1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

beginner/home file backup setup (2 bay NAS?)

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by Rod M, May 18, 2020.

1. Rod M

Rod M Member

is a 2bay NAS in Raid 1 still the most cost effective/best method of home backup? (photos and files)

or are there better solutions I should look at? (and I don't want to use the cloud)

My current backup system for my personnel files/photos at home is fairly poor and would like to have a more robust backup process,

this is what I am currently doing:
    • single 2TB HDD in main system,
    • periodically copy data from this disk to 3x USB HDD's drives, and these are saved in different locations (work locker, parents house, home safe)

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  2. Multiplexer

Multiplexer Member

2 bay drive NAS is as basic as it can get.

I have the DS718+ and I only use it for file server. In hindsight I should have got the cheaper model DS218+ because I am not using any DS718+ unique feature.

Rod M likes this.
  3. Renza

Renza Member

just remember that RAID is not a backup, it'll save you from a failing drive, but that's about it. You should still do your periodic backups to offline storage

Rod M likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Rod M

Rod M Member

yes I still intend to do offsite storage,

So this is the likely plan: (unless someone has a better idea)

• initial backup to a single 2TB SSD in main system,
    • files from this 2TB drive will get copied across to a 2Bay NAS ,
    • periodically dump data from the NAS to 3x USB HDD's drives, and these will be stored offsite in different locations (work locker, parents house, home safe)

5. Multiplexer

Multiplexer Member

So, SSD --> NAS --> USB HDD to parents. I find it troublesome to take the HDD to parent's place periodically.

I know many here suggest off site backup and I think is because many works in IT but in my opinion off site backup is a corporate solution. I think a mirror NAS is sufficient for home use unless the personal data is so critical that you cannot risk break-in theft or fire.

For my home backup solution, I dont use off site backup but I have 2 FreeNAS file servers where the data is replicated by rsync. So I am protected by RAID and data redundancy. When I travel I would take one of the file server to my sister's place to reduce the risk of data lost from theft. It is an expensive solution but better than periodically taking a copy of the data to parents.

Another solution that cross my mind is to have a file server at home and another file server at sister home. Connect the 2 home by VPN tunnel and use rsync between 2 site. Never got around to implementing because I dont want to trouble my sister.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    Rod M likes this.
  6. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

RAID1 is the least cost efficient. You are better off just keeping 2 separate copies of your files on removable drives.

Rod M likes this.
  7. hairy

hairy Member

sounds like a great start.
    multiple copies in multiple locations is the idea.
    I have a nas running raid6 with my media on it and a copy of my photo's (photo's are the most important thing to me).
    I also keep a copy on my game rig, in my man cave/shed and one cold drive in another location.
    my photo's hardly grow now days but I don't want to loose them.
    I used to transfer my photo's to my mums machine and backup hers to mine but have been slack lately.

Rod M likes this.
  8. maldotcom2

maldotcom2 Member

It'll work. I started with that setup.

Now I'm running a 4 disk raid10 as storage/working directory. Nightly encrypted backup to cloud, plus a physical offsite backup (also encrypted).

Just try to think of all the scenarios where your data can be destroyed/lost, and mitigate as best you can.

Rod M likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    Rod M

Rod M Member

10. Renza

Renza Member

I have a WD My cloud ex2 2 bay thats running Synology, has 2x3tb drives that I'm looking to offload

They are perfectly fine as long as you don't have desires to run extra apps like plex on them.

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  11. mrwellzi

mrwellzi Member

If you are simply using it as a means to backup your files and not use a nas to it's full potential (i.e. app/plex server, remote access, etc.) then I'd almost recommend you just create a mirror'd array (RAID1) in your PC.

At least, that would be the cheapest to achieve redundancy at home.

You could argue that it's not a 'backup' per se but it does save you from a failing drive and can prompt you to take a delta backup in the event the second drive is on the brink of failure.

the saving of files to external hard drives and storing them at different locations is definitely the best means of backing up.

Personally I have a Synology 8 Bay in SHR-2. My backup component (family photos, documents, etc.) are done through the cloud to my work OneDrive. You could argue "Your work account! What?" but I am the tenant administrator so I know what goes on.

Rod M likes this.
  12. maldotcom2

maldotcom2 Member

The trouble with that is you're regularly powering up/down spinning disks, which is known to be a leading cause of failure. It also means powering up the main PC to access the data from another device.

Rod M likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    Rod M

Rod M Member

I have picked up a WD 2bay NAS from a forum member,

should arrive soon, will setup and see how it goes,

14. karun

karun Member

Might be worth getting a cheap NAS at the parents for backup purposes. Thats what I ended up doing and just use Synology HyperBackup through a VPN.
    Not everything is backuped there, just the important things like Photos, etc.

15. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

How did you go? I've just nabbed a synology nas recently also and looking at automatic regular backups. Haven't really founds anything that suits that just copies raw files and is not packaged up in some sort of proprietary file type.

16. karun

karun Member

Synology lets you synchronise files, which will just copy the files, but you wont have any features like versioning and deduplication.

17. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Which package?