"Bert" X99, 6850K Full Custom loop, 980Ti-L, Fractal Define R6 - Singularity Protium/Mayhems Pastel

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by StreekG, Aug 5, 2017.

1. StreekG

StreekG Member

Hi guys,

I am really at a loss of what to call my PC since upgrading from the Assassin, i just have nothing so i named it after my Greyhound.

Retired my x58 build a few weeks ago after 6 years, see below thread with that one. (Intel 990x, G1 Assassin, custom loop) I told myself with every new enthusiast generation that i would upgrade, i only upgraded finally because X99 was now coming to an end and stuff was being sold cheaper to clear way for X299.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1610409/...tel-990x-g1-assassin-gtx-970-xtreme-custom-wc

Specs:
    NZXT H630 with window panel from Phantom 630, sealed the case window with clear silicon and plan to add sound deadening foam around it
    MSI X99 Carbon Pro motherboard
    Intel 6850K 6 core Broadwell-E
    Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) 2666 DDR4
    MSI GTX 980 TI Lightning
    Seasonic 1050W platinum PSU
    Samsung EVO 500GB SSD
    Cablemod Sleeved PSU replacement cables
    NZXT Hue+ RGB lighting
    Custom loop with EK Supremacy EVO block, 12mm hard tubing and many fittings, mostly EK. A slight case mod for the bay res tubing

Anyway here are the pics so far

Decided to with Liquid metal TIM for this one

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You can see that the lowest pipe run that goes to the drain port is angled a little, i can fix this by putting another extender where the square EK T-splitter is, but that's just starting to get silly there.
    [​IMG]

As you might see, i had to put an extender with a couple of EK HDC on both ends to join the longest pipe run as a pack of tubing simply isn't long enough to reach the reservoir
    [​IMG]

This radiator position and x99 board design meant that i needed to do some fitting work to get the tubing around the RAM. So i have a XSPC rotary 90 degree, a 20mm rotary extender, and another XPSC 90 degree fitting with an EK HDC at the end
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some optical bay cutting and smoothing for hard tubing to follow through, and some crazy EK Extender work including drain port. There is a 50mm extender, followed by a 20mm rotary extender, then a EK t-spliiter, another 20mm extender followed by the ball valve drain port
    [​IMG]

2. OP
    OP
    StreekG

StreekG Member

This is when i finished the assembly! Very happy with the result.

Been runinng X58 for so long, just seeing a completely different BIOS, is really cool!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So i managed to squeeze out some quick benches before taking apart my X58 and also did some new ones with the new rig
    The first two benches are with a stock 990X, the 3rd bench in Aida64 (green) was running my 990X at its OC'd 4.5ghz which was stable for the whole ownership of that rig.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was surprised to see that my 990x, top of the range 6 core processor overclocked to 4.5ghz was bottlenecking the 980TI Lightning card, which you can see in the results.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  3. OP
    OP
    StreekG

StreekG Member

Complete. I also won a Netgear Nighthawk X10 router from Scorptec just over a week ago, so that's there too. Not bad at all :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

Nice man... you putting the card under water?

5. OP
    OP
    StreekG

StreekG Member

I don't think there are any Lightning waterblocks for the 980TI.
    Wasn't the plan though. I think my next plan is to change the NZXT H630 for a new case without any optical drive bays, so i can use a tube reservoir. I might think about a GPU loop after that.

6. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

Fair call - yeah, you might be able to find one second hand if you are lucky.

And yes, a tube res will really help improve your tube runs :thumbup:

7. OP
    OP
    StreekG

StreekG Member

Oh nah i mean i don't think a waterblock actually exists for this card. I've looked into it.

8. thecondor

thecondor Member

Looks great man, love that case.

How come you didn't go the 8 core over 6?

9. OP
    OP
    StreekG

StreekG Member

I almost bought a second hand 8 core 6900K for $800 on ebay, but being a CPU i prefer a new one and they were $1,200 new. I decided i didn't want to spend the extra money as i got some X99 stuff on clearance due to X299, i want to go all out for my next build, just like i did with my X58, everything was top end.
    I figured it's a good enough transition for now, after all it's still a 6 core, but 4 generations newer, it was interesting for me to do benches and compare the performance of old 6 core vs new 6 core.

10. OP
    OP
    StreekG

StreekG Member

Just finished my new watercooling loop in my new Fractal Design Define R6 TG. Got a Bitspower block for the 980TI Lightning and used Mayhems Pastel Green.
    Full loop specs:
    Singularity Protium 200mm tube res
    Singularity Protium Pump top
    Singularity Protium Pump cover
    EK PE360 Reservoir
    EK D5 PWM Pump
    Noctua NF-P12 IPPC 2000RPM fans
    Combination of EK HDC and Phanteks Glacier 90 degree fittings.
    Mayhems Pastel Green with Distilled Water

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2018
    Tazor likes this.
  11. Tazor

Tazor Member

That looks sensational mate, the tube runs are beautifully done and I like the use of 90 degree fittings to avoid issues with ugly over bent tubes. The GPU to CPU is a particular highlight.

Would you consider getting cables with a more acid green tone to match the coolant?
    Something like these?

Regardless, well done!

12. slamaa

slamaa Member

Nice work mate, what’s it like working with the hard tubing.

13. OP
    OP
    StreekG

StreekG Member

Thanks man! It's my third time now and have gotten much more comfortable with it, takes a bit of time but i love it compared to soft tubing.

Hey thanks man, appreciate it. Yeah i wanted to split the tube runs up a bit and also i'm not good and doing too many bends to the one piece of tube, so the 90s solved that for me.
    I actually have done custom cables since, i made my own with www.ensourced.net and super happy with the quality and the colours, got the green exactly to match my coolant. See below :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    mad_mic3 likes this.
  14. Tazor

Tazor Member

See that instantly looks a million times better, love it!

That's actually a cool site, I like the tiny cables that you add extensions to, cool idea.