1. Win some Team Group goodies in OCAU's latest contest!
    Dismiss Notice

Best Burgers (including eats) around Brisbane

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by Bold Eagle, Nov 21, 2015.

1. clonex

clonex Member

HSP's seem to be the trend atm, anyone got a favourite spot?

2. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

I havent tried them yet, but istanbul eats in salisbury keep getting mentioned as being some of the best in brisbane

3. OP
    OP
    Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

More pics and reviews - give the thread a pulse it deserves........

Otherwise we just have hearsay.

4. Reaper

Reaper Member

http://www.fryhard.com.au/

Yum yum-a-yum yum yum.

While at slammed last sunday popped in to get some dinner to take home, got fish and chips, very good. The chips, oh finally somewhere that puts a decent amount of chicken salt on that you can taste it.

Went back last night and tried the Frying Nemo burgers. Again yum. Going to try some beef based ones next time.

5. OP
    OP
    Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

This thread needed a bump.

I have been dining out at least 1-2 times a week and here are some suggestions:

Greek:
    Zeus Street Greek in Southbank
    https://zeusstreetgreek.com.au/

The missus and I shared 'Feast For Two' and it was AWESOME, memorable and different from the many of the other West End: Greek Restaurants (most are very to extremely good), the Chicken was amazing and the salads flavorsome but the rice was weird for me and detracted from the meal - 8.5

Brooklyn Depot (Burgers)
    https://www.brooklyndepot.com.au/as...away_web-548903f47fff61ab13edfd7b4a095f15.pdf

The ambience was far better than the food - the Onion Strings were the stand out but the Brooklyn Classic was a 'good burger'....struggling to find greatness but the Chicky Babe was a real - wtf - how did I order this crap and how can it be on any menu the flavor load was confusing at best and tending towards crap/yukky - Macca's/HJ can do a better chicken burger and the fries were 'ok' - 4.5. If we didn't order that chicken burger they would have probably hit at least a 6.

Future investigations:

Walking through Milton and I saw;
    'Burger Institute' - 'Chef Inspired Burger Creations':
    http://www.burgerinstitute.com.au/

Fromage - from the cow - the $15 Lunch Specials are worth a look in:
    http://www.fromagethecow.com.au/menus-1/

Both look very worthy of a visit and exploration.

All local Brisbanites this should be viewed as a source for 'good eats' not just burgers. Feel free to bring anything interesting, unusual and exciting.

For example I found this blog very interesting:
    Brisbane's Best cheap eats

Having eaten at several of those already I found this 'incredible' gem:
    No No's Lebanese Food

Completely different and unusual from anything I had eaten before and it was 'amazing' - the complexity of flavors from very wholesome and passionately cooked food. Again my wife and I shared a 'Platter for Two' so we could try to capture the diversity of dishes they had on offer. This place is a truly must do if you can handle 'something different' - 8.9

Will post in another week. Hopefully some others can share their local experiences.

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  6. clonex

clonex Member

no no's get any lahma bi ajeen or shifa? :)

7. OP
    OP
    Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

That I am not certain of:
    http://www.196flavors.com/lebanon-lahm-bi-ajin-sfiha/

One thing that did really jump out on the day they made arguably the best and freshest tabbouleh I have ever had (and possibly ever will have) in my life.

The little 'ole school milkbar/cafe' has been there for more than 20 years (family run) and is a real 'hidden gem' and a must do for any locals.

8. pugsley

pugsley Member

Had KOW last friday night for the first time and was honestly disappointed after hearing so many good things about them. I got their original, BBQ and Portuguese and i could not tell a difference between their original and Portuguese. Chicken was cooked well and the bbq sauce they used had a nice flavour but still underwhelming.

Tipplers Tap have done some decent wings in the past, but have not been round lately. Their new location isn't as convenient.

9. prophey

prophey Member

Will never go back to WingBlaster. Worse service ever. Sitting in a car park eating exhaust fumes also ain't fun.

Tried Neil Perry's Burger Project.. meh.. run of the mill.. if i'm around there i'd go for it.. I wouldn't make a special run.

Anyone tried Hanks or Fritzenburger? I'm keen to try them both.

I've been really digging Winner Winner.. their chicken burger and fries combo is very good for the price. Plus their chicken in general. Nom nom nom.. luv me some fried chicken.

10. Avariel

Avariel Member

Istanbul Eats is spectacular, went there with the girlfriend at the Salisbury carpark (their home). She had been before I was a little hesistant having had kebab plates etc from a joint near work. Did the Mix meat in the smallest available size also got their holy trinity sauce, bbq, garlic and hot chilli. I was sensational. I'm a big eater, barely got through their smallest serve. The meat is tender but also crispy and cooked just right. The chips are some of the best I've had, look them up on facebook for their daily locations. well worth trying.

11. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

Rather amusingly I was down the road from my place earlier, and they're in woolloongabba today (on ipswich road). Guess I'm having one for dinner :D

12. OP
    OP
    Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

I had arguably the best burger I have ever had today from a new joint in Brisbane - Burger Project:
    https://www.burgerproject.com/
    https://www.burgerproject.com/food-and-drink/

Ordered:
    Magic Deluxe
    Grass feed beef, crumbed confit mushroom, cheese, onion, pickles, tomato, lettuce & secret sauce - $14.90 - I score this thing a 9.3 the mushroom and beef combo works incredibly well and had my tongue spasming in excitement. I very reluctantly gave the missus the 2nd half as she passed me over 1/2 of her burger - the missus ordered the Aussie which only gets a 7.0 because it had no egg and just beetroot but the beef patty was still awesome.

I have to go back to re-sample the Magic Deluxe and for any locals this place is a must try.

13. grrrr

grrrr Member

Im a fan of Getta Burger.

That special last week and the week before with the filthy mix and mozzarella cheese sticks was pretty amazing.

The cyclone debbie burger was good but too big.

I have a love hate relationship with their filthy fries.

14. clonex

clonex Member

The filthy fries are awesome but off their burgers after last time we went there we saw one of the staff go into the foodworks/convenience store next door and buy some pickles. Fark me they were horrid.

15. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

Istanbul Eats' KSP ended up being pretty win. They were doing a roaring trade and struggling a bit, but they really hit every note.

nicely crispy chips, good meat, him doing the flourish with the blowtorch on the cheese and bbq sauce before adding sriracha and garlic sauce was nicely done. Will do again.

16. chrispy711

chrispy711 Member

American or Korean style Fried Chicken joints seem to be the flavour of the month in Brisbane at the moment. I'd say there is about 10 that have opened up across town in last 12 months.
    I've moved across town so these are my local spots.

Winner Winner - Paddington.
    Farmer Chicken (online order only) - Petrie Terrace
    Ben's Burgers - West End

Winner Winner is great. They do Nashville style fried chicken, which means it is served painted in a spicy chili concoction. Their very hot spice level is solid.

Istanbul Eats looks amazing. Will check that out soon.

There is also some nice new places on King Street, Bowen Hills. Had a good burger at some video game themed joint.

17. Reaper

Reaper Member

I was being too polite last year in my assessment of them. I won't go back at all after my first and only experience. Can't be stuffed anymore, as soon as it's not right by me, I just move on. Fry hard is a lot better.

18. chrispy711

chrispy711 Member

For me, Getta Burger has extreme portions, with low quality. I don't hurry back to their joints.

19. Reaper

Reaper Member

Is Grill'd worth going to? I've passed the one at northlakes a few times, usually when It's either not lunch time or I've just picked up a dollar hotdog at ikea. :) Oh man, that's just such great value.

20. OP
    OP
    Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

I have been there twice - nothing memroable or mentionable would give them about a 5.0.

Honestly, the Hungary Jacks Grill Master range get's a 7.5 in my book and are a more meaningful baseline/benchmark:
    https://www.hungryjacks.com.au/menu/grill-masters

A guy at work has highly recommended 'The Bone Lorry' interested if anyone has tired this:
    http://www.thebonelorry.com.au/the-bone-lorry-street-side-menu/

https://www.facebook.com/thebonelorry/

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017