beginner - hammer ons

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by broccoli, Feb 18, 2018.

1. broccoli

broccoli Member

beginner, numpty, hopeless loser....

I can get noises out when doing a hammer on of an adjacent fret. I can get noises out doing a hammer on on the adjacent plus one fret by really plonking my finger on.

BUT when I try to do this hammer on in the actual song I'm supposed to be learning, it doesn't happen.
    Any help to get this bloody thing working?
    It goes (starting on the fifth fret, 2nd string) e,e (quavers),d,c,c (semi-quavers) d (dotted quaver) with the last note hammered on (or silent, in my case)

How do I get the "hammering" happening and noise? Any tips?

2. Boneman

Boneman Member

As a beginner, you may need to build up some more strength to hammer on cleanly. A picture of the passage would be helpful if you have the chance.

3. Madmaximus

Madmaximus Member

Hammer on with the end of your finger. Forget any set piece at first, just hammer on over and over. Thinner strings first (easier) then any note, any string.
    When your finger hurts, use another finger.
    After awhile the hammered on note will be as loud, if not louder than a plucked note.
    And think of it as hammering in a nail with the end of your finger, bring it down fast and with force. Bruce Lee, 1 inch punch the thing.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  4. Perko

Perko Member

Yeah most times I've seen newer players have trouble with this, it's a speed thing. If the time from when your finger touches the string, to when you fret it is too great, you'll effectively mute the note.

5. negatron

negatron Member

Hey Broc, + 1 for its a speed thing as Perko above has mentioned.

Out of curiosity, is this for electric or acoustic? and what gauge strings are you using?

6. OP
    OP
    broccoli

broccoli Member

Thanks guys. Negatron, it's electric and I can't remember what they've got on them, either 10 or 11 I think.
    The thing that frustrates me is that I can sound notes when just doing 2 of them (one sounded and one hammered on) but in the piece I lose it somehow. "(

7. samos

samos Member

Heh, I remember many years ago asking the same questions

Stick with it, you'll get better,

Hammer ons are easier on thinner gauge strings and electric guitars than acoustics.

Key things for me as a beginner were

- Practice and muscle memory
    - Strength and stamina
    - Callous formation, which makes hammer ons easier I found

8. OP
    OP
    broccoli

broccoli Member

Thanks, I was trying to explain to my teacher how it wasn't working, and it did work :D
    I suspect I was anticipating it would fail, so it did.

9. Fireblade

Fireblade Member

Practice trills. 1 fret apart and 2 frets apart. Have the guitar in your hands while you're watching TV, just doing that. It doesn't have to sound musical at first, just get the technique down, then put it to a tempo and move up and down a scale you know. This shit takes some time to get down when you're fresh at it, but one day it'll click into place and you'll be smiling like a smiley thing.

alexb618 likes this.
  10. alexb618

alexb618 Member

turn the amp up :leet:

11. OP
    OP
    broccoli

broccoli Member

I don't plug it in :D

12. Perko

Perko Member

If you can't feel the E power chord in your large intestine, you're doing it wrong. :lol:

13. OP
    OP
    broccoli

broccoli Member

I'm not doing it at all, I don't think we've done that one.

14. Radley

Radley Member

How high is the string action? Lower action makes it much easier to do hammer ons and tapping.

15. OP
    OP
    broccoli

broccoli Member

Thanks. Well, it's a bit higher on my "lesson guitar" than on my "good guitar", but I don't think that's it, I can generally make noise come out without too much trouble. I can do it just practising, it's when I'm trying to do it in the song that I "lose it". I think that part of it is that I'm not plucking the string enough to keep it going so that when I whack my finger down it makes the noise. Also I think I'm concentrating on what the notes are and not thinking to "whack it".... and maybe it's because of my hand position.

It's easier to think what you are doing wrong than fixing it, though :D I'll just keep practising. Like most of my "woe is me" posts, after a while it gets a bit easier/starts happening.

16. Perko

Perko Member

We've all been there, a lot of it comes with confidence and, as mentioned before, muscle memory. As you gain that experience, your playing becomes more fluid, and it comes naturally.

17. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Make sure you have no finger nail - then the very end of your finger is hammered, making sure on the opposite side of the neck your thumb is running bracing it.

Just practice it alone for a while until you get a nice clean hammer sound (forget timing and any other notes - just a good clean hammer on).

Once you get that then it is time to try a pull off, again very end of the finger with a nice clean pluck of the note and pull off (quickly lifting the finger off).

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Guitar/Hammer-ons,_Pull-offs,_and_Trills

18. OP
    OP
    broccoli

broccoli Member

I can do it alone, it's just when it's in the middle of this piece that it comes out dead.

19. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

My first hammer on was Wish You Were Here.......

I used to be able to do it note for note.........

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  20. OP
    OP
    broccoli

broccoli Member

Showing me clever dicks doesn't help :D (they always make it look so easy....)