Best Burgers (including eats) around Brisbane

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by Bold Eagle, Nov 21, 2015.

1. OP
    OP
    Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

If you want to try something quite different from mainstream there is a "very interesting" Indonesian Restaurant in Indooroopilly (completely different from any other Asian restaurant I have been to) called Sendok Garpu.

They had a tent stall set-up in King George square one Friday and even the take away was incredible (Chicken Satay - but not the "sugar loaded crap" you buy anywhere but a truly complex and distinct flavor that jumped out).

We have been to the restaurant twice now, ordering different dishes with the only detraction being if you are a bigger eater and order from their Lunch Special menu - make sure you also get an entree to share as well or you will walk out peckish.

http://www.sendokgarpu.com.au/menu-at-indooroopilly.html
    Last time we ordered from their Lunch Special menu ($15 w/drink):
    Iga Sapi Penyet (Slow cooked beef rib pieces with special herbs and spices served with a side dish of our famous Sambal: Sambal Terasi (shrimp paste chilli based))
    Ayam Goreng (1/4 Chicken) GF Indonesian style crispy chicken served with a side dish of our famous Sambal: Sambal Terasi (shrimp paste chilli based)

If you want to try something different this place is highly recommended for the complexity and uniqueness of the cuisine.

2. Rass

Rass Member

Been to Ben's 5 times in the last couple of months. First three times were really good. The last two, no so much. I blame UberEats - I go on friday lunchtimes, and have noticed the last couple of times that it's taken 30+ minutes to get our food. I could understand that if it was a steak or a complex meal, but a standardised burger? nah.

So now I'm looking for a new burger joint.

3. OP
    OP
    Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

I found Ben's was lacklustre on the only time we went.

Try Miel Container if you can, I've been there 3 times now and it is consistent and always awesome and they are expanding.

4. Rass

Rass Member

I'm in the other end of the valley - bit of a hike. I'll have to go some time when visiting the GF, she works near there.

5. Reaper

Reaper Member

I've recently discovered the best burgers are the ones I'm making myself here at home. :)

Anyway, went to Narangba Village pizza last Saturday and got a regular meat pizza. Holy crap it's loaded. 2 slices is a meal on its own. Went again Thursday arvo and got a crab meat pizza, toppings are great and I'm pretty sure it's actual crab meat and not seafood extender. The garlic bread is great too. Very polite staff too.

6. DriftMax

DriftMax Member

Thread needs more wings. I've gone my life without eating enough wings and trying to make up for it, where are the go to places for chicken wings?

On burgers, I'm really enjoying Brooklyn Depot at Southbank at the moment.

Also for something different, the sand crab lasagne at Il Centro, Eagle street pier was one of the best meals I've eaten.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  7. chrispy711

chrispy711 Member

These are all good for wings:-

Wingblasters in clayfield
    Buffalo Bar in the city.
    Tipplers Tap in southbank (also cheap, 10$ a KG last i was there).
    Yard Bird in the valley and Paddington. \

Just came back from a few weeks in the states. Australia is a long way behind on our chicken wing game.

8. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Second visit to Just Poppy's over the weekend. Months ago I went there and had "The Flood", this time "Halloween" (seeing as it was appropriate for the time of year).

That's enough stuffing around. Next time it's the "Superbiff".

9. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

and stones corner now

10. prophey

prophey Member

I just came back from Hawaii and even a shabby little shack like pub had wings 10x better and full sized wings too.. not this micro-wing crud we have here.

11. OP
    OP
    Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

It has been a couple of months since I have tried a new burger joint and Miss Kay's has been on the bucket list for a long time.

Post back later with some pics and comments.

12. Andrew357

Andrew357 Member

I shop frequently @ Coles New Farm and decided to grab a burger from Smoke BBQ after my shop. Whenever (infrequently) go there it's usually the Beef Rib or the Brisket but I remembered this thread and thought I'd give the burgers a go.

Grabbed 'The Smoke' with fries ($21), cheddar, bacon, lettuce, onion, tomato, their BBQ sauce + mayo.

