1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Best driving roads around Queenstown, NZ?

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by blankpaper, Feb 14, 2020.

1. blankpaper

blankpaper Member

I'll be in Queenstown in October/November and will have a spare day. I'm thinking of hiring a motorbike and taking in some scenery. Already checked some hire places and I'm OK from a licensing/age/experience perspective so it's a go!

Can anyone recommend any particular roads or photo spots? They all look good on google maps, but would appreciate some help narrowing it down a little.

A few options I had in mind:
    - Queenstown -> Lumsden -> Manapouri -> Milford Sound (3 hours each way)
    - Queenstown -> Lumsden -> Invercargill/Bluff (3 hours each way)
    - Queenstown -> Wanaka -> Haast -> Jackson Bay (3.5 hours each way)

Thanks

2. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

Definitely head up the crown range road which will land you at Wanaka then head around the west of the lake and cruise up to treble cone ski fields, amazing mountain road. Just open the gate it won't be closed to public just looks it, close it again behind you.

Drive to Milford is amazing, Haast pass was pretty cool and even going north to Hanmer Springs through the middle is some epic roadways, then hit the hot springs.

Don't forget cruise up the remarkables to the ski field and head around the lake to Glenorcy there is some amazing scenery.

fritzman likes this.
  3. CrazyDez

CrazyDez Member

Milford Sound and Jackson Bay are amazing drives. Don't go to Bluff. It and Invercargill are depressing.

The ferry port at Milford is depressing looking, but if you go on the ferry and through Milford sound you will not regret it, so factor in time for that.

Pick your vehicle carefully, as you may be stuck behind campervans.

Nethiuz likes this.
  4. JustHarry

JustHarry Member

I've personally done Invercargill - Queenstown and then Queenstown - Millers Flat - Dunedin.

The Invercargil - Queenstown was a great drive when driving along Lake Wakatipu. It was a mediocre drive from Invercargil - Lumsden, but after that, i was in awe.

One place I didn't get to go to was Milford Sound on the same drive (was pressed for time to drive from Invercargil - Queenstown, hold a breakfast meet then continue onto Dunedin). If you did Milford Sound (which is awesome from what ive been told and seen), you do this drive anyway so i'd highly recommend going Milford sound as you'll get that good drive along Wakatipu in.

5. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

Not for long, that's the beauty of NZ they decided it's up to the driver when it's safe to overtake or go fast.
    I was astounded how most if not all mountain roads are just simply 100kmh, most parts you couldn't get close.
    That isn't all, it's all dotted lines, blind corners the lot. Pick your spot and floor it!!

Much better than the nanny system of too many signs, double lines and slow slow zones we have adopted.

6. OP
    OP
    blankpaper

blankpaper Member

Awesome, thanks for the input. I'm looking forward to it.