1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

best format to save photos?

Discussion in 'Programming & Software Development' started by ToxicHerb, Jun 24, 2003.

1. ToxicHerb

ToxicHerb Member

i was wondering which the best format to save photos in. im not fussed on the size of the photo as long as it preserves the high quality of the image.

bitmap
    tiff
    TGA
    Pcx
    PNG
    jpeg

which one?

2. =xer0=

=xer0= Member

i know you dont care about size .... but .jpg usually retains it's quality really well ( depending on user input) and it's go great compression :D :thumbup:

note: The best way to find out things like this is through trial and error...... e.g. try it for yourself. :)

Last edited: Jun 24, 2003
  3. Ch00k

Ch00k Member

If you dont care about size, any loss-less compresion is fine. Bitmap is the most widely supported, and TIFF should be good too, if you set the options to loss-less. You could try loss-less JPG, though I dont know how much software supports it

4. c e f i r o

c e f i r o Member

5. OP
    OP
    ToxicHerb

ToxicHerb Member

just scanned a few pics in and there was no difference between jpg and bitmap... the only difference is when you start zooming in and the jpg looks really grainy.

tiff and bitmap are almost identical so for compression its all jpeg and for best quality ill save them as bitmaps :)

6. 3lite

3lite Member

.psd :D

Trust me.

All your free HDD space are belong to us!

7. MYSRH

MYSRH Member

8. |guanA

|guanA Member

Tagged Image File Format (TIFF) = no compression = best quality = largest file size.

Usually a 300kb JPEG saved as tiff will be around 5 - 10MB.

If you want quality professional photo's for editing, TIFF is the only way to go.

High Res (300dpi) JPEGS saved with quality 5 setting should be good enough just for normal storage/vewing though.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2003
  9. Shinglor

Shinglor Member

PNG. Lossless, 32 bit colour and it's compressed so you're not wasting space.

10. FrIdGe

FrIdGe Member

put in my vote for PNG. It's the best thing since sliced bread...whenever that was invented.

11. AlanC

AlanC Member

TIFF is really good for photo or photo album.
    Black & White, 4bit, 8bit, RGB, CYMK, 48bit, 16bit Grey

PNG is going replace GIF
    Black & White, 4bit, 8bit, RGB, Grey

12. bluedreamer

bluedreamer Member

For my photo-editing i converted all my tiffs to pngs ages ago so I could burn em off. Half the size and while editing them again there wasn't much difference really. Better quality than jpg, good compression and up there in close up visual quality as tiff.

13. shock_

shock_ Member

Vote for Papua New Guinea.

Really though it depends on the images themselves. You haven't said whether space is a concern as well as quality - if quality really is important, esp if you're going to work on those images at a later stage, don't even consider Jpeg.

If you've got a lot of images to archive, grab something like IrfanView which allows you to batch convert images. Take a representative sample of five or ten percent of your photos and batch-convert them to PNG, BMP, TIFF, and/or other lossless formats. Then see which gives you the overall best compression for your particular photos and that's your answer.

14. Shinglor

Shinglor Member

Initial post:

15. amobea

amobea Member

kinda OT

but as far as PNG goes
    if a "technology" hasn't gotten anywhere withing 5 years of it's release
    its generally not going to
    PNG is just gonna sit in the background slowly chugging like it is now and has been for the last 5 years or so

as far as image quality
    TIFF or TGA
    PSD if you really want but it doesn't really have an advantage over TIFF or TGA for a single layer image afaik

you can all ways resave the image as a PSD if and when you want to edit it

16. Whitey Ford

Whitey Ford Sings the blues

TIFF is the best way to save images as many third party image viewers support TIFF. I use PSD mostly, but TIFF as well for photographic images.

JPG is for images that are online and nothing else. No locally stored images should ever be JPG. It's such a horrible format.

Mike

17. Admiral

Admiral Member

TIFF is the ONLY WAY TO GO.

Either that or just make copies of the original jpgs and never re-save them, because every time you do, you're slowly degrading the image due to jpg being a lossy form of compression.

TIFF is easily the most widely supported format for photos, and if any of you suggested saving photos in BMP format around me i'd probably bitchslap you back into last Tuesday.

18. MYSRH

MYSRH Member

19. Admiral

Admiral Member

Care to elaborate, or are you just going to post an incredibly overused smiley?

20. hast

hast (Banned or Deleted)

dots in the location field break it. note
    PNG is dead. Now that all the nazis can't bitch about GIFs, PNG will finally go to the shitter where it belongs.