Best "fraps" alternative?

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by MooGliSH, Mar 5, 2013.

1. MooGliSH

MooGliSH Member

Is fraps still a contender? what are all the cool kids using these days? :confused:

I don't care about on-the-fly encoding or anything special like that, as long as there isn't too much of a performance hit, and I can record in at least native res (1920x1200).
    Audio capture is a must.

2. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

Dxtory if you don't want to use fraps. Radeon pro will also screenshot/record video if you've a amd card. Not so sure about nvidia inspector.

3. tunagirll

tunagirll Member

Still prefer fraps

4. lithos

lithos Member

I find Fraps pretty good.

Does what it says on the tin - BUT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, MAKE SURE YOU CHANGE THE "RECORD" HOTKEY TO SOMETHING ELSE.

I used to wonder why Fallout 3 slowed down to 30FPS every odd-number quick load, and why my HDD filled up with several dozen gigabytes in only a few days when I wasn't downloading anything...

5. ausghostdog

ausghostdog Member

I use cam studio, it's free and you don't end up with a 40 gig file at the end of it.

6. pb3xunleashd

pb3xunleashd Member

Dxtory for me. Having the recording framerate seperate to the game framerate is very convenient.

You will have to dick around with codecs to find a good balance between quality and file size, but I won't go back to fraps now.

7. kreegor

kreegor Member

I've been using msi afterburner for a while and I have found it be pretty good! It has more than just video recording as well.

8. damo13579

damo13579 Member

msi afterburner for me. seems to give a pretty clear recording and doesn't seem to drop FPS much either

9. thecondor

thecondor Member

Still use fraps. Seems to be the best.

10. koopz

koopz Member

http://www.playclaw.com/

Playclaw was so good (and pluggin friendly) I forked out the $29US for it. There's a free trial still I guess.

I liked the overlay options so I could see framerate/CPU temps/GPU temps on the fly, as well as seeing who was talking in TS at the time. It never tripped Valve anti-cheat or Punkbuster which was a plus.

Video recording includes several codecs which thankfully meant no more having to worry about filling up the SSD hard drive every game.

if only they'd make a *nix and Mac version :/

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  11. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

fraps is $40 but MSI AB is free and does pretty much all the major features you need...it wasn't till a few years ago that AB started to record audio with videos were it just recorded the video with no audio.

12. Kyorisu

Kyorisu Member

13. Eradicate'

Eradicate' Member

Dxtory with Lagarith lossless codec

14. OP
    OP
    MooGliSH

MooGliSH Member

Afterburner records at about 3fps for me, which is why I made this thread :p
    I'll check out the other options and report back.

15. Domokun

Domokun Member

Agreed. I've been using MSI Afterburner exclusively for a little while now. The decrease in performance is minimal compared to other screen recording software, which — in my opinion — is a massive advantage (considering I don't have an Intel Core I7 3770 and Nvidia GTX 680 anymore).

16. B.thomson

B.thomson Member

Open Broadcaster or MSI Afterburner.

If Afterburner is recording at 3fps for you, I would suggest trying to troubleshoot the problem as you will likely have reduced performance in other capture programs as well. Or it is simply some configuration issue in Afterburner that if fixed would resolve your problem.

Perhaps post up your recording settings and system specs?

17. y_richard

y_richard Member

18. KillaDoor89

KillaDoor89 Member

I've been using dxtory for a while now but it has some annoying bugs like my setting's not saving when I restart my pc and that but I like to be able to run virtual audio cable and record ts3 audio separate to game audio.

I have heard good things about playclaw I used it years ago back when it wasn't as feature rich but it seems to have some pretty interesting features now so I might have to give it a go. I like the overlays idea.

I would stay away from fraps unless you just want something non fuss and have more hdd space than a black hole.