Best courses to learn Unreal Engine?

Discussion in 'Programming & Software Development' started by jvalente, Jan 3, 2021.

1. jvalente

jvalente Member

Hi all,

As per subject would like to learn the unreal engine. Any good courses anyone can recommend on udemy/other courses etc?

My background:

Did not study computer science. But have learnt programming for my job. Languages I can demonstrate capability:

1) VBA - what I started on
    2) SQL
    3) Python
    4) Currently learning JavaScript

2. Tinian

Tinian Member

jvalente likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    jvalente

jvalente Member

4. neRok

neRok Member

I don't know how you learn best, but I just jumped in and watched/read a few sources as I came across a new problem/system. Turns out that was a decent method because there are so many disparate systems within the UI, learning them all before hand would be an epic undertaking. You should start by learning the basics, everything to do with starting a project (templates?), setting up a map, altering the various settings (project, world, map, etc), loading assets, placing assets, organising assets, etc.

Once you've got a handle on that, you might like to look at materials, which will give you an introduction to blueprint-style programming. Wrap your head around normals, vectors, working extensively with the 0 to 1 number range, and all that good stuff. Try making the material react to properties on an asset instance (instance being an asset in a level), ie make it green when pointing north, red when east, etc.

Then you can move onto asset and/or level blueprinting, and all the power they convey. It's important to get used to exposing variables (akin to making them public in VBA) so that other asset/level blueprints can work with them, but also so that other systems can work together with these blueprints (animations, etc). So for example, make the asset blueprint change the material and/or property on the material based upon some input. Then as you start getting more advanced you can start considering how to manage you blueprints with coding concepts such as inheritance and composition.

Anyway, between the official wiki and q+a system, forums, blogs, youtube, etc - there are tons of resources out there to show you how to skin a cat (and often there are lots of ways to do the same task).

Regarding actual coding, you can make a fairly complex game without doing any. Blueprints compile down to underlying code, so they shouldn't be terribly inneficient vs manual code. Also, the underlying system is C++, which is a bit more hardcore than languages VBA/Python, so if you go to that extreme, that will be another hurdle to cross. I believe there is python in the editor (I never got around to using it), but I believe it is only for doing batch operations on/with the editor, not for actual gameplay (like how 3dsMax etc have python in the editor). Similarily, there would be systems for interfacing with databases if you need lots of data for use in blueprints, and similarly you can pull in CSV data for doing the same with bulk static data (I wouldn't be surprised if there were similar options for JSON and the like).

I mentioned 3dsMax just before, and ultimately you will need something like it for modifying static meshes, especially if you plan on getting free ones, because you can't do a lot with the imported mesh within UE4. The standard "pro" tools for this are programs like 3dsMax and Maya, but the free alternative that is meant to be nearly as good is Blender.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
    RnR likes this.
  5. liveordie

liveordie Member

why do you need a course just jump in haha.