Best application for virtual Windows 7/10 desktop

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by cal0006, May 11, 2017.

1. cal0006

cal0006 Member

Just curious as to what people are finding the best option for running a virtual PC on their Mac are. I've got a 2013 MacBook Air, going to put anWindows 7 or 10 virtual machine on it.

I'm tossing up whether I go with a bootcamp setup (this is dependant on whether the Mac can boot from an SD card?) or VMware or Virtual PC? Perhaps maybe parallels. Preferably a free option.

What's everyones verdict?

2. power

power Member

Yeah go free, VirtualBox is good too.

shit sorry, just realised mac - um parallels is the best in mac land afaik.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  3. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

4. power

power Member

5. 605jimmy

605jimmy Member

I have used both and although Parallels isn't free I consider it well worth the investment if you intend to use multiple OS's.

karnophage likes this.
  6. ~Coxy

~Coxy Member

Nobody else mentioned it but while the Mac hardware can boot from a SD card, the Windows software cannot be.

Parallels is OK but is basically a yearly subscription.

VMWare is good but is basically deprecated now. Too bad.

7. zoki_007

zoki_007 Member

Where did you see this?

8. ~Coxy

~Coxy Member

I meant that they don't seem to be updating/improving their product any more.
    It's still for sale as far as I can see.

9. alexc

alexc Member

If you are cool with a less than awesome interface. Then virtual box works great. No problems.

If you want totally hassle free and nice UI then parrallels is a quality product.

10. [KEi]SoVeReIgN

[KEi]SoVeReIgN Member

Virtual Box isn't on the same level as Parallels/Fusion when it comes to performance, but it is free.

My preferred setup - Bootcamp partition that you can use natively, but also launch using Parallels/Fusion in OS X when required. It's the best of both worlds.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
  11. Lou

Lou Member

Parallels for work (MBP 15" 2017) and home (MBP 15" 2012). Works great, rock solid for the last 5-years, since version 8.

12. telefragd

telefragd Member

Virtualbox is handy if you want basic VM features. I use it for development work mostly.

If you want the ability to use your Bootcamp partition in a VM, then get Parallels. I don't have much of a need for a VM on my MacBook Pro anymore, but it was definitely handy to be able to boot natively with Bootcamp if I chose to (handy for games) and be able to access the same Windows partition within a VM in macOS with Parallels.

It is possible to use Bootcamp on an external drive, but it's not officially supported and can be a little convoluted to set up.

https://apple.stackexchange.com/que...oot-camp-with-windows-10-from-an-external-hdd

13. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

As has been said, if it's for one off sort of stuff, then Virtual Box is fine. If it's something you want to actually use all the time, Parallels is well worth the investment.

Another alternative, depending on what your needs are, is a small dedicated Windows box sitting somewhere you can connect to via Remote Desktop. If you don't need physical access it can be handy to have a box running all the time too :D For half my current use, my NAS can run VM's so I just log into the web interface, fire up the one I want then remote into that. It also means I can just leave it running and turn the Mac off. I'm usually on the LAN anyway so speed isn't a concern either. I do still use Parallels for stuff I need with me, but that is actually getting less and less often.

14. epo299

epo299 Member

go fusion solid as a rock

15. Scootre

Scootre Member

Yeah I'm sure the OP has waited 11 months to get that advice. :)

Anyway, +1 to Fusion for anyone else landing here.