Best iCloud alternatives

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by antipody, Feb 28, 2019.

1. antipody

antipody Member

I have lots of video, music, pictures and stuff I want to store online. Probably want a few hundred gigs but would be happy to start with 50GB.

I made the mistake of trying iCloud today. Sure, I have a macbook pro which it is compatible with, but the way it works, syncing and managing with it's "optimisation" and only backing up desktop and documents on this machine, is not even worth the $1.50 month I just wasted. It just annoys me. I just want a folder to dump my files and know they are safe and accessible.

What are my alternatives these days? I haven't looked into the market for cloud storage since dropbox was a thing. Any suggestions?

2. Zee

Zee Member

I find Dropbox has the best integration. It just works like a hard drive, and behaves like any other folder - shared stuff appears, everything works as expected, I never need to log in once I've got it set up on my PC/Mac/iDevice/Android device.

We also have a Google account through my GF's company, and I do a lot of photography and editing for the web sites, and am constantly needing to access images on my various devices (depending on what I have with me at the time), and using G-drive is a pain in the arse. The desktop does not show me folders that others share to me, an sometimes it seems to have a mind of it's own, It is cheaper, though... In the end, I always end up just saving from G-drive (via web page) to my drop box account, editing via drop box, then copying back to G-drive.

Not sure about any others - if there is a cheaper service that offers as good as, or better integration across all platforms as Dropbox, I want to know.

Z...