Best burgers in Melbourne

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by Amfibius, Feb 20, 2012.

1. AERO

AERO Member

is it definitely good? ill try it out when down in melb next :)

2. jpw007

jpw007 Member

There is a Flame 400 in Forest Hill Chase as well of all places. I had the chicken burger once, it was quite nice but effin huge.

3. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

4. ~Spyne~

~Spyne~ Member

No idea if they are "definitely" good...if you re-read my post I mention that I've not been there.

Any of you guys have a burger place you wish would do better?
    In Ballarat, we've got this place called Griffin Burger. Now, they're not bad, but I just want them to be better.
    I love their customer service, their social media presence/marketing, their enthusiasm to create new burgers but everything I've had there has only been decent/good. Nothing mind-blowing and nothing that compares to say, Dribbles, GTPT or CBK.
    I want to give them feedback, but I don't want to risk sounding like a d!ck.

They've got 17 beef, 7 chicken, 3 vegan and 3 vegetarian burgers on the menu!!! Plus a weekly special. It's nearly impossible to decide what to have because of the huge list of choices.
    I'd much rather see maybe 6-8 beef, 4 chicken and maybe 4 vegetarian that can easily be made vegan (remove cheese/dairy). Then (as they already do) have a list of add-ons so you customise as you want.
    Also, they use baby spinach leaves instead of lettuce, generic cheese slices that don't really melt at all and their beef patties could definitely be improved.
    The problem is, it obviously works for them - they are loved by nearly everyone in town, always busy and have just moved to a much larger store.

5. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Custom burgers near Preston.

Rubberband likes this.
  6. Rubberband

Rubberband Member

7. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

15 min drive for me during busy lunch hours as I work in Preston. Parking will be a bitch during the day because the joint is on a busy tram street.

8. Supplanter

Supplanter Member

Hide & Seek fish and Chippery in Tullamarine.
    I tried this place at random because it was convenient at the time. I ordered the Fried Chick.

[​IMG]

Wow.

The chicken was crunchy and moist, but not oily, and the sauce oozed everywhere. The only let down were the chips, which were the standard, yellow take away fare. I'll need to find an excuse to be in the area during lunchtime again so I can try one of their wagyu beef burgers.

doug81 likes this.
  9. darknebula

darknebula Member

I feel that way about Burgled, they have potential but they are only just 'good' and when CBK is 10mins away there is no reason to bother. In their favour they have better chips than CBK :)

~Spyne~ likes this.
  10. TehCamel

TehCamel Member

Carls Jnr. Williams Landing. I shall go there then.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    Kommandant33 likes this.
  11. Supplanter

Supplanter Member

I went to Cool Beans this week, based on the recommendations here. I had the C Triple B. It was a sloppy, greasy mess. The onion rings were good, but. I'll have to give them another chance.

12. TehCamel

TehCamel Member

Click to view full size!

Park Hotel.
    I misread the sign.. I thought it said "double fried chicken, maple bacon, maple mayonaise, waffle, bun"
    It actually said "waffle bun"
    It was such a good idea. But such a bad idea. It actually tasted totally awesome. It was just a huge amount of food. So much so, I didn't even eat the chips.

I think it was a special though, so don't go there every day expcting it

neRok likes this.
  13. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

Not really burger related, but has anyone been to/heard of "For Heaven's Steak" in Clayton? Apparently it's meant to have "italian style steak sandwiches" which are meant to be quite good

14. Supplanter

Supplanter Member

They are also building one in Cranbourne.

guy.incogneto likes this.
  15. PrawnBoy

PrawnBoy Member

It's actually inside Greenzy plaza. I might go there tonight on the way home and get a burger and try it.

16. ~Spyne~

~Spyne~ Member

How did it go? I'm likely to be in the Greensborough area this coming weekend while the wife is at a bridal shower, so will need somewhere to escape to for lunch...

17. PrawnBoy

PrawnBoy Member

Didn't end up going lol. I will try to one night this week. I have some mates coming for dinner thursday night, maybe we'll go there!

18. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

Tried Carl's Jr.

Massively, massively disappointed.. It might be new, and "American" and a well known brand, so people are expecting great things.
    But everything about their burgers is generic and fast food style.

The ones I had tasted the same, if not worse than Hungry Jacks. The chips are terrible, and they use the American style of leaving the skin on, yuk. The only flavour they seem to know to add to food is salt.

The quality of good burger joints available these days has set a high bar, one which even Macca's and HJ's have tried to elevate to. But Carl's Jr is way below this level of expectation.
    I'd be surprised if they last a year after the hype of being a new burger shop starts to die down.

19. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

I find HJ's 'Grill Master' series are a reasonable and meaningful benchmark and I think they are a great burger for a mass produced job.

guy.incogneto likes this.
  20. ~Spyne~

~Spyne~ Member

Had YOMG on the weekend (Fountain Gate store).
    Not the best burger I've had, but the beef patty was good - wasn't greasy but had that nice 'grill' flavour to it. Not dense either, think old-school fish shop burger patty.
    Gave up with half the fries uneaten - they had an overload of seasoning on them, very reminiscent of Burger Rings seasoning.

The Muffler;

Click to view full size!