Best burgers in Melbourne

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by Amfibius, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Diode

Diode Member

You know that's twice you've complained about burgers being too small. :p

I would agree if you're reasonably hungry the classic without fries will leave you a little hungry. I'm yet to try it as a double. It's the first I've heard any complaints about the meat, most in our work place has converted to Betty's because the meat quality is usually pretty good compared to other places, but perhaps yours was a little too underdone?

I don't think Betty's is the most creative of burger places, but I think they get the basics done well. As I say, it's kind of like In & Out Burger, nothing fancy but people love the freshness and its simple taste.

2. Supplanter

Supplanter Member

I am used to the serving size of Cafe 51/Burger Love, I guess.

3. scips

scips Member

Had a doubledragon from 8-bit last night, kinda disappointed

Literally just like a bigger maccas burger :/

6/10 at best

4. QuakeDude

QuakeDude ooooh weeee ooooh

I've been back to The Burger Project at Chaddy a couple of times now - I think they're my favorite by far. Its been a consistent experience, and the Double is my new favorite - double the meat and very little else. With a great tasting pattie thats exactly what I want out of a great burger :p

5. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

has anyone tried that burger place in the new food court area, the one that's pretty close to Target. Think they're next to a Vietnamese restaurant

6. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

If you don't like pink patties, you shouldn't be in this thread :Pirate:

7. Bastard Child

Bastard Child RIP

Bland Andrew's Burgers, running since 1936 iirc, have opened another store on Franklin st in the city.

8. Supplanter

Supplanter Member

Royal Stacks? Tried it on the weekend. Ordered the 'Prince Harry'. It was surprisingly small (sorry Diode) and tasteless, although, looking back at the menu I think they got my order wrong and gave me a single stack instead. The cheese was plastic. The sauce was watery and dripped everywhere.

A few weeks ago I went to Burger Business in Footscray. I tried the chili burger. Best burger I have tried in a long time. Nice size, patty was a little pink on the inside and crispy around the edges. This burger also oozed sauce out of the bottom, but I was happy to soak it up with the last bit of burger bun. I'll be going back there at some point.

9. Diode

Diode Member

lol... oh I see the small size. :lol:

I'm not a big fan of Royal Stacks either. I think I had the Prince Harry and I thought the flavour was good but ultimately it's just a bit expensive as it's a bit small. Probably smaller than Betty's and then the chips are nothing special.

10. doug81

doug81 Member

Hello Sam on Chapel St is way up my list for awesome burgers, and home to one of my all-time faves! Dangerously close to home...

The Mississippi is an awesome fried chicken burger and a previous favourite, but has been dethroned by the Southern Fried Kahuna minus cheese. The fried chicken is so juicy and crispy, and the balance of the pineapple salsa, BBQ sauce & bacon works so damn well.

The chips are great (both potato & sweet potato are really good), and the rest of their burgers are pretty damn awesome too. But I can't go past the Kahuna. I was happy with Brother Burger & Mr Burger further down Chapel, and when I first went to Hello Sam it was average at best, but for the past year or so it's been amazingly good - worth a stop (or UberEats...)

11. damo2002

damo2002 Member

Just did a quick search in this thread for most recent reviews on the Merrywell, given that I remembered it getting some pretty rave reviews in the past, and I seem to be beating a dead horse in saying this - but was pretty disappointed after trying it today.

Burger was way too crowded with sauces, became almost impossible to handle half way through.. really, really sloppy. Flavours were OK, but nothing to write home about. The smokey bbq sauce was nice though.

And $25.00 for a double Merrywell and bottle of water? Way too expensive for the price.

Shame given all the good things I'd heard, guess I missed the boat on this one though!

12. Diode

Diode Member

The Merrywell was able to capture some positive light early in the burger craze but it's high price has remained and competition is stiffer than ever. Maybe they have even dropped quality and got a bit lazy (I have not been in some time). If you're at Crown and in need of a burger then sure give it a go, but you'd be hard pressed to make the journey there when there are other cheaper and better options around.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  13. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

http://www.onlymelbourne.com.au/melbourne-burger-invitational#.WOQurmmGOUk

14. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

Went to Cool Bean Kitchen on the weekend. Felt like chicken so had the Sriracha southern fried burger. Was pretty yummy, dripping with sauce, chicken tasted fresh and has a nice crunchy coating. I look forward to going back for a beef burger.

15. Bastard Child

Bastard Child RIP

Pics or it didn't happen

16. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

[​IMG]

17. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

Let me know when you are going next, and we can "meat" up!

18. ~Spyne~

~Spyne~ Member

CBK is currently my fave place and I'm way out west (Ballarat) so it's a big hike to get there.
    Going to be trying Curator's Collective this weekend with a mate. The Golden Gaytime shake may well be the end of me :D
    Anyone been?

19. ~Spyne~

~Spyne~ Member

Well that was a fail. Got into Curator's Collective, handed our menus and then told that they don't have beef patties or veg patties. So buddy and I left and headed to Dribbles, in Essendon. Had a pretty darn good Shaq Stack and Cheese & Bacon fries.

20. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

Recently went to Juanita's Peaches in Brunswick and had their double cheeseburger and fried chicken. Both were pretty damned good. Highly recommend it