1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Best FTTP Router

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Butcher9_9, Apr 28, 2020.

1. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

Hi Guys

Super quick one for you, sorry if there are other posts like this (saw a similar one on the first page but different connection type).

Whats the go to NBN Wifi Router for FTTP/H these data.
    Small 3/2 home with single brick walls. Will most likely cable up my desktop so While Wifi is important not super critical .
    I would prefer to avoid Face crabs /Huggers.
    Gigabit Ethernet
    AX / Wifi 6 preferred.

Thanks

2. rickbishop

rickbishop Member

3. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Either Ubiquiti Edge Router lite or UniFi security gateway plus some unifi access points.

It’s not especially expensive and compared to other routers/ap’s I’ve used it has been set and forget.

Sureshot and Sphinx2000 like this.
  4. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

5. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Any of the Unifi home stuff is pretty amazing I think.

* UniFi Dream Machine (WiFi 5)
    * AmpliFi Mesh HD router and/or kit (great for houses with black spots - WiFi 5)
    * AmpliFi Alien (WiFi 6)

They'll all keep up with Internet speeds way faster than our crummy NBN, and many of them come with extra stuff like built in VPN (great for people travelling or if you spend a lot of time working from public/untrusted WiFi spots).

Worth checking out the features of each and deciding which suits your needs the best. But for the price, UniFi performance is astounding.

6. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

7. power

power Member

8. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

9. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

You're right, but what about DDDNS or timed firewall rules/family profiles? There are a lot of issues with the UDM currently....If you scroll through that thread many people are not happy with it..

10. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Edge router lite! Works flawlessly with FTTP. Cheap. Stable. Basic consumer features are simple enough to use (port forwarding) but has all the extended features if you want to go there.

Sureshot likes this.
  11. Zee

Zee Member

Personally, I got for Mikrotik, with Ubiquiti Edgeswitch and Ruckus AP (Unleashed).

I honestly don't see much point in AX wifi unless you're willing to have an AP in every room.

Unifi UDM/UDM Pro with a UBNT Nano AP is a reasonable option, too. May want a dumb POE switch to add on to it, though. No AX, again, but I'd be holding off an AX anyway.

Z...

Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
  12. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

Yes this is true and I was being facetious, sorry! I don't personally use a UDM and I would be pissed off at those things. I have used a USG and it's fine but it doesn't cover my use cases, so I built something from scratch.

Dilbery likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

Pricing is pretty brutal on the dream machine (Disti Direct 629ex ) , can't find the Alien. Stupid AUD, damn you for begin so rubbish.

Now from everyone experience how would you compare a UNifi Ent Gateway with something like the Asus Routers? If I beg a lot I might be able to (50/50 shot) get a couple of a really low end Ruckus (R300 ect) APs for free or very cheap (We sell a lot of the at work) , I know the R6-7xx series are very good but even with a crazy discount they are still $400-600+ a pop but R300 should be OK but have not really dealt with those much so not sure how they compare to newer Consumer grain wifi.

Option 1: Asus RT-AX56U
    Option 2: 1-2X R300 + USG + Old HP 1800-8G switch I already have + Injectors.

14. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

I'm also looking around for something now. I have an archer C7 running openwrt which is mostly great, except i have started to exceed the CPU on it doing things, and have had to move dns to my esxi server. I don't want my network dependant on the server as sometimes it does go down, (maintenance) and takes awhile to come back up.

Trying to find something a bit beafier that will run openwrt is a pain, most new .11ax stuff is broadcom, which is poorly/not supported on openwrt. Almost tempted to buy a small embedded device with 2 NICs, but even finding and deciding on that is tough.

Older stuff is discontinued or not available

15. Renza

Renza Member

I'd personally go the edgerouter over the USG if you're not going full in on Ubiquiti gear. Having to maintain the controller just to configure your router is overkill.

16. rickbishop

rickbishop Member

FWIW, I've got my asus hooked up to a second 16 port gigabit switch. I've got 5 wired devices and 6 wifi devices running on it. 1 of those devices goes through a VPN to sweden, while another goes through a VPN to the US, and the rest are local. I can be downloading a large torrent via sweden, watching US netflix, australian netflix, and australian disney+ all without missing a beat.

17. caspian

caspian Member

my old R7000 running DD-WRT does that plus running a work VPN at the same time, and it's the sole wifi access in the whole house including smart TVs at both ends. works fine, most modern hardware is far more than most people will ever need.

if it packs up now I'll be buying an Asus RT-AC88U and running Merlin on it.

18. Renza

Renza Member

I'm running merling on my R7000, works pretty well!

19. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

+1 for asus routers for home use.

20. caspian

caspian Member

sir_bazz recommended it to me at one point, which is good enough for me. the only reason I haven't tried it now is that I've got a stable DD-WRT firmware version that does everything I need, and after some previous shenanigans with getting VPN deadman switches and auto-restarts working without also screwing with VPNs initiated from LAN client devices (which impacts my ability to work from home), I'm not really game to touch it while it's working. :lol: