Best adhesive to join metals?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by aiKzo6, Aug 20, 2006.

1. aiKzo6

aiKzo6 Member

I'm currently modding my soprano and i was wondering what would be best to bond metals together so i wouldnt need to rivert L brackets. Would liquid nails work alright?

Cheers, aiKz

2. silenthunter

silenthunter Member

araldite, strong as steel

3. Stygian Shane

Stygian Shane Member

There's an epoxy called Weld-it, which is advertised to be as strong as a good steel weld. Many people I know who've used this before agree. In any case... check out your local hardware store and see what they have to say.

4. OP
    OP
    aiKzo6

aiKzo6 Member

Yeah i might go around sometime this week. So with most of this stuff it comes in a tube and you sqeeze and hold?

I work at Autobarn and i've gone through half the shit we have there, all i could find was metal based silicons and stuff like that.

Also, what should i used to cut the row of 3.5" bays in half to turn it 90 degrees to be able to have a floppy drive in the top half in the normal position, and a harddrive in the bottom of the bays facing the side panel.

Cheers

EDIT: Just tried to proof read that and i realised the last bit is not easy to understand at all. Sorry :lol:

5. Goth

Goth Grumpy Member

A metal-filled epoxy such as Liquid Weld or whatever it's called.

6. minushuman

minushuman Member

It's already been said a million times but, Liquid Weld :thumbup:

7. crazylittleman

crazylittleman Member

I've been using araldite for my current mod, the joins are stronger then the aluminium inbetween them.

8. blakeyboysmith

blakeyboysmith Member

epoxy is the way to go...(araldite)wear golves because you can develop accute sensitisation (read: bad)

araldite type glue should do the job or one of those liquid weld type products.
    chemi-weld i think is another... or maybe thats the radiator mix but anyway.

9. seb

seb Member

10. Ze.

Ze. Member

It's the radiator mix and its evil stuff (far too often used for quick fixes to flog a fucked motor)

11. OP
    OP
    aiKzo6

aiKzo6 Member

THanks a heap..ill go look for liquid weld or araldite whenever i can. Ill post to say how it goes. Cheers guys..

12. OP
    OP
    aiKzo6

aiKzo6 Member

Sorry to revive this topic, but i managed to get some araldite today, so i started modding. Is it okay to snip my way through the 3.5" bays in between the floppy drive bays and the hdd bays, rotate the bottom half 90 degrees, and araldite it together? Because the main idea i have is to have the harddrives facing the side panel like some more expensive cases. Cheers, aiKs..

13. crazylittleman

crazylittleman Member

You might run into problems with not having enough contact area to glue, even with araldite you still need a decent around of flat face to face contact area.

14. Kiba

Kiba RIP Lest we forget!

ahh epoxy, is there anything it cant do ??

15. Adeptus

Adeptus Member

I'm not familiar with the case, so don't know if this is possible, but...
    Can you mount the two halves upside down?
    So the "top" is underneath the FDD, glued to the "bottom" above the HDDs, giving more surface area for bonding...
    not sure I've explained that well... let's try some dodgy ASCII art :Pirate:
    Code:
    <cut end>

|     |
    | FDD |
    |_____|
     _____   <-- glue here
    |     |
    | HDD |
    |     |

<cut end>

Last edited: Aug 24, 2006
  16. OP
    OP
    aiKzo6

aiKzo6 Member

Yeah..i ran into problems. haha. I thought about doing what you sed, but then i still have the issue of contact area between the top and bottom mounts. So i just did what i originally planned to, but i put a piece of metal sheet in between. Dont think it did much though. i might need to cover the edges with eopxy to try to 'silicone' it together at the edge.