Best iCloud alternatives

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by antipody, Feb 28, 2019.

1. antipody

antipody Member

I have lots of video, music, pictures and stuff I want to store online. Probably want a few hundred gigs but would be happy to start with 50GB.

I made the mistake of trying iCloud today. Sure, I have a macbook pro which it is compatible with, but the way it works, syncing and managing with it's "optimisation" and only backing up desktop and documents on this machine, is not even worth the $1.50 month I just wasted. It just annoys me. I just want a folder to dump my files and know they are safe and accessible.

What are my alternatives these days? I haven't looked into the market for cloud storage since dropbox was a thing. Any suggestions?

2. Zee

Zee Member

I find Dropbox has the best integration. It just works like a hard drive, and behaves like any other folder - shared stuff appears, everything works as expected, I never need to log in once I've got it set up on my PC/Mac/iDevice/Android device.

We also have a Google account through my GF's company, and I do a lot of photography and editing for the web sites, and am constantly needing to access images on my various devices (depending on what I have with me at the time), and using G-drive is a pain in the arse. The desktop does not show me folders that others share to me, an sometimes it seems to have a mind of it's own, It is cheaper, though... In the end, I always end up just saving from G-drive (via web page) to my drop box account, editing via drop box, then copying back to G-drive.

Not sure about any others - if there is a cheaper service that offers as good as, or better integration across all platforms as Dropbox, I want to know.

Z...

3. 605jimmy

605jimmy Member

Agree with Zee.

I have used Dropbox since for ever. Used OneDrive, iCloud and Google Drive but Dropbox beats them all. Easy to use, nice layout, basic but lots of options at the same time.

4. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

My entire business is hosted with Gsuite and I can share photo's and video's seamlessly via Google Drive as well as sync important documents and files between devices using insync. In comparison the web interface of iCloud is a major PITA as you can only select one file at a time to download, absolutely ridiculous if you have 50 photo's+ to download!

You sure it's not more of a case that the individual sharing you photo's simply has no idea how to do it? Not that it's 'that' hard...

Google Photo's is fantastic with syncing photo's and video's with my phone to my desktop Linux PC, so easy, so simple.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  5. power

power Member

iCloud is a bucket of turds, recommend the google route.

6. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

+1 for Google drive
    Syncing photos and videos is stupid easy and edits are synced. The desktop program syncs all files and easily accessed and synchronised.

I think it's the best priced one as well afaik

7. miicah

miicah Member

OneDrive is pretty good, but I got all my storage for free through Telstra and work. So not sure on costs.

8. power

power Member

i racked up 15gb of free OneDrive over a couple of older promos back when it was Skydrive.

9. asho444

asho444 Member

One drive is pretty amazing with lots of functions, pretty sure you get 100gb free for 2 years if you claim it through a Samsung phone

10. Zee

Zee Member

Not sure, ut I have to log in to the web interface to access anything “shared”, I can’t get at shared content via the Gdrive widget on the side bar (where hdd’s Etc are)
    Z...

11. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

Horses for courses. iCloud is excellent as a no-fuss backup built-in method for idevices. It's not really intended for cross-platform sharing or even as a backup location for desktop/laptop computers, despite what Apple may say. But for an idevice, set it to backup the relevant data to iCloud, enable 2 factor authentication on your account, and for all intents and purposes, the data is securely and automatically stored and synced every night when you charge.

Some of the quibbles being raised about iCloud are more due to lack of research than its capabilities. For example, you can turn off the 'photo optimisation' option on your device and have iCloud store the original versions of your photos. You can select multiple photos in iCloud web, just hold down SHIFT or CTRL while clicking multiple photos or dragging across a range of images. The reason you need to log into iCloud to access shared content is purely for security purposes: the share is linked to the iCloud account of the person who is the intended sharee. That way, if anyone else gets the link, it's useless unless they can also log into your iCloud account. Again, all of this is because iCloud is first and foremost a secure storage area for your device backups.

Dropbox is the generally accepted cross-platform cloud storage provider. I find people have fewer problems if they're sent a Dropbox link. I use the free version for temporary storage/transfer of files or photos between devices and PCs. it's the easiest to use, and as long as you enable two factor, it's quite secure.

I also use the free Box service, which is similar to dropbox but offers 10GB of free storage, albeit with a 250MB max size per file, so it's perfect for lots of small files, like music mp3s.

Not a big fan of Google, so I try to steer clear of giving them my data. I haven't received a link to content on Gdrive recently, but last time I did I recall it required me to log into my Google Account, which I typically tried to avoid. Not sure if that was the sender's fault or not, but it bugged me.

Similar deal with OneDrive. I don't want to be logged into Windows with an MS account, and I certainly don't trust MS not to screw up and wind up exposing my data. Not to mention their constant backflips, like the time they stupidly gave people "unlimited" OneDrive storage, then in an equally stupid move, revoked it and reduced the space for all of their plans when (surprisingly!) people abused it.

I try to avoid cloud storage unless absolutely necessary. I store all of my music locally on my phone (10GB of downloaded itunes songs). Another option is to buy something like a wireless portable drive if you really need to store lots of data and take it with you. Call me paranoid, but I'm always concerned that a cloud provider will either lose, abuse, or expose my data.

12. flu!d

The problem with iCloud on Apple's desktop devices is the way it 'optimizes' the best way to manage your storage space - Not everything is 'backed up' in the cloud, similar to Microsoft's OneDrive folder protection. Makes it very confusing when the inevitable time comes to reinstall the OS and back up the user profile.

The other problem with OneDrive is that it uses a Microsoft account which effectively hijacks your whole user profile.

Than people aren't sharing files with you correctly. It's remarkably simple.

1. Add the file to your Google drive if it's not already there.
    2. Open the Google drive app (the web GUI should be identical).
    3. Open the file from within 'My Drive' to share.
    4. Press the hamburger icon.
    5. Enter the name of the person's Gmail/Gsuite account to share with.
    6. Accept if the person is outside of your organisation.
    7. Share.

Person at other end sees file has been shared via an alert or from within the Google Drive app itself and opens it or goes to the Google Drive app and looks under 'Shared With Me'. The user will also get a notification via Gsuite/Gmail and can open the shared file as an attachment.

Also remember, there's no data harvesting under Gsuite, unless you run Windows - Then there's data harvesting built into the OS itself.

In relation to sync software with Gsuite/Gmail. Use Insync. Multi platform support and hands down far better than Google's own client:

[​IMG]

Zee likes this.
  13. Zee

Zee Member

I'll check this out. Would be very freaking useful, as I currently have to do a shuffle to get at things people share. Seeing as I may be accessing via my iPad or my laptop, depending on what I need to do with the file.

Z...

flu!d likes this.
  14. flu!d

As a long term OCAU member you're always polite Zee, so appreciated.

No problem my friend!

Zee likes this.
  15. Zee

Zee Member

No worries at all - though I did forget to say "thanks".

I'll update once I get our staff to implement this - I'm very hopeful!

Z...

16. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

iCloud only good for backup and restores from Apple device to Apple device. For all else data, Google drive is pretty good but its fucking cumbersome just to get something done on mobile devices.

17. flu!d

The steps I described above are identical on mobile devices. How is that difficult?