Best cooler for duals and quads?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by OZeight, Oct 13, 2006.

1. OZeight

OZeight Member

For specific Intel coolers please refer to this thread.

I'm getting close to ordering my system (E6400, Gigabyte DQ6 etc) though I'm not really up to date on HSF/Coolers these days. I'll be overclocking my E6400, shooting for 3200-3400Mhz so I've done a little looking around and narrowed my options down to 2 currently:

Zalman CNPS9500
    Thermaltake Big Typhoon

I don't want a noisy beast either. Any thoughts which might be best for me out of these 2 (or even something else I haven't considered)

And just for curiousity, how would the stock cooler handle that sort of overclocking? What sort of average temps would the stock cooler be seeing at this point compared to a cooler such as these ones mentioned. Has anyone compared?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2008
  2. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Big Typhoon, and the just released SI-128. I have both running. No real difference. I prefer the SI-128 though because it comes without a fan, and the user don't have to pay (like with the BT) for a crappy half size 120 mm fan.

Based on my experience with various such HSF, I do NOT recommend any HSF (for overclocking) that is blowing over the PCB, instead of blowing onto the CPU socket and the heat sink.

3. HyperZ

HyperZ Member

I had the same question in mind a few days ago, looks like everyone here likes the Thermaltake BT, but theres a review on the upcoming BT Vx floating somewhere with the difference being the newer Vx comes with standard mounts like the OEM Intel HSF, making installation and removal a lot easier. i.e No need to remove Mobo from case, so thats what i ordered. Hopefully it'll arrive early next week, can post some pics if anyones interested.

4. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

The SI-128 comes also with push in pins.

http://www.thermalright.com/a_news/main_news_si128.htm

I think it's the trend now.

5. HyperZ

HyperZ Member

Hmm....no fan? Are the load temps on par with the BT since you have both to compare chainbolt?

6. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Of course, you have to buy a fan by your self. But there are huge differences between 120 mm fan, I have an assortment of 8 x 120 mm fan at hand, ranging from 50 to to almost 300 CFM. But I would never use the 120 mm fan that comes with BT, it's neither silent, nor is it really strong, it's just shit. :p

Load temps between my BT and the SI-128 are identical, or the differences are random.

7. OP
    OP
    OZeight

OZeight Member

I'm interested in seeing pics. I was going to order my system on Friday but I may delay things a little until I'm 100% sure about every component. Deciding on the right cooler seems like its worth a few extra days to me.

The SI-128 looks interesting but I've had trouble finding it available anywhere locally. I also gather it'll be a lot more expensive than the others mentioned which isn't the nail in the coffin, but something else to consider. So any 120mm fan works with it, its just a matter of picking out the one you want?

I definately like the idea of the "push in pin" design. I still remember the hell I had with an old Alpha HSF I had years ago on Socket-A AMDs, one was an absolute b!tch to install, but I kept using it (its still in use today!) because it was so effective. Having said that, I don't want that sort of hassle in the future so I'm making this push-in-pin design another requirement of mine ;)

UPDATE: Okay I think I'm leaning toward the TT Big Typhoon VX now. Have read a few positive reviews, though I'm not entirely sold on its fan, would it be the same fan the non-VX ships with? I'm keen to hear how the fan works out HyperZ, I'm not sure if I should order it as is or order a nice 120mm fan as well :)

Last edited: Oct 14, 2006
  8. Wongle

Wongle (Banned or Deleted)

The BT will perform extremely well for your desired clocks, even with the orig fan. Ive been using a BT on a 6400 for a while now with stock fan, runs cool, runs quiet, excellent temps but i would chase down a BT-VX to save removing m/b each time, actually i think the DQ6 is problematic with old BT due to underside brackets used to anchor existing cooling.
    BT all the way :thumbup:

9. OP
    OP
    OZeight

OZeight Member

So thats all :thumbup: for BT VX so far (for DQ6 Mobo) thanks guys I think I'll just take the plunge and if I'm not happy with the fan I can always buy a replacement later.

10. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

I'm running a DQ6 here with a big typhoon.

I had no problems mounting it whatsoever, just mounted the baseplate over the heatsink on the bottom of the mobo and tightened the HSF down evenly.

11. garry

garry Member

Hi Chainbolt i thought i would just quickly ask you,does the Big typhoon fit the Asus P5W64 WS Pro motherboard
    because i was originally going to buy the Asus P5WDH motherboard but now i have decided to get the Asus P5W64 WS instead and was wondering if it would fit still since its a big cpu cooler.

12. Leaf_Killer

Leaf_Killer Member

im gonna order a big typ vx for my e6300 and was just wondering wether it would be worth getting one of the fans on this page link because they have free shipping on everything with 48hr dilevery :thumbup:

13. slobber

slobber Member

You've lost me chainy, I dont understant your statement or maybe I just need a hammer to the back of the head :eek:

I have always thought that its good if the CPU fan also blows over the fets at the same time as cooling the CPU ????

Thats what the BIG T does, same as the Thermalright coolers, both of which are the best choise to buy

14. drunkntigr

drunkntigr Member

Hmmm then what's a good cooler for the DS3 at under $50??

15. Ben Ifin

Ben Ifin Member

Chainbolt

What 120mm fan are you running on you Big Typhoons ?

Ben

16. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Currently Sanyo Denki: Full size 120 mm fan at 3,000 and 130 CFM. That's around double the performance of the fan that comes with the BT. The noise is still ok. I have an industry grade 8,000 RPM 120 mm fan from Sanyo Denki, that produces almost 300 CFM, but the noise is unbearable.

17. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

I think we are talking about the same thing, sorry for my bad English.

There are HSF that blow onto the PCB, like the INTEL reference fan, the BT and the Mini BT, and SP-90, the SP-120, and the SI-128. This is good, because it follows the Intel reference design, the mosefts and the NB and various other components are cooled to gether with the CPU sink.

Then we have HSF that blow "over" the PCB, like the Scythe Ninja and Infiniti, various Zalman design, the Cooler Master Hyper 6+, etc. I don't say that these HSF are bad, but I found that the design where the fan is blowing into the CPU sink are better, and additionally you get cooling for the NB and the mosfets.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2006
  18. lowdog

lowdog Member

Not sure but I think the Thermalright Ultra 120 is the newest model http://www.pccasegear.com.au/prod4119.htm

It has 8 heatpipes and a new fin design wheras the SI-128 has 4 heatpipes. The Ultra 120 weighs an extra 300g more than the SI-128 as well.

It's heavy all right but lucky for me I have a bracket attached to the case the rests under the end or the Ultra 120 and helps support it, the bracket also mounts an additional 120mm fan that is blowing directly onto the nth bridge heatsink and mofets heatsinks on my P5W64.............which is better than having the warm air from the heatsink fan blowing over the mobo imho.

I'm using it and with X6800 @ 3500Mhz stock vcore and my dual prime temps are 51C max.

19. Submariner

Submariner Member

lowdog, the SI-128 is the newest blow down model.

Maybe we should come up with some cool names to differentiate between a blow down (best for overclocker) and a blow thru (best for silent PC) heatsink ;)

20. lowdog

lowdog Member

Blow down, blow through, blah ;)

I think the way I have my blow through model set up is better than having the blow down model anyway because I have a blow down fan below it blowing down directly onto the nth bridge, mofets and ram while the blow through above it is blowing through to the rear case fan that is blowing out of the case. :confused:......lot of blowing going on there. :Paranoid: Seems to be working fine for me.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2006