It was pretty good, meat had a good grill flavour and cooked medium throughout but a touch underseasoned. Cheese was sharpish and the bacon had a good flavour. The salad was plentiful (probably too much onion for me, it was raw red onion) and I could have done with a little more sauce.

I would order it again and just ask for more sauce. I could forgive the onion quantity

13. Calindor

Calindor Member

Be interested in how you think.

I went with a friend over Halloween, and they were serving black bread for the buns, and bright red onion rings. Tasted ok, but I picked up a hint of charcoal in the bread. Need to go back.

Miel Container has opened up a new place in Sunnybank in Market Square. Much more space than the Mary St. location. On my list to go and try out some time.

https://www.zomato.com/brisbane/miel-container-sunnybank

14. OP
    OP
    Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Ok got distracted.......

http://www.misskays.com.au/food-and-drink

We ordered:

Get Clucked (tasty but it was a bit rubbery and the missus felt it was almost undercooked), and the special of the day.....

Pizza Burger (the really did get the essence of a Pizza into this but I don't know why I ordered it as I love "thin and crispy" bases but with the buns this came across as a thick and "doughy" base) tasty but a poor choice on my behalf.

We also had a serve of Onion Rings (utterly awesome and a must have) and Miss Kay's Fries (good fries).

Overall they were good portions but I was left a little underwhelmed but primarily due to our menu choices. Definitely has revisit potential.

I will go back (solo as the missus won't be keen for a revisit) and try their LudaKrisp (these look awesome) and Dirty Fries.

Click to view full size!

15. OP
    OP
    Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Went to Ze Pickle today and we very impressed.

would have to be the best chips I have ever had with the bacon really carrying through with a strong rich flavor, the cheese and zp sauce were really tasty without being acidic - overall really complex flavors working extremely well - 9.0

Click to view full size!

An awesome burger but as I had cut it in half to share with the missus the cheese sticks had been squashed but a really good burger - 9.0

Click to view full size!

we just had the std without the guacamole but again another awesome with plenty of flavor - the lettuce and tomatoes were so fresh and the crispy chicken was very yummy - 8.5 - just wish the chicken fillet was larger.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Overall it was a great feed and the ambience of the place had a semi-industrial grunge feel (but still very clean) with War Pigs, Whole lotta love, etc. belting out of the stereo - definitely a must got to place but it does cost - for the above 3 dishes we paid $48 with tap water (I never drink when I go out to eat as I want to taste the food).

16. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Our best wings are King of Wings food truck. Followed not very closely by Newstead Brewing then Yard Bird. Lord of the Wings in carindale goes alright too.

Buffalo Bar sucks.

17. sha

sha Member

You are kidding right? Best wings in Brisbane hands down are Wingblaster at Clayfield.

The wings I had a KoW a while ago made me sick and I have never been back.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  18. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

KoW has never made me or anyone I know sick. You unlucky or it was something else.

Wingblaster is OK, but not not best in Brisbane. I've always been happy to eat there, but they never make me think that they do a great job.

New place Santa Monica I think, corner Ann and Edward do a different wing. Quite big and almost a cornflake crumb.

Smoke BBQ used to do a good wing. Now just very oily. Same with Manhatten Line at southbank.

Tippers tap wings are OK, herbs crispy thing.

The Plough aren't too bad.

Pit Boss was meh. Crispy plain wing and they give you a bottle of Baby Ray's.

I've had wings at a fair few places in Brisbane, keen to try them all!

Most places these days just deep fry the same pre-battered wing and toss it in Frank's Hot Sauce. Some still stuff that up.

19. Rass

Rass Member

I went to MissKay's today. Had a cheeseburger and fries. Not bad. I think the meat patty was a little small, and in the future I would either add bacon or a second patty, but it was really good.

Place was really crowded not too long after I ordered; glad I was there before midday.

20. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Yeah I go there sometimes. Definately go before midday.

The MK Burger is good, has bacon, BBQ sauce and 2 onion rings on it. I take the onion rings off, like a free side of onion rings ;)