as hot as the top. Secondly slice into the thighs a few times this helps the heat penetrate in and cooks the thighs better. I did around 1hr 30mins @ 180 degrees. You could drop the temp down to say 160 and cook for longer, might help. If you do, about 20 minutes before the end of cooking whack it right up to say 220 or so, will help brown the skin in 160 isn't enough to brown it nicely.

Also when Roasting a chicken I always chop off the knuckles of the legs and the last segment of wing. This is purely for looks.

13. Summer

Summer Member

lol
    that's really cool

14. Clem

Clem Member

That is an effort and a half..
    good stuff....

seen another thread on chicken beer thing and thought about it..

oneday i guess...

15. steveo2004

steveo2004 Member

there is also a differnt one called beer bum chicken when I get home I will post th epics of it.

What you do is drink about half a can of beer shove it up it's arse (sad but true) put it on the webber bbq cook it for about 1 to 2 hr or untill the juce is clear and then eat it. the meet is soo tender and nice

16. OP
    OP
    username_taken

username_taken Member

Errr that's exactly what this was ....

17. esprit

esprit Member

Nice choice of beer to use, too! :D