1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Best CPU block for AM4

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by OzJustin, Jun 26, 2020.

1. OzJustin

OzJustin Member

Hi all,

I'm looking to build an AM4 system (AMD 3300X initially then an 8 core 4000 series when available) and currently considering what CPU block to use with my existing Swiftech Edge 220 water kit.

I haven't been able to find a lot of info on what CPU block offers good performance on AM4. The Heatkiller IV or Optimus AM4 block seem to be the two most talked about. Thoughts on the best option?

2. hellaflush

hellaflush Member

After doing my research, the "best" is subjective, unless you're using a chiller, water thermal performance is within less than 5c of most blocks on the market and nothing has really changed in technology over the past decade. Some may have a higher flow, some more internal cooling fins but ultimately, price and aesthetics will probably be the biggest influence if anything on a decision unless you are looking for every .05 degree out of your system.

3. OP
    OP
    OzJustin

OzJustin Member

OK perhaps I should just look at an EK Velocity block and be done with it. They seem cheaper ($115-170 depending on model) compared to the Heatkiller IV blocks ($220 roughly). Should I be staying away from the plexi as I've heard some of them have cracked?

4. hellaflush

hellaflush Member

The plexi isn't really an issue, it just comes down to manufacturing defects that can happen with any product. Yes obviously plexi is more susceptible to cracking due to its composition however so many out there run plexi with no issues.

Personally, I went with the Corsair XC7 based off of aesthetics and great warranty support in the event anything goes wrong (3 year warranty and always a positive customer service experience with advanced RMA's etc)

5. juzz86

juzz86 Member

There are a couple of well-priced Bykski options at PLE also. I am leaning towards the XPR Zen Acrylic for my next update when I jump camps! Bit excited, haven't done 'the guts' in a long time now!

Bolter01 likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    OzJustin

OzJustin Member

Thanks for that. Lots of options at PLE. So hard to tell which block is going to perform best on an AMD with the chiplet locations etc. There is so little info out there on testing etc.

7. juzz86

juzz86 Member

As hellaflush says, there's not a whole ton of difference between an 'average' block, and the best. Pick the one that'll fit within your mount dimensions easiest, then which fits the aesthetic best. I wouldn't lose sleep over not having 'the best' CPU block mate :thumbup:

8. OP
    OP
    OzJustin

OzJustin Member

Ok. So long as they are all within say 5 degrees then I agree it's not something worth fussing over. Now to choose a block. :)

I'm liking this block - Can anyone tell me the difference between EK's Velocity 'D-RGB' and the 'RGB' (non D)?
    https://www.pccasegear.com/products/44986/ek-velocity-d-rgb-cpu-waterblock-amd-nickel-plexi

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    juzz86 likes this.
  9. arasta

arasta Member

i think its just the header you plug it into? most boards seem to have both these days but i presume older ones had one or the other... i dont know if it affects the colour range you can get with them or anything.

i have the copper acetal version to go on mine, im not really into clear tops or nickel. will be interested to see what sort of temp results you get, given we are both in bris summer will be the real acid test....

10. im late

im late Member

I am using the byski plexi with great success and for $69 it is a no brainer for me.

Bolter01 and juzz86 like this.
  11. juzz86

juzz86 Member

Difference between RGB and d/aRGB is voltage and amount of control - RGB is 12V, dRGB is 5V. If you plug RGB into dRGB it won't work, if you plug dRGB into RGB you'll pop it.

RGB is fine for single colours and basic patterns. dRGB is where the fancy per-LED patterns come from.

:thumbup:

arasta likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    OzJustin

OzJustin Member

Is this the CPU block you were looking at? It seems like a very cheap Intel specific block (can't see any AM4 support listed).
    https://www.ple.com.au/Products/634367/Bykski-XPR-Acrylic-RBW-LGA115x-CPU-Waterblock
    I had not heard of Bykski before. Are they reputable/where are they made? Surely they're cutting corners to produce them for only $39..

13. juzz86

juzz86 Member

This one in fact mate. They are Chinese, and have gained a big portfolio and a bit of popularity in a short time. They popped up providing GPU blocks for some more unpopular SKUs, and they've gone from there.

Depending on what (and where) you read, they've been OEMing for some of the GPU companies on their waterblocked SKUs before going into market under their own name. Anecdotal reports on their gear seem good - most issues seem to arise from poor translation in GPU block compatibility notes than anything.

I'm not convinced that we're not just being ripped blind by everyone else, and Bykski are just undercutting by volume. But I'm just cynical.

14. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

Also remember that you are running a 3300X / 8 Core 4000 CPU. Neither should be crazy power hogging beasts or crazily expensive so it seems wiser to chose a cheaper block for it. An expensive CPU block is about the same price as a 3300X or 50% of the current 8 Cores.

15. juzz86

juzz86 Member

I meant to drop this in here the other night too, here's a Freezemod one for half the price, from China. Freezemod seem to be branching out a bit similar to Bykski. I've got some fittings and have ordered a flow meter from them - fitting quality is equal to Bykski. I'll report back on the meter but if I end up at AMD after tax, this is likely the block I'll grab too - eyeing a 3700X at this stage, maybe a 3700XT if it's available by then.

16. arasta

arasta Member

it looks there wont be a 3700 xt; they have condensed the stack. just 3600xt, 3800xt and 3900xt i believe. just saw over in the ryzen thread raincloudx saw CPL have pricing for the xts:

3600XT - $409
    3800XT - $659

given i paid 450 for my 3700x - even tho it was from midyear last year and not newer stock (doh!) i dont think ill be going the xts. id probably rather dump into a new mainboard instead, and be ready for 4ks when they start showing up in the FS forum :p even tho i have an x470 that allegedly will support them with the closed release bios, id probably leave it untouched and sell it with full lower tier cpu support and leave it for someone else to make that call.

that cooler is damn cheap :S i dont know if id go with the block tho another fittings maker is worth a look out for, thanks for that note.... as i have said before i am not a nickel plate fan so i went with the copper +black delrin velocity which probably isnt the best choice out there but was not drenched in unicorn vomit and had the copper i wanted without being a kick in the n̶u̶t̶s̶ wallet.... if there were better choices (at least that suit the aesthetic im after, no shiny no rgb barf) im all ears.

(couldnt find strikethough so had to generate unicode lol)

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    juzz86 likes this.
  17. juzz86

juzz86 Member

Ah that all but cements the 3700X as the option to go with then - with a nice B550 ITX board. B550 reads like a mainstream chipset done well - AMD's chopping room floor a bit cleaner than Intel's. Allure of eight cores at 65W is strong, and it'll be cool enough that it'll clock like a 3800X anyway.

Now I need to find someone who wants 32GB of 3200/16 RAM, so I can get my hands on some 3600 stuff!

Figure I'll grab the block and guinea pig it - can't hurt to have some first-hand Freezemod experience lurking around!

18. Bolter01

Bolter01 Member

nothing wrong with Bykski block, huge cold plate, free-flowing & excellent temps - 3900X

a subtle bonus of a clear block is - 'shit you can see inside!'

DSC_0282.JPG

DSC_0278.JPG

DSC_0358.JPG

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    juzz86 and im late like this.
  19. juzz86

juzz86 Member

It does look nice! :thumbup:

20. OP
    OP
    OzJustin

OzJustin Member

3300X is what I'm looking at as a stop-gap until an 8 core 4000 series CPU. ;)
    Still not sure how I feel about the Byksi or similar 'cheap' blocks after reading the 1-2 2017ish reviews I could find. Can anyone link me to a more current review to show their quality has improved?

Bolter01 - So you're happy with your block on 3900X? Install went smoothly? No issue with clearance given the block is so long?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020