Best 120mm fans for RS360

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by gtarmanrob, Nov 19, 2008.

1. gtarmanrob

gtarmanrob Member

hey guys.

i know my question is about air cooling, but its relating to my water setup so sorry if this is still in the wrong section.

basically im half way through getting my new water setup, consisting mostly of XSPC parts.

my radiator is the RS360 which will go nicely on the back of my Armour case. i now need to decide what fans are best to put on the radiator. the 360 obviously refers to the 360mm of space for 3 x 120mm fans..

i was gonna get 3 Noctua SF-12s for $25 each from the local shop, but they dont appear to be speed controlled, and their max RPM is 1200. is that enough?

i was otherwise considering the ThermalTake Smart Case Fan II which will match my case.

or would Antec be a good option also?

to help in my decision, linked HERE is a local shop with the most range in fans. the Noctuas arnt there but i can get them elsewhere.

cheers in advance.

2. OhFoRkMe

OhFoRkMe Member

3. Trog Star

Trog Star Member

4. Heatpipe

Heatpipe Member

Peach hat

The yate loons are fantastic for good quality quiet cooling, and at 12 each you can go wrong

http://tinyurl.com/5k6sjt <--- linky linky!

5. OP
    OP
    gtarmanrob

gtarmanrob Member

yeah i saw those Yate ones but with shipping, the price will end up evening out. shipping costs more than one of those fans on top, so its like im paying for 4.

i think im gonna go with the coolermaster ones.

so you guys dont rekon the Noctua's or TT though? or just too expensive.

6. Heatpipe

Heatpipe Member

7. Trog Star

Trog Star Member

GAMMODS also uses aus post so shipping wont be that expensive.

but it's your cooling

8. mrmas

mrmas Member

You can get the Noctua NF-P12 which comes with 2 additional resister extensions that allows you run the fan at 1300/1100/900. Got mine from pccasegear ~$27ea I have them running at 1300 at the mo and they are pretty darn quiet. :thumbup:

9. OP
    OP
    gtarmanrob

gtarmanrob Member

haha yeah GAMMODS is where i got half my water setup from, but at the time i forgot about the extra fans for the radiator.

i actually got their site mixed up with another in terms of shipping.

im from Perth, and can get 3 x Yate Loon D12SM's shipped for $50.20.

sounds good enough, especially if you all seem to swear by those. so thats the way to go you all rekon?

10. VenomX-87

VenomX-87 Member

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  11. OP
    OP
    gtarmanrob

gtarmanrob Member

yeah they look good too.

might be the way i go actually, as those CFM results, if you are correct, seem better thant he Yate Loons, and i dont have to pay shipping as Austin Computers are close by.

12. VenomX-87

VenomX-87 Member

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  13. OP
    OP
    gtarmanrob

gtarmanrob Member

awesome, cheers mate.

but i have picked a winner. CoolerMaster Long Life LED Fan.

Manufacturer Link

Where I'm Getting It

only $3 more expensive for each fan, and imo they look way better. and they are putting out pretty much 70CFM according to Cooler Master themselves.

14. Heatpipe

Heatpipe Member

You have picked what you think is a winner. There is no way a fan(12cm) that pushes 74CFM can do 19 dB-A

15. OP
    OP
    gtarmanrob

gtarmanrob Member

it says 69 CFM not 74.

and anyway, im willing to bet the 19dB is an idle or low speed output, not full speed ouput.

the sound doesnt bother me anyway, they look really good and have decent airflow. and its cheaper and easier for me to do it this way rather than ship stuff across the country.

Cooler Master arnt exactly a terrible brand either.

16. Hennels

Hennels Member

There was a discussion on those fans abuot a month or two ago.

Apparently at that speed its more like double the DBA

17. illusionist2002

illusionist2002 Member

i dont know what dba they are , but ive bought 1 of these coolermasters from pc case gear but the higher cfm version and its really quiet compared to the rest of my system

i have a couple Tt LED case fan2's on my radiator and even at minimum speed they are louder than this coolermaster

i might get a couple more to put on may rad

EDIT: lookin at the web page and the pccasegear product listing they've got the same 19dba and 2000 rpm for both models yet one is rated for 70cfm and other is 90? obviously something wrong there, either way its a good cfm at a low noise level

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  18. Waldo

Waldo Member

Personally I found the Yate Loons a bit over rated. Sure, there's very little 'woosh noise' but there's light bearing chatter which is probably more annoying. Let me put it this way; I've compared the Lian Li 12cm fans that come with the PC-A77 case back to back on various voltages with the Yate Loons and Noctua NF-P12 fans and for the money I'm not going to upgrade the Lian Li case fans. The Yate Loons have more bearing noise but comparable 'woosh' noise to the Lian Li's. The Noctua fans come with nice bonuses like the rubber mounts and voltage resistors but aren't worth the money over Lian Li fans.
    Having said that, they are worth the money over Yate Loon's IMO. D12SL-12 is the model of Yate Loon I'm drawing comparisons too...
    Of course, noise can be subjective, but that's just my 2 cents.

19. OP
    OP
    gtarmanrob

gtarmanrob Member

yeah i see that, one model is Long Life the other is the Silent model. yet they both have Long Life Sleeves. they look exact same though. i dunno.

and PCCG are claiming 19dBA @ 90CFM. so unless they are just assuming based on Cooler Masters stats, and not taking into consideration that noise level could be at lowest RPM, i'd say they are definitely a win.

even if it was doubled, its 38dBA, most other fans are like 35 or so and not @ 2000rpm. so its still reasonable. plus its not really an issue for me anyway.

EDIT:

ok after research i've made my decision, its the Cooler Master. so now, for radiator cooling, bearing in mind there will be 3x 120mm fans going, is it worth getting the newer 90CFM output fan over the 70CFM output one? will the different be worth it for cooling on a radiator?

they are from PCCG, and with Express Air Freight (only an extra $3 so why not)

70CFM = $63 total shipped for 3

90CFM = $76.50 total shipped for 3.

is the extra $13.50 gonna be worth it, or even noticeable?

20. Power47

Power47 Member