Berlin - a jetlagged adventure

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by Azrael, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Azrael

Azrael Member

A few from our first day in Berlin. Editing on my nopics Air, which doesn't have a colour calibrated screen, and I'm jet lagged, so i might wake up int he morning and think that the basic crop/process which I've done is crap. Meh

01 - Berlin TV Tower
    [​IMG]

02 - Berlin Wall
    [​IMG]

03 - Jewish Holocaust Memorial
    [​IMG]

04 - Jewish Holocaust Memorial
    [​IMG]

05 - Mercedes SLS GT3 in the showroom
    [​IMG]

06 - Mercedes in shoroom
    [​IMG]

07 - Objects of worship (Cathedral and TV tower)
    [​IMG]

08 - Catholic Cathedral
    [​IMG]

09 - Paying respects
    [​IMG]

10 - Clocktower
    [​IMG]

11 - Sunset
    [​IMG]

Considering cloning out the crane in the sunset photo, but at the same time its certainly a big part of what Berlin is at the moment. There is construction absolutely everywhere.
    The light was middling today, the half hour or so when i was at the cathedral it was nice, but other than that it was either high in the sky or grey and overcast. Plus they have setup a massive temporary park/entertainment centre around Brandenburg Tor for the Euro2012 stuff, so its hard to get photos there atm :(
    My feeling for the day was this overwhelming sense of gothic brooding, and so thats probably how I've subconsciously interpreted the processing, looking back. Will see what i think int he morning.

Feedback RE: levels and saturation would be good from calibrated monitors.

2. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

All look to have exposure not quite right, if your working uncalibrated push until clipping then dial back a bit.

nice shots largely, processing letting you down, but given the circumstances i'd call it a win.

3. BeastHouse

BeastHouse Member

Number 11's sky is far too blown out for me. You should get rid of the crane, then compare the two, might be nice to have both versions.

Berlin is one place I haven't been in Germany, but it certainly does have a German feel to it that I know from the rest of the country I have seen. Well done, hope you enjoyed your trip!

4. OP
    OP
    Azrael

Azrael Member

So i went back to these today and were pretty dissatisfied. Went through and did some processing changes but the inter webs here is being pathetic (at the hotel) so its pretty hard to upload them in bulk. Ive re-uploaded picture 11, and added a few more from today.

11 Redux, i think this is better
    [​IMG]

Day 2

12 Pergamon statuette:
    [​IMG]

13 Greek Mythology Family tree
    [​IMG]

14 Pergamon Museum
    [​IMG]

15 Brandenburg Tor
    [​IMG]

16 THE Wall
    [​IMG]

17 Das Amerikanischen Sektor
    [​IMG]

Trying for a minimalist older type of film processing for the last two.

Heading out of Berlin tomorrow, driving towards Erfurt

5. mmBax

mmBax Member

13 is awesome, Greek Mythology Family Tree.

Love how McDonalds is just inside the American Sector as well.

Awesome pics, will be keeping an eye on the rest.

6. deepspring

deepspring Member

Azrael,

Awesome shots mate. Color and saturation are perfect on my monitor (calibrated with a Spyder4Express).

7. BeastHouse

BeastHouse Member

Much better!

8. OP
    OP
    Azrael

Azrael Member

Hehe yeah, that one did tickle my fancy, and the Greek Mythology boggles. I took about 20 pictures up close of them to try and make head and tails of some parts.

I have about another 200 pictures from the Pergamon museum, which was absolutely amazing. Especially for a history nut like me.

Cool, good to know. Ill keep going like that.

Expect more tomorrow. We have been through Eisleben, Eisenach, Wittenburg, Erfurt, Wartburg and now in Adenau....

9. karun

karun Member

I think for the Brandenburger Tor, its better when the Hyundai Fan Park is not in the background, as this blocks out a lot of the view.

10. richard0296

richard0296 Member

god this makes me miss berlin.

pls take me back somebody :(

11. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Lovely set of pictures. I particularly like 3 for some reason. Perhaps the minimalism.

12. gwills

gwills Member

Pics of the nopics not loading ?

Great shots though !

13. OP
    OP
    Azrael

Azrael Member

When you are doing travel photography you don't particularly get a choice in when they have big football tournaments on, and when they set up screens and scaffolding around major photographic sites.
    You have to either work around it, or work with it.

Originally the Brandenburger Tor was where the public gathered to see the victorious armies returning home. Now its where the public gather to see.... the victorious (? i havnt seen many games) armies abroad....

[​IMG]

Sometimes social commentary using photos tickles my fancy. As per the "Two objects of worship", and the Holocaust Memorial photos above...

Yeah, glimpsing down there made my heart skip a beat. Especially with the general gloominess of the memorial, and the holocaust history, that little tuft of green at the end of the monotony